Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda, why would you offer steering wheel paddel shifters on the Fit Sport, but not on the Element SC which is a sport version?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
No Element was designed with "sport" in mind.
The SC was designed to be an urban street crawler.
Plus paddle shifters suck anyway. You don't want them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
have you ever driven with paddle shifters? I did on the new Lancer. IT doesn't give you that "vrrrrmmm....rrrrrrunnnnnn.....n...vrmmmm" feeling in shifts, and it makes you feel like you're playing a really bad racing video game where you have to follow traffic rules and such. It's something to sell to a younger audience I guess, rather than makign a video game more realistic, they made real life more like a videogame, and it is not fun to drive, you will reach to the floor or right in front of you for the shifter still while you drive it, there's nothign comfortable about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never driven with paddle shifters so YMMV but every time I turn on Top Gear all I hear is Jeremy Clarkson swearing about how awful they are.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
In high performance race cars, paddle shifters are a necessity. You won't see a Formula-1 car without them. And in the road rally circuit - no pro team will race in a car without the new semi-automatic clutchless trans and paddle shifters. In race situations they shave a lot of time off, per lap, and give the driver a lot more control. Shifting the racing auto trans via paddle shifters, in the hands of a pro driver, shift times are cut by 2/3rds. Really makes a difference in racing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re: replies to paddle shifters

yes the E was not designed for sport, but neither was it desigened for NOPI racing,6 speed transmissions, turbochargers, or DOG friendlyversion. oh wait that one was from the factory so it must be right. of course who needs light bulbs when kerosene lamps work great. why dont you guys get a life and maybe some ideas of your own.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think what everyone is saying is that they are only worthwhile on race-cars, and other people think they suck. As for why they didn't come from Honda with them, the reason is "because". That's a question for Honda.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This paddles would work for cars like the Auto prelude which is a tiptronic.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I dream of paddle shifter, everytime I am in slow grinding less than 15mpg stop & go morning traffic, when I insisted on holding & sipping on my morning latte in one hand, but still wish to have more gear control to minimize braking. Unfortunately this is too often. :-(

I certainly could get a MT, but my experience with my old MT Toyota truck in the past told me either I have to drop my latte, which I don't really want to, :rolleyes: or I will have to switch my another hand between steering wheel & MT shifter. It became too unsafe for me I decided to get AT after my MT Toyota truck.

A paddle shifter on the steering wheel I would think is a little safer for one hand driver. ;-)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Almost, you need both hands to paddle shift up and down. If you only need to up-shift or down-shift then one hand would work.

The question would be more, what would they do with the spot for the shifter if they put a paddle shifter in?

I remember driving a Prelude with the manu-matic shifter and an Acura TL with one too. I didn't really like it too much. It was really hard to get used to the shifting. I kept trying to shift into second gear by throwing the shifter back.:-x
That was a very rough test drive and the Prelude didn't smell too good when I was done.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
yes the E was not designed for sport, but neither was it desigened for NOPI racing,6 speed transmissions, turbochargers, or DOG friendlyversion. oh wait that one was from the factory so it must be right. of course who needs light bulbs when kerosene lamps work great. why dont you guys get a life and maybe some ideas of your own.

·
Registered
523 Posts
have you ever driven with paddle shifters? I did on the new Lancer. IT doesn't give you that "vrrrrmmm....rrrrrrunnnnnn.....n...vrmmmm" feeling in shifts, and it makes you feel like you're playing a really bad racing video game where you have to follow traffic rules and such. It's something to sell to a younger audience I guess, rather than makign a video game more realistic, they made real life more like a videogame, and it is not fun to drive, you will reach to the floor or right in front of you for the shifter still while you drive it, there's nothign comfortable about it.
The new Lancer has a CVT and that is the reason why you aren't used to the shifting. It acts like that whether you are paddling or not. They are on my gf's Rogue with the CVT and she has never used them. I did once or twice, nothing special.

why dont you guys get a life and maybe some ideas of your own.
:lol: Don't ask for peoples opinion if you are going to throw a tantrum. TO answer your original question, they don't offer it because they decided very few people want it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The new Lancer has a CVT and that is the reason why you aren't used to the shifting. It acts like that whether you are paddling or not. They are on my gf's Rogue with the CVT and she has never used them. I did once or twice, nothing special.
Ditto that - the CVT is a "Continuously variable transmission", so no "shift-points". It doesn't change gears at all. Instead a belt travels up and down a conical pulley, so you have "infinite" gears. They can be fun to shift with paddle shifters if they are programmed right. Many CVTs have a "Sports" mode that you can engage, usually with a button near the shifter, that changes the feel of the shifting to more agressive and similar to a regular trans.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Almost, you need both hands to paddle shift up and down. If you only need to up-shift or down-shift then one hand would work.

The question would be more, what would they do with the spot for the shifter if they put a paddle shifter in?

I remember driving a Prelude with the manu-matic shifter and an Acura TL with one too. I didn't really like it too much. It was really hard to get used to the shifting. I kept trying to shift into second gear by throwing the shifter back.:-x
That was a very rough test drive and the Prelude didn't smell too good when I was done.
Actually, in Ford's flappy-paddle cars, the paddles on either side of the wheel are duplicates of each other. If you pull toward you, you upshift, and if you press away from you, you downshift.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the correction on those. I had no idea how they were set up on non-race cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
just give me the VW R32 VR6, the Haldex AWD system, and the DSG gearbox. in my element, thanks much.

:D

ive driven the Fit with flappers, and it sucks buttocks. the DSG on the R32 (and on various Audis, such as dad's A3) is really damned good, as long as you fiddle with the shift settings in the menu for a bit.

i love flappy-paddles if they're done properly - clarkson et al have been more forgiving of the systems as time has made them better. plus, its nice when you run into RTP (Research Triangle Park, for those who don't know about NC) traffic on I-40 @ 5:30PM, being able to shove the puppy into that "a" mode would be SUPER nice on my mangled knee (surgically unrepairable at this point, thanks killington!).

i doubt honda could do a really great shifting system without making the manufacturing costs a bit higher, which leads to higher prices, which leads to nobody buying the damn thing.

5speed manual is great. could do with a 6th gear, but i'll survive.

oh, and LOL @ youmad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts