Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the SC's with the roof modling being the same colour as the whole body.

However, I want an AWD and I like the "rugged" Element look better. I probably won't lift it, but I diffinently don't want a lower riding Element. Unfortunately, all the none SC Element have black roof molding.

To me, that breaks up the lines of an SUV and makes it look like some extended cab truck with a black camper top at most viewing angles.

It occured to me that I can probably buy the SC roof molding at Majestic....and I can.

Problem is, I was leaning towards getting a Tango Red Pearl Element and looks like the special SC only colour is Midnight Red Pearl. I thought maybe that was just another way to say Tango Red...but actually that first pic is midnight red and the #3 pic is tango red and of course since they had midnight red, it'd be redundant to also do a tango red SC. So tango red seems to be the only colour you cannot get the SC roof molding in.

Anyone paint the roof modling? I am thinking besides colour, the SC's roof modling is much different then the LX/EX since the SC's molding is $100ish each and the LX/EX is $40ish. SC's is probably ridgid and the LX/EX is probably very flexible. Not sure if a body shop can just apply a layer of somekinda hardener and then paint it and have a long lasting molding. Probably even with a hardener on it, it'll still be too flexible and I'll get cracks on the paint job sooner or later.

Probably better to buy the SC molding in whatever color and then have a paint shop color match it....but that will be $500 to $600 for the molding and then not sure how much to color match. Any ideas for colour matching cost on the molding? My other option is to just get an LX/EX AWD in black or maybe even Omni Blue, then probably not even worry about the molding if I get the black.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Found a color matching online site.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

Might just try painting the stock molding myself, using their color match kit. If I did it here, I have access to a paint booth and nice paint guns that some friends have, but not buying the Element till I transfer to my new base....which should have a paint booth as well hopefully.

Kit can come with the color match in a rattle can or in quarts/gallon containers. Looks like I need to apply an adhesion promoter, rubebrized primer and basecoat. The kit comes with that and more, but they don't seem to have an option for clear coat. Does the element not have a clear coat? (edit: nevermind, they have a rattle can clear although no kit includes it, you can add it. I was looking for quarts of it)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definately doable. Mine were done at a body shop prior to delivery.

Looks sharp, but I'm guessing Honda left'em unfinshed for folks who want to load stuff on the roof with racks to eliminate scratching.

Good luck!

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts