Honda Element Owners Club banner

Parked next to a Hummer yesterday...

4K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  Rallyegirl 
#1 ·
and, man, did it make my SOP look great! 8)

Huge olive green hummer (that had obviously never been driven anywhere that didn't have 4 lanes) with my trim orange box beside it...I wish I'd had a camera.

#2 ·
is that a good thing???..I know from reading articles that the Hummer leaves the assembly lines with an average of 125 defects ...now that's bad...and to get an average of 10mpg...... :roll: ...I don't see the comparison...... :?

#3 ·
I just can not get over how many Hummers I see each week here in central NC. I see an average of 2-3 per week traveling on I-40. The odd thing is that it's not just the same few vehicles, either. I've seen white ones, black ones, yellow ones, a green one, big ones, smaller ones. I'm just amazed that there are that many folks out there willing to spend that kind of money on a gigantic, highly impractical, ostentatious, almost offensive vehicle. But, the flip side is that I'm starting to see more Elements, too.

#5 ·
The Hummer is the vehicle for people that have more money than taste.
The Element is the vehicle for people that wished they had more money than taste, but realize that the trade-off isn't so bad after all...

#7 ·
How peculiar!! I parked in an Applebees (restarant) lot and when I came out this big black Hummer with HUGE tires was parked next to my Eternal Blue, flamed Mini-Hummer (changed the Elemet badge in back to be replaced with "Mini HUMMER"). I hope he got a look at my license plate frame. It said, "When I grow up, I wanna be a HUMMER!"

Ger

#8 ·
[quote:78a3ea06e1="Ger Brassfield"]How peculiar!! I parked in an Applebees (restarant) lot and when I came out this big black Hummer with HUGE tires was parked next to my Eternal Blue, flamed Mini-Hummer (changed the Elemet badge in back to be replaced with "Mini HUMMER"). I hope he got a look at my license plate frame. It said, "When I grow up, I wanna be a HUMMER!"

Ger[/quote:78a3ea06e1]

pix??

#9 ·
I will never understand the mystique of the Hummer, nor the comparisons of the Element to said vehicle (they don't even look remotely similar!). Even if money were no object, you'd never catch me behind the wheel of a Hummer. I think they are overkill, especially here in Chicago or other urban settings. I've never known an H2 owner, but my guess is most buy them just for the status (or to compensate for the size of their ...... homes :wink: ).
Anyway -- long live the E! I think the H2 craze will fizzle out in time...

#11 ·
[quote:bcbfdd9573="SheeKawgO"]I will never understand the mystique of the Hummer, nor the comparisons of the Element to said vehicle (they don't even look remotely similar!). Even if money were no object, you'd never catch me behind the wheel of a Hummer. I think they are overkill, especially here in Chicago or other urban settings. I've never known an H2 owner, but my guess is most buy them just for the status (or to compensate for the size of their ...... homes :wink: ).
Anyway -- long live the E! I think the H2 craze will fizzle out in time...[/quote:bcbfdd9573]

well said....I'm glad someone likes to type.. :wink: :D .

#13 ·
zozohead said:
In the old days I wondered if only jerk drove Suburbans, or if driving a Suburban made you an jerk.

With the arrival of the Hummer, I've begun to rethink it.

No offense intended to soccer moms in their Suburbans.
Actually - I think you were correct about Suburbans, but Hummers bring being an a**hole to a whole new level. They both basically say, "I want to ruin the planet - bonus points if I can kill you in a collision"

#14 ·
www.fuh2.com

my friend just had her Prelude effed up by a retarded H2 driver who didn't bother to look behind him as he backed up. Now she's stuck driving a rental jeep liberty while her car gets fixed. She hates H2's. ;)

#15 ·
My Better Half refers to the Element as "A Hummer for Vegetarians"

#16 · (Edited)
For those of you who read books, you might want to find a recent book, HUMMER, written by Marty Padgett. I found it at the library. He traces the history of the Hummer, how Arnold, The Governor, GM’s desperation to find something new, and the Gulf Wars helped to bring it to market. This isn’t a book review and I type slow, but the first chapter addresses some interesting points: The first cars were, by necessity, SUV’s (No good roads). How is an Element, Outback, or a Forrester trucks? Which vehicle was the first SUV?
Marty is a writer and car reviewer for The Car Connection and clearly a huge fan of the Hummer.

Now why would I post this here at EOC? On page16 Marty says his own cars are an E and a Toyota Prius. Maybe he’s a member?

#17 ·
punkgeek said:
Actually - I think you were correct about Suburbans, but Hummers bring being an a**hole to a whole new level. They both basically say, "I want to ruin the planet - bonus points if I can kill you in a collision"
Believe it or not there are legitimat reasons for some people to own suburbans and other large vehicles. I own a GMC 4wd crewcab pickup truck in order to pull my 3500lb. walleye boat and trailer. And no,a vehicle rated at 3500lb. towing cap. will not do the job.

#18 ·
wankerklink said:
Believe it or not there are legitimat reasons for some people to own suburbans and other large vehicles. I own a GMC 4wd crewcab pickup truck in order to pull my 3500lb. walleye boat and trailer. And no,a vehicle rated at 3500lb. towing cap. will not do the job.
I concur, there are fine reasons such as yours - too bad that nine out of ten buyers are not buying for those reasons. ;-)

#19 ·
I work in the logistics process of the H2 & newcoming H3 project .. Mostly we arrange the transportation and JIT (just in time) delivery of different parts of the vehicles, mostly chassis parts.

You would be shocked to see the number of parts that come from India that end up on a $45,000 vehicle.

#20 · (Edited)
Neighbor thought my E was a Hummer

One of my neighbors was complimenting me on my E and added: "Hummer, right?"

He was serious. Maybe the green paint makes it a little military looking. Maybe it was the contrast with my Miata.

I laughed, noted that it is a Honda, and then kindly observed that I didn't know who should be more disturbed by the mistaken identity: me or Hummer drivers.

To each their own, but to me and my friends the Hummers are vulgar and we would be embarassed to be seen in one. Unless we were actually using it off-road where the functionality itself becomes a thing of beauty.

Hummer owners may well feel likewise about the E. Touche'. Truth is, they probably don't think about the E, at all.

For the city and 95% of normal usage, the Honda Element is the ultimate functional vehicle. Not to mention considerate of cramped urban environments where parking spaces are hard not easy to come by.

Must be excruciating to take those Hummer monsters and their more refined oversized SUV cousins to the gas station these days. Feel sorry for them there. That's not a pleasant trip for anyone these days.

I am going to look at the Toyota FJ when it comes out in hope that it will live up to the aspiration of being off-road capable as well as Elemental in functionality. Rugged looking, too.

#24 ·
I'm with Cappuccino, I would drive a Hummer if I saw the need to. Unfortunatly the timing is off and I have better things to spend my money on.
Maybe in about 5-10 years. I have three houses and enough toys for now, besides I would rather spoil my wife and daughter for now and take our 3-4 week vacations every year.

Until we meet again my sweet Hummer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.