Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've seen several Black Billet Grills, but all the ones I could find were polished metal ect. So I got a deal and got the polished ones but before I put them on I'd like to paint them black. But have no idea what the best paint for the job would be...

My ideas included using a 100g steel wool and then using a rustoleum black grill paint. Figured it'd hold up well in heat and should bond to the metal really well?

other ideas included powder coating it but I have no idea where to get the powder for that and don't want to pay 150+ in a body shop to get it done..

Any Suggestions/ideas would be a great help!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For this on Yahoo answers
Yes. However, many people paint billet grilles only to have them start flaking after awhile. The mistake they make is little or no prep work. Before painting a surface like billet, you need to really scuff it up using sandpaper so that the paint has a surface that it will adhere to well. You also need to clean it very well, after scuffing it up, using soap and water and then rubbing alcohol. This is to remove any dirt, dust or oil that may have gotten onto it. Then you need to choose a suitable paint. It needs to be a paint that will remain somewhat flexible and tough so it won't be compromised by road debris hitting it and won't start cracking and flaking with temperature changes (we all know metal expands and contracts as temperature changes). You will also want to apply several coats of paint using sandpaper again to scuff up each coat before applying a new one (obviously, don't scuff the final coat). When tackling a project like this, the longer you take, the better the results. Take your time with the prep work and make sure the paint drys completely before applying a new coat and before installing it on your vehicle. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Source(s):
Mazda Automotive Tech
saw on another site they used 120 grit paper so was gonna stick to that and use the rustoleum grille paint because its made for high heat and such. anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
If you want Black then use spray on bedliner! It withstands the stone hits with little or no chipping. It is also a plastic coating that eliminates rust. It's about the same cost as a can of paint. I think I paid about 8$ for the can at AutoZone last time. Mine needs to be touched up after 5 years of use. It has stopped some good sized chunks of rock over the years! I still have one of the stones. It came off a dump truck on the Highway. It was an Inch wide and 2 3/4 inches long. Crushed stone, with a point at one end that got stuck in the opening of the grill guard. If that had hit the condenser, It would have put a hole in it.

bedliner.jpg

Dom

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Dom,

did you use the same prep techniques as was found on yahoo answers or did you just spray it on the billet?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Cleaned it with paint thinner. That's all I did.
I coated The back as well to encase all sides.

Dom

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Thanks! I have been thinking about a billet grill, but would prefer something black.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I installed the grill yesterday, will put pics up today when i take some pics, I chose to leave it as is at the moment because it doesnt look all that bad as the way it came. Its a powder coated black grill and the front is polished steal look.

came out great but I may find myself pulling it off and doing what you suggested..

I looked through your posts Dom but coulding find any that showed pics of your E lol, any possibility to post a few pics of your grill to show bout what it looks? and is the coating textured? or does it go on smooth?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
That's Easy !

IMG_2516 (Small).JPG

Just Kidding !

Grill guard 2.JPG

E-Tires 2.JPG

Dom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after it came and i saw how dark it was i decided it didnt look bad how it came so i decided to keep it chrome'ish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts