Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many people here, I got the storage armrest which is very nice. Now the original armrest would be useful to install on the passenger side since I got a 03. The following are some pictures illustrate the installation procedure;

This picture show that there is a special screw mount to secure either the original or the storage armrest on the driver side. But remember some find the original armrest sits a bit too low.

The passenger side doesn't come with the same screw mount. A new mount need to be made.

I made a wood mount but accidentally broke it apart. It was later secure together with white glue.

I drill two holes on the side of the passenger seat frame and use lock nuts to tighten them together.

I choose a spot where it now sit about an inch higher and a little bit toward the front. (Using the bigger hole above as the center hole reference point)

The back of the nuts securely tighten.

The last step is to cut a hole out of the foam and surface fabric to fit them nicely.

Here is the final look of the passenger armrest. Now it sits more than an inch higher than the 04 passenger armrest and even when the driver seat is adjust to my higher driving position, both armrest can be on the same level side by side.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice idea

This looks like an improvment that I woudl like to make to my E. I can't get the web addresses to come in. Do you have another source for this information?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found this mod while trolling thru the site and it was exactly what I wanted to do.

When I first bought my element, the first question my wife asked me was "where is my arm rest". After finding this thread, I decided to knock it out the day the storage arm rest arrived.

It took me two tries however. My first attempt using pine was a complete failure . The first time my wife put any weight on the armrest the pine wood broke (and she is a small woman) so I went to Home Depot (where else does one go for element mods?) and bought some red oak, used the broken pine piece as a template and using some self locking nuts and bolts, I went at it.

I'm happy with the results and I can say that the passenger armrest is VERY solid now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just finished installing a passenger armrest in my 2003. Looks much better (I think) with two rests, than just the one for the driver.

I fabricated a aluminum plate, to mount to the seat frame, then, mounted the pivot for the armrest to the plate.

I used small 12mm bolts to mount the pivot(and the plate), and cut small piece's of metal tubing that slipped over the bolts to act as spacers.

All in all, very sturdy. Wife is all happy to boot! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Armrest mount

Hey Crusty got any pics?? Would you be willing to make me one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Crusty got any pics?? Would you be willing to make me one.
It took me about a month to make this as I just don't have the time. I did get some pictures for you as a reference though!

Hope they help. When I made the mounting plate(closest to the seat frame, I had to make the spacers just big enough to allow the pivot bracket/post to clear the seat frame. As well, the springs from the seat back where they meet the frame c a n get in the way, so out of the four holes I had made on the mounting plate, I only used three, as the fouth hole was too close for my liking to the spring. Still with the three bolts its very secure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arm Rest Mods for 09 SC

Does anyone have any suggestions re how to add a drivers side armrest to an 09 SC? It comes with a center console with what appears to be an arm rest over a storage compartment. However, I find it about 4 inches too low and about 6 inches too far back to be of any comfort for me. Even with the seat fully lowered it is still too low. I would like to add something that looks a little better than a taping a roll of paper towels to the top of the console to get some driving comfort on a long trip. Can the seat frame accomodate a conventional arm rest?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Myself here ALSO.....:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
-No not the original Car own, got it in 07'
-The seat back lever is on the outboard side
-The Airbag tags on the seat are on the outboard side which there is also an airbag there

-pics of the white box: (dont think its an airbag, but i've no idea what it is)

·
12,178 Posts
-No not the original Car own, got it in 07'
-The seat back lever is on the outboard side
-The Airbag tags on the seat are on the outboard side which there is also an airbag there

-pics of the white box: (dont think its an airbag, but i've no idea what it is)

As they say.....A picture is worth a thousand words.

That is the OPDS unit.(Occupant Position Detection System)

On a Honda only vehicles with side airbags have it. It is part of the system that disables the passenger side airbag.

I missed in your profile that you have an EXS model.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Part numbers for the passenger's seat back and OPDS changed from 2003 to 2004, but I can't tell how different they are, since the parts diagram (SCV4-B4001B) seems not to have changed.

Frame, R. Fr. seat-back, 81126-SCV-A71
OPDS unit (#18 in diagram), 81334-SCV-A72

Frame, R. Fr. seat-back, 81126-SCV-A72
OPDS Unit (#18 in diagram), 81334-SCV-A81

Either way, it looks like you should be able to mount an arm rest. What's behind the foam, above the OPDS?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts