Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2003 Honda Element have one? Hubby bought it used so we don't have a manual. We recently had a baby so when he has the kids my 7 yr old son has to sit in the front seat with the airbag and I'd feel a lot better if there was a way to turn it off.

Thanks ...

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Serenyd.

There is no off switch.

It's possible to prevent the side airbag from deploying (page 58 of the 2003 owner's manual tells how to avoid this, so you can infer how to do it intentionally), but AFAIK the front airbag—the one likely to kill or injure a child—can't be disabled. Your best bet is to push the passenger seat back as far as it goes, and make sure your child is wearing the seat belt/shoulder harness correctly.

Why can't both children sit in back?

2003 owner's manual:
Paper

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
no...not the early cars. the later cars (around '07 I think) have an obvious switch on the dash.

Just keep the kid buckled in good and slide the seat as far back as possible...he'll be fine.

That and....try not to run into anything. :twisted:

Here is a link for the manual.

FWIW...not alot has changed on the Elements over the years, the '03-06s are mostly the same except for cosmetic issues. '07 and up info might be confusing for an "early" owner.

Welcome!

Will

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
no...not the early cars. the later cars (around '07 I think) have an obvious switch on the dash.
It's not a switch. It's just an indicator light that tells you that you're got weight in your passenger seat, but not enough to engage the system.

Something like more than 26 lbs will engage the airbag.

I get the light to come on all the time when I put my gym bag in the front seat.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,823 Posts
It's not a switch. It's just an indicator light that tells you that you're got weight in your passenger seat, but not enough to engage the system.

Something like more than 26 lbs will engage the airbag.

I get the light to come on all the time when I put my gym bag in the front seat.
+1 on that..

Even something as lite as a back pack with a sandwich in it will turn on the silly light. It gets annoying when it flickers on/off over bumbs. Mine has been officially deleted with black electrical tape.

To the OP, nope sorry no way to turn off the passenger air bag. In 07 the passenger presence system will calculate weight on the seat and adjust the air bag deployment.

Best place for kids is in the back. Sorry but thats the safest place. My kids need to see and learn how to drive, and sitting up front is the best method. To hell with all that saftey crap... :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pass side airbag

I think (and this is only personal exp) that pressure on the sides will also de-activate the passenger airbags as well. This CMAS we got one of those heat/vibrate thingy's for the car that plugs into the cig lighter. Interestingly, this is just the one that is for the back (there is no part that you sit on). There was no issue as long as it was sitting there, but it kept falling forward when no one was in the seat, so we finally used the elastic strap that was attached and wrapped it around the seat to hold it vertical. As soon as we did that, the "Pass Side Airbag Off" light comes on whenever there is no one in the seat. As soon as we go somewhere together and there is someone sitting there, the light goes off. Get out, and it comes back on, and there is no pressure on the seat, only the elastic strap that goes around the seat back.

jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
"Pass Side Airbag Off"
That indication refers to the the air bag in the side of the passenger seat, not the main passenger airbag located in the dash.

Decisions adults make regarding their own safety is one thing.

Could a child intelligently choose to risk severe injury or death should an airbag designed to restrain a full-sized adult be deployed at high speed into his/her forehead?

Is the child's neck and chest ready to face that particular challenge?

Is the child's future being compromised by the decisions of older / wiser persons in the interest of convenience?

Probably just me, but I wouldn't let my dog ride in the front seat.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thanks.

I've seen it (the indicator) before, and thought there was a spot for the key to be inserted to switch it on/off....must be thinkin' of my Dodge pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. My husband rarely has all three kids so it is not an everyday issue but I'm still not really happy about the situation. In my '06 CRV the airbag passenger turns off automatically if needed. My son uses a booster seat in the Element with the seat pushed back as far as it will go, but there is a carseat behind. We also have a 3 mo old and a 2 yr old. Maybe we should have the airbag disabled?

Thanks for the link to manual, he will be so happy! He has been fussing about not having one since he bought the thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts