Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 2004 black Element with gray panals, i didnt like the gray panals so i was thiniking of getting them professionally painted, eather flat black or the color of the car. Is there any problems with painting the panals?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just got a 2004 black Element with gray panals, i didnt like the gray panals so i was thiniking of getting them professionally painted, eather flat black or the color of the car. Is there any problems with painting the panals?
this is how it will look after :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
If you plan to leaving them the way they are, and just want to paint over them, then it's just a matter of thoroughly cleaning them with a brush and an alcohol based product, prime them and spray paint them. If you want them to match the body then you would take them to a professional body shop where they would have to be sanded down, a resin coat, more sanding and resin until they are smooth, then primed, and painted to match the body. You can also buy the '06 fender panels that already come primed and just have them painted to match the body.

Chief

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i want to a couple of paint shops over the weekend to see if i can get my gray panals painted eather flat black or the color of my car and every where i went they said that the paint would crack and the plastic would melt if they tryed to sand it and paint it :-( , is there any other way? can you buy black panals?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
so i want to a couple of paint shops over the weekend to see if i can get my gray panals painted eather flat black or the color of my car and every where i went they said that the paint would crack and the plastic would melt if they tryed to sand it and paint it :-( , is there any other way? can you buy black panals?
Buy the pre-primed panels for the 2006 and get them painted @ a body shop to match or any color you want - no fuss, no muss

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
where can i order those panals at? does majestic honda web site sell them?
Yeap, majestic should have 'em, also look @ HandA, my local dealer here in KC will price match when forced.
When ordering the panels you want the panels for an EX-P element

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
That's a lie, they were either lazy or just didn't know what the hell they were doing. My panels have been painted for over two years and I've never had any problems at all. It requires sanding, applying resin, and sanding until the surface is smooth, applying a self-etching type of primer, then the panels are ready to accept paint. Just go to any body shop that works on Corvettes, they definitely know the process. Or as ORANGEE pointed out, you can buy the '06 panels and they already come smooth and pre-primed.

Chief

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
That's a lie, they were either lazy or just didn't know what the hell they were doing. My panels have been painted for over two years and I've never had any problems at all. It requires sanding, applying resin, and sanding until the surface is smooth, applying a self-etching type of primer, then the panels are ready to accept paint. Just go to any body shop that works on Corvettes, they definitely know the process. Or as ORANGEE pointed out, you can buy the '06 panels and they already come smooth and pre-primed.

Chief

Darth, you pointed that out in your reply first............................

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mine have been painted since 2004, 1 week after taking it home from the dealership and it still looks flawless. Like Chief said, its all in the prepwork. In fact, it was hit a few years ago cracking the front bumper and the paint still didnt try to flake or peel off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you spray or roll the raptor coating? I want to try the raptor coating.
Not the guy you quoted, but I used Raptor Liner and rolled it on. It turned out okay, but I would go with the spray since you'll be able to see "roll" marks. When I have the time, I plan to remove the panels and re-spray. Will post an album when I get it done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts