Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for anyone who has personal experience or personal observations of someone effectively painting a Honda Element plastic bumper or fender panel.

My '03 Element received font-end damage. The body shop in Michigan cannot figure out how to keep paint on the plastic bumper. The car was previously COMPLETELY custom painted (plastic panels and bumpers too) in Thousand Oaks, California. Here in Michigan they say they have never seen it, nor heard of procedures to effectively keep paint on the plastic parts. They tried sanding, plastic primering and using adhesion promoters in the paint,but the paint popped off during the first cold freeze. The body shop guys here in Michigan obviously Don't know what they are doing and my car insurance rep has asked me to ask around to try to get this done right.

PLEASE help with your professional advice.

Thanks to all who respond.

By the way: The original painter is no longer in business and I haven't found a forwarding address. But if anyone knows where Vels Motorsports has gone, please do tell!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Go to a different body shop. Adhesion promoters on plastic is pretty common place at any acceptable shop.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Considering about 90% of cars have plastic bumpers that are painted and the paint stays on them I would cry foul and visit another body shop. Certain plastics do not hold paint well but almost any surface if prepped right will hold paint. Shops that don't prep the surfaces right or use the proper materials wrong will cause the problems you mention. I have seen many jobs come in with flaking paint or clear because of improper spraying or too much flash time or many other mistakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts