·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hkrustofsky

The dreaded P2647 code....

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

[IMG alt="Hkrustofsky"]https://www.elementownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/177/177436.jpg?1573072843[/IMG]
Hkrustofsky
Registered

Joined 4 mo ago
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago
Hello all; my 2006 El came down with P 2647 - Vtec actuator stuck on bank 1. I replaced the spool valve, solenoid, actuator & both screens. No change. I was really considering replacing the ECU with a used one...but even if you change it out...it has to be reflashed in your vehicle by honda. I went back to basics and started over. From the negative cable disconnected from the battery to the engine block read 80 ohms. I removed the battery, tray and this is what i found! Check all grounds before chasing any codes. The amazing thing is it still had continuity and ran.

Attachments

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
733 Posts
Hkrustofsky

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

[IMG alt="Hkrustofsky"]https://www.elementownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/177/177436.jpg?1573072843[/IMG]
Hkrustofsky
Registered

Joined 4 mo ago
·
5 Posts
Hello all; my 2006 El came down with P 2647 - Vtec actuator stuck on bank 1. I replaced the spool valve, solenoid, actuator & both screens. No change. I was really considering replacing the ECU with a used one...but even if you change it out...it has to be reflashed in your vehicle by honda. I went back to basics and started over. From the negative cable disconnected from the battery to the engine block read 80 ohms. I removed the battery, tray and this is what i found! Check all grounds before chasing any codes. The amazing thing is it still had continuity and ran.

Attachments
That's great news! Always start out any diagnosis with the simply and obvious stuff!

Anytime someone posts here about any no start or electrical problems, I always tell them to first check out the ground cable on the block.

I still have the original cable on mine, but here in FL any under body corrosion is never an issue.

But you are right! It's amazing you got any power at all through that almost gone cable!

I glad you finally solved the mystery! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It was driving me nuts cutting out at 2800 rpm. The correct ground cable is only available at honda OEM. It splits into 2.... One on top to the trans, the other to the LF inner fender.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good job.
This sure shows how important the correct voltage is for ECU functioning. I wish Honda had put in a real oil pressure gauge for us. These V-tech codes really need some oil pressure info to speed up the diagnostics.
Silly me, I forgot, the Honda dealer doesn't want us to be able to fix these problems ourselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. Thats why any key issues have to be resolved by honda. The "immobilizer" is only reprogrammed by honda. What a racket aye?

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had to replace the same battery cable on my Daughter's boyfriend's 2005 Element. There were a few more strands intact (maybe 9!) and the starter motor was cranking pretty slowly. What a difference with a new cable! BTW the Standard Brand P/N A21-6TA replacement cable has the twin leads and the correct lugs on the ends to fit the Element. As cheap as $16 shipped on eBay:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hkrustofsky

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Hkrustofsky
Registered

Joined 4 mo ago
·
5 Posts

Attachments
I have posted previously that any electrical or performance problem should start with a test of the starting and charging systems. A simple voltage drop test of the starting system would have found this in less than 5 minutes. That would have avoided chasing false fault codes and buying non-required parts.

For the record, anybody with the proper tooling can program Honda electronics. It is not limited to the dealers.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
For the record, anybody with the proper tooling can program Honda electronics. It is not limited to the dealers.
One really pleasing aspect of working on Toyotas instead of Honda is that the software is distributed all over the internet for free and the only other equipment needed is a cheap cable to hook up your laptop. Honda charges a small fortune just to license using their software and the cables aren't cheap either. I agree with the other poster that Honda doesn't WANT anyone using their "tooling" without a huge investment most owners would laugh at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts