Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to paint the plastic on my Element. I see there is specific spray paint for this but only black or gray. Can i get bumper paint in a different color. Or use an alternative? Has anyone tried this with success?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I painted just my roof panels with Dupli-Color Trim & Bumper paint in the Dark Charcoal color and in an aerosol can. It turned out very well, has been on there about 6 months or so, and still looks great. It has a nice satin finish and the color is a pretty good match to the original; maybe just a tiny bit darker than the original color.

But, being up high on the vehicle, it's not subject to things like tar and gravel that the fender panels will get; so...............

I used Mother's Back to Black on my fender panels; which worked surprisingly well! My panels were looking pretty rough; having spent ~ 16 years outside in the Florida sun! But they looked almost new again after using the B2B.

If you want to change the color, I know the Dupli-Color Trim & Bumper paint is available in at least a few different colors.

If you are thinking about painting the side panels the same as your Body Color (unless your Body Color is Black), then things might get a bit tricky. Do a search; as this has been discussed on this site several times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've heard good things about painting panels with the Duplicolor Trim paint. Does anyone know how often this has to be touched up or of any peeling issues? Is there prep involved other than cleaning like adding an adhesion promoter like Bulldog?

·
Registered
568 Posts
When I painted my Roof Panels, all I did in the way of prep is is wash them clean, and scuff the surface thoroughly with a dark red Scotch Brite pad. This worked well, and still left the texture on the panels intact. I didn't even remove the panels from the car; I just carefully masked them off and went right to the Dupli-Color paint. It's like 7 months old now, and still looks great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts