Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here...and after looking through the site seeking an answer and not finding it...I thought I would share what I discovered to fix My problem.

2007 Element...I had troubles with the battery draining in about 2 days.

It is a fleet vehicle and all stock...160k miles

I had replaced the battery first thinking it was about due. That did not fix the problem.Alternator charging at 14.3 volts...

I then began searching for the circuit. I used a clamp on style amp meter and discovered a 200ma draw.

Of course I checked the usual stuff...stuck relays and such.

I traced it to the number 9 under hood fuse.."back up"

I had seen here on the site this had been mentioned a few times...along with the explanation of the computer/multiplexer and how it has timers for dome lights ect.

What I discovered was...

The rear hatch has 2 switches...one for the top...one for the bottom.

The driver of the car had noticed the dome light staying on after closing the door(hatch) and turned it off.

However...the computer still saw the hatch as open and refused to go to sleep...even though the light had been turned off.

When I checked the upper switch...it was bad in the open(contacts closed) position.

When I disconnected the switch...amp draw dropped to below 10ma and all is well.

I would assume the same would hold true for the lower switch as well.

So...I would suggest to those with the same trouble...begin there first...check and see if the light is in the off position...if so...move to the auto position and see if it comes on...then goes out when you close the hatch.

Check the operation by turning the light to manual...just to make sure the bulb works.

The light needs to go out when the hatch closes. If not...I would begin with pulling the cover off(it was easy to do..nice clips they use) and unplug the switch...blue connector on the driver side of the latch.

If this doesn't do it...the I would suspect the lower switch.

I did not disassemble the lower part so I have no suggestions for that...although it should be easy...and again..unplug the switch.

With the upper switch unplugged...the lower one still functions as normal... I would assume the opposite to be true.

Yes..there is a warning diagram on the dash showing doors open...However the one for the rear is kinda' tough to notice unless you know the car fairly well...and yes...after seeing it with the switch disconnected...I saw the sliver of light that shows the hatch open...much different than the "flaps" that shows a door open...it is now out.

I do hope this information will help others...as I said..I looked through the posts and found information...but in the end nobody seemed to have an answer.

I am sure this is but one cure for the problem...but one that wasn't mentioned.

Thank you,

Ed

·
Registered
204 Posts
This has been driving me nuts for awhile. Back towards the end of summer we went to a Drive-In movie. I was concerned I would run my E's battery down while playing radio station for a couple of hours to get the movie sound. Well there was no problem that night car started right up after the show. Then over the next few weeks I started getting some slow cranking at cold starts, and I figured the battery had been strained by that night and it was pretty old anyway. So I got a fresh new battery and thought everything was OK. From day one It didn't seem like a great improvement just thought I needed to put a few miles on it to get it up to charge or dig out my battery tender. But first near frost morning and the battery was real weak. Charged it and weather was warmer again and no problems for a while but as soon as it's cooler the thing has no cold cranking power. Was just about to return it and saw this post. Thinking back to the drive-in night and I can remember turning off the rear overhead light when the hatch was open while tailgating. Checked it again and it was still in the off position. Put it back to auto position, light is on when hatch open fades off after closed and NO MORE battery drain. Freaky!! Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been having slow start issues as well when leaving the car for a while, I suspected a drain from somewhere. This is a great explanation, thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 06 manual transmission, 114,xxx miles.

The upper lock latch on my passenger side suicide door does not latch, it causes the light to come on on the dashboard and the dome light to be on. I manually shut the dome light off, this had been going on for about 4 months.

Then 2 months ago my battery died, it was the stock battery and lasted 8 years, I got a new one. I replaced the battery and things seemed to be fine. While I was out of town for a week my car sat and upon my return the battery was dead, I jumped it. Then last week the car sat for just under 2 days and died again. I got a jump and took in to the Knecht's auto store where I purchased the battery. They tested the battery which was fine and said the alternator had good voltage. They mentioned a parasitic drain but knew nothing about it. I mentioned to them the door latch and light, which they didnt seem to think it would have anything to do with the problem.

Why did this not drain my first battery? How come it is only happening with the new battery?

Any thoughts or suggestions? thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took the back door paneling off the suicide door and unplugged the lock connecter. This made the dash light turn off. I hope there is still no chance of a drain. Anybody have experience with this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts