Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my e last Sunday, Its and 04 EX 4WD MT and I originally wanted an SC because I didn't like the panels, They are starting to grow on me though.
I wanted to try however painting the roof cladding because I think it makes the roof line look lower and sleeker.
I got the drivers side done, I had issues with fisheyes in the primer so its got some spots that dont look to hot.
If I do the passenger pieces myself I am definetly getting some better chemical stripper/degreaser to remove the silicone and oils better.
I may eventually get them re-done by a buddy that does auto paint work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plastic primer (had the issue with fisheyes)
2 coats duplicolor NHBP exact match 6oz spray touch up paint cans (took 2 @ $5ea)
duplicolor clear topcoat

·
Registered
338 Posts
plastic primer (had the issue with fisheyes)
2 coats duplicolor NHBP exact match 6oz spray touch up paint cans (took 2 @ $5ea)
duplicolor clear topcoat
nice nice; thats a pretty good price on NHBP in a can...

my paint supply store charges like 17 dollas a can...

·
Registered
478 Posts
hey acb..i need to do this...i swapped my 05 panels out for the painted black ones..but the top trim makes the car look visually higher..if u know what i mean..

where exactly did you find the nhbp paint?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly what you mean, thats why I wanted to paint them. I love how the simple painted top trim makes the roofline look so much lower on the SC.

the paint is easy to find. NAPA.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, thats why I wanted to paint them. I love how the simple painted top trim makes the roofline look so much lower on the SC.

the paint is easy to find. NAPA.

Its not just the fact that the roof trim is painted on the SC that makes it look lower.....The roof trim is in fact lower than the LX/EX model trim.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not just the fact that the roof trim is painted on the SC that makes it look lower.....The roof trim is in fact lower than the LX/EX model trim.
Oh, you'll have to forgive me, I didn't realize they were actually different. I thought paint was the only difference.
having taken off the trim i can see where there is a little room to make them slightly lower profile but not much. They look identical in photos.

is it a direct swap for the 3 trim pieces (per side)....the body is identical right?

·
Registered
510 Posts
not gonna lie, thats pretty slick lookin, good job!

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts
Oh, you'll have to forgive me, I didn't realize they were actually different. I thought paint was the only difference.
having taken off the trim i can see where there is a little room to make them slightly lower profile but not much. They look identical in photos.

is it a direct swap for the 3 trim pieces (per side)....the body is identical right?

Every thing under the trim is the same. The sheet metal hasn't changed. The Sc trim pieces come pre-painted so all you would have to do is swap them over.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you remove the top trim or simply tape it off?
I did alot of sanding on them (but not quite enough in hidsight) so i removed them.
I ended up getting some spare clips because its inevitable that you will break some.

I know better now for when I do the passenger side all the mistakes not to make. I will likely get them professionally re-done if and when i ever get my fenders and tailgate plastics painted.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mistakes to learn from:
- Dont rush
- have or be ready to buy extra clips if you remove the cladding.
- Degrease heavily before doing anything else
- Dont sand first and then wash/degrease in 1 step...you will just spread and grind in the silicone and oils from all of products (back-to-black and armor-all) thats likely been on there.
- Dont rush
- Cant hurt to degrease/dawn them again when rinsing the sanding dust off just to be safe
- Test a small area with your plastic primer, if you get any fisheyes or defects STOP, you didnt do something right above. let it dry and sand it off, start over with better degreaser/cleaner.
- Dont rush!

·
Registered
478 Posts
o word..imm prob gunna tape em off with newspapers n all that..n sand it strip it n spray it..cant afford any xpensive mods after my tein basics get here

1 - 14 of 14 Posts