Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does anyone know the best way to paint the plastic panels? thanks
GatorBro15...I have an 04 EX and my panels were fading almost to the point where they were white. I read in one of the threads that someone used the Dupont Krylon Fusion paint which claims to be specially formulated for any kind of plastic. I bought a can of Black Matte and tried it. i used a total of 3 cans to do all the panels. I'll have to say I was quite impressed with the outcome. Here are some tips to help you out:

1. Make sure the ambient air temperature is at least 60 degrees F and you paint inside a garage or other suitable inside location.
2. Do a good job at masking the areas you do not want painted.
3. Shake the can for at least 5 minutes before application.
4. Clean the area with an ammonia based cleaner prior to application (I used windex and paper towels).
5. Wear a dust mask or respirator when applying the paint.

After I was finished my neighbor asked me when I got a new car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks jackson49 i may try it soon. just need to wait until it actually gets below 60 degrees here in florida

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks jackson49 i may try it soon. just need to wait until it actually gets below 60 degrees here in florida
I think that means above 60 :D

290 Posts
I'll give a plug for the Dupont Krylon Fusion paint too. I painted inside of the "H" on the grill with Honda blue. It really stands out. An easy, inexpensive way to personalize your E.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
mothers back to black is all you needed, its like $4.99 and a sponge...Rub it on, stays good for months, and then you can do it again and again, looks like new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use turtle wax tire wet n' black on all of the black plastics on my V. It works great and lasts a long time but it will make smear marks on the paint that you will have to wash off but it will not ruin the paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used Dupli-Colors Bumper coating, it comes in Lt Grey, Med Gray and Black. I used the black and used around 6 or 7 cans at $6 a can. That did around around three coats a panel. Painted the panel while they were still on the car just masked and covered the rest of the car for over spary. Sure made a hell of a difference going from Lt. Grey to Black with less that $50. Check out there website for more info on that Bumper coating. Picked it up at Advance Auto Parts....

·
Registered
1 Posts
GatorBro15...I have an 04 EX and my panels were fading almost to the point where they were white. I read in one of the threads that someone used the Dupont Krylon Fusion paint which claims to be specially formulated for any kind of plastic. I bought a can of Black Matte and tried it. i used a total of 3 cans to do all the panels. I'll have to say I was quite impressed with the outcome. Here are some tips to help you out:

1. Make sure the ambient air temperature is at least 60 degrees F and you paint inside a garage or other suitable inside location.
2. Do a good job at masking the areas you do not want painted.
3. Shake the can for at least 5 minutes before application.
4. Clean the area with an ammonia based cleaner prior to application (I used windex and paper towels).
5. Wear a dust mask or respirator when applying the paint.

After I was finished my neighbor asked me when I got a new car.
That is a very useful steps of painting the panels....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used Dupli-Colors Bumper coating, it comes in Lt Grey, Med Gray and Black. I used the black and used around 6 or 7 cans at $6 a can. That did around around three coats a panel. Painted the panel while they were still on the car just masked and covered the rest of the car for over spary. Sure made a hell of a difference going from Lt. Grey to Black with less that $50. Check out there website for more info on that Bumper coating. Picked it up at Advance Auto Parts....
thanks that sounds pretty good

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Wheres the pics:confused:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4 Posts
okay i'm obviously not getting an answer for the above question.

here's another question:
what color do YOU think would look best to paint the plastic panels on a black element? and with what paint?

:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
okay i'm obviously not getting an answer for the above question.

here's another question:
what color do YOU think would look best to paint the plastic panels on a black element? and with what paint?

:)
ruiner....I'm not sure if there are any "metal" panels already painted available for your E but as I stated earlier in this thread I used the Krylon Fusion paint on mine. The color is Satin Black. $4.39 a can at WalMart.:razz:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay, for all of those that are interested in painting their grey panels black... Just do it... :D

Now, I painted my panels with the Krylon Fusion satin black and have MANY compliments...
I chose to remove all the panels and paint them individually and the whole process took me 2 days to complete. Now guys, I know you are asking yourselves... " I don't know if I could do that " Well, you can... Just to give you a little boost of encouragment, I have cancer that I have been fighting for some time so when I'm working on my E I often get tired and have to take many breaks, so I know you all can do it... If you choose to remove all the panels then be prepared to replace a lot of the body clips that hold the panels to the E. I didn't mind paying for new clips because I really didn't want to tape up my whole truck and paint. The only product I used to clean my panels before painting was denatured alcohol and a rag to "scrub" the panels with the alcohol. The alcohol evaporates quickly so their was no time waiting for the panels to dry before painting. I painted my panels about 4 months ago and have gone through SEVERAL pressure washings and hand washings and the panels still look emaculate. I would rather paint them then use the dye... I used the dye when I first purchased my E and that was the worse thing I ever did to my panels. Whenever a bug would hit my panels and then I washed it, it would "chip" the dye away... And yes I used the Forever Black, which I do NOT recommend. I will try to post some pictures of my panels when I get an opportunity to get outside, I just got out of surgery so movement for me is not good right now.... Good luck to those who choose to paint with Krylon Fusion... You'll love it!!! :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts