Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of trial and error, I think I figure out how to fix my VERY stained panels (it was embarrassing). I use a two process method, after give the E a good bath i spray the panels with foaming tire cleaner, be sure to use a piece of cardboard to prevent overspray from getting on the paint or glass. Allow it to set and wipe away any excess.

Then apply "Stoners Trim Shine"
Again using a piece of cardboard to protect the paint from overspray.

It takes a while but it works great and doesn't leave a dust and gnat collecting film like Mother B2B tends too do.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This sounds like a much easier method than PBing the panels. However, before and after pics will tell the whole story! I would love to do this. So can we see the results atleast?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Gee, I don't see any benefit to giving either plastic panels or black rubber tires a slippery shine. The natural clean appearance of either is shiny enough.

Unless they get splattered with road tar, I just wash the panels, the tires, and the wheels, the same way that I wash the paint, and once a year, spray them both with Aerospace Formula 303.

I don't even have to wipe them down. Most of the time a good shower is enough to completely rinse away dust and bugs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee, I don't see any benefit to giving either plastic panels or black rubber tires a slippery shine. The natural clean appearance of either is shiny enough.

Unless they get splattered with road tar, I just wash the panels, the tires, and the wheels, the same way that I wash the paint, and once a year, spray them both with Aerospace Formula 303.

I don't even have to wipe them down. Most of the time a good shower is enough to completely rinse away dust and bugs.
You don't live in in the desert.

I'll put up some pics soon, I think there are some spots that I didn't get so well to give you an idea of the Before/After

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
You don't live in in the desert....
True, but because it chemically bonds with the materials, 303 as a base treatment is a better solution to retarding UV damage to rubber and plastic than any wax or polish. After 5+ years of using just 303 on them, my plastic panels and my first set of tires sidewalls looked like new.

Because of your vehicle's environment to deal with high temperatures and ground-reflected sun, you may need to apply 303 more often than I do to deal with cold temps and sun levels in an urban area. I'd recommend you use 303 in the inner sidewalls of your tires and all the under-hood elastomeric materials.

Since your E is exposed to desert debris abrasion, frequent waxing of your painted surfaces and coating the plastic panels with Honda's panel coating will give you added mechanical protection that I don't need in Chicago. Thankfully, I just need to use paste wax on my paint once a year.

I don't think that Tire Shine will do more to slow sun or abrasion damage to your tires than a non-greasy hard wax tire dressing. but IMO, either one would work better on bare rubber that had been pre-treated with 303.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts