Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their splashguards? I'm getting some for the E and thought that they would look really nice body-colored (at least on the back-side, leaving the wheel opening side black).

I thought light sanding, then primer, paint and a coupla clear-coats should do it, but what about the paint flaking if the splashguards flex a little? Was going to buy the matching paint and do it myself, but do you think I need a flex additive like they use when repainting bumpers?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even with flex mixed in the paint it will crack, especially in colder weather.
You really think it will crack easily? Have not seen the splashguards yet (should be here tomorrow), but I would have thought they'd be rigid enough...

I previously wouldn't have been concerned with the few cold(ish) days we typically have each year, but after a week of 30-40 degree temps, I can see the potential for problems...:-(

I'd hate to go through all the trouble of prepping and painting just to have em crack and flake...

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I had mine painted professionally and they haven't cracked at all in a year and a half. After I backed over a few parking blocks they were all scraped up so I bought some Krylon Fusion paint and touched them up and they still look good.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've had mine professionally painted back in 2004 and they have cracked but still looks pretty decent. Most people never even noticed but since its my car, I know its there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts