Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

On the top of the dashboard of our recently purchased 2008 SC there is displayed the words "Passenger Airbag Off", or something close to that.

There is no light behind the words, they look dim. I wonder if a lightbulb would come on behind them if the airbag was actually off? The owner's manual doesn't say. The words look the same regardless of whether somebody is sitting in the passenger seat or not.

Anybody know how this is supposed to work?
Thanks,

- Jerry Kaidor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008 owner's manual pages 34-35.
*** Doesn't say if there's a light, or if it's a reflective LCD.
Schematic shows something that looks like a diode - I'm guessing LED. If so, it's OFF. But why doesn't it come ON when nobody's sitting in the passenger seat?

- Jerry

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
It'll come on if you have something like a gym bag or a car seat on the seat. I forget the weight range required to set it off. Basically it's there to protect small children in child safety seats from the airbag.

If nobody is sitting in the seat and you hit something head on, the driver's side as well as the passenger side airbag will deploy.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
This indicator alerts you that the passenger’s front airbag has been shut off because weight sensors detect about 65 lbs (29 kg) or less (the weight of an infant or small child) on the front passenger’s seat.

Be aware that objects placed on the front seat can cause the indicator to come on.

If no weight is detected in the front seat, the airbag will be automatically shut off. However, the indicator will not come on.
Not illuminated = normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Intermittent?

I just bought an 08 EX AWD. It is a reconstruct title and had air bags deploy in the accident. The repairs are flawless but the air bag light was going on an off during my first trip today. I did have some stuff in the seat. Mostly it was on but turned off occasionally? Any thoughts?

Oh and where can one get an owners manual?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I just bought an 08 EX AWD. It is a reconstruct title and had air bags deploy in the accident. The repairs are flawless but the air bag light was going on an off during my first trip today. I did have some stuff in the seat. Mostly it was on but turned off occasionally? Any thoughts?

Oh and where can one get an owners manual?
See my previous post about having stuff in the seat. It's normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts