Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm planning on doing this mod. I have the switch, but am planning on modding and using the original handle assembly. I contacted Yoshi, as mentioned, but he said the door switch only would be around $90 US/shipped. In my opinion, that's a little more than I want to pay. My question, for anyone out there: Is there a way to simply hook the switch to the mechanism that opens the passenger side only? The way the Canadian models may be wired? I would rather the driver side control all of them, with the passenger side controlling only their door. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
> Is there a way to simply hook the switch to the mechanism that opens
> the passenger side only? ... I would rather the driver side control
> all of them, with the passenger side controlling only their door.

That's exactly what I did, though I wouldn't say it was simple. http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/passenger_door_lock.htm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone want a grey handle?

I ordered a JDM right door handle from Yoshi. Came to around $80. Everything was pretty smooth, but I screwed up and ordered the wrong color... D'oh!

Is anyone here interested in a grey door handle, or will anybody else be ordering from Yoshi any time soon that would be willing to trade for a graphite/black one?

***EDIT***
After reviewing this thread again, it appears that the black JDM handle might not be available... I guess the alternative would be to get a grey US driver's door handle and 2 grey switches. The handles would contrast the door panel, but they's match.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
563 Posts
PhatB, try this:

So, in my excitement and haste to do this mod, I overlooked the "JDM" aspect of the PDL handle as posted at the beginning of the post. I attempted to order the parts from the LHD (Local Honda Dealer) and in the process learned what the "JDM" means. Nonetheless, I ordered an OEM driver's side handle to see what I could do with it while I try to find this elusive JDM PDL - it was $10 - no big deal. I rationalized it as a "tinker fee."

I ran and connected the wires - the switch worked perfectly. After re-considering the using the dremel-caulk method on my OEM PDL handle for a few minutes, I decided to take a serious run at making the driver's side handle that I purchased work.

30 minutes and a few minor modifications later, I got it installed and working perfectly.

I basically had to d 3 things to the driver's side handle:

1. I had to remove the pin and swap the handle arm with the original OEM passenger handle arm. Removing the pin required cutting the bottom "spread" off it with a dremel to allow it to be pulled out from the top.

2. I then had to cut a little notch out of the back of the plate to allow for a little more travel of the handle arm.

3. Then I dremeled out the bottom of the switch opening a little to allow the switch to mate properly with the two screw holes on the plate - and done!

EDIT: oops - forgot a step...
4. The two screw holes on the handle don't match the anchors in the door - I simply drilled a new hole in the middle of the DDL handle and into the sheet metal. One self-tapping flat head metal screw secures it fine.

The handle works perfectly and you would be hard pressed to figure that it is a creative mod.

I'd still like to acquire one of the JDM PDL's - if anyone has any info, it'd be much appreciated. But, until then, my mod mod is rockin' just fine!
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=808239&postcount=139

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's "Plan C", but definitely still on the radar. I'm not yet sure I'm patient or precise enough with the cutting to do a job I'd be satisfied with. As that continues to weigh against my annoyance at no PDL, though, I might eventually decide that I'm precise enough after all. :|

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
PDL using dirvers side assembly

Hi, new to this forum, and have been adding a few things to my E. I love the internet, boy does it ever speed up research and the wealth of info is fantastic....everything at your finger tips. Thanks for this site.

Anyway, a few weeks back I completed this mod on my 2011 E and have a few things to add for those wishing to do this pdl mod using the drivers door assembly, at least for the 2011 EX model.

I got the oem drivers side handle assembly and after following the original instructions on this thread for replacing the handles, I trimed off the plastic rise off the back of the oem assembly to fit the door lock switch, and while the screw holes do line up, the switch doesn't center in the oval hole and the switch binds. You have to shave off or dremel about a 1/8 inch of the bottom part of oval hole in the handle assembly in order for the switch to rock back and forth. The switch will also be at a slight angle, but after shaving the screw holes a bit, it will line up better.

Finally, after putting in the new handle assembly, the door would not open as the handle needed more pull back, so additional shaving of the actual handle is needed (I had already dremeled the handle assembly as far as it could go, but that was not enough, so I had to shave off about 1/4").

Anyway, the mod worked using the oem driver door assembly, it just takes a little bit more tweeking (and time) at least on my 2011. Also, not sure what others used to keep the pin in place, but I used construction glue to hold the pin in place, as it will not be long enough to put another 'head' on it (since you have to cut off the head to take out the pin).

It doesn't look too bad, you can see the difference if you are actually looking for it (the switch hole is larger at the top due to the switch not lining up in the center, and the need to remove plastic from the bottom to allow for the switch to work) but for $33 bucks at HandA for everything including shipping(oem drivers assembly, switch, oem wires & harness clip) was a tad bit cheaper than the $60+ just for the passenger assembly from yoshi.

My wife is happy to unlock the doors on her side.

Jer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'n new to this forum. I would like to attempt this mod as well. I really don't know why Honda wouldn't include a power door lock on the passenger side esp. on a top of the line 4WD EX model. Can you post the parts needed (part numbers) and pictures of the mods? Any would help. Thank you :)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Wht4wd.

> Can you post the parts needed (part numbers) and pictures of the mods?
There are part numbers in post #1 and subsequent posts, particularly #79. Unfortunately the photos from the first few posts are gone, but there are images in many subsequent posts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was interested in this mod, but after contacting Yosi, the final price would be $83 dollars. Seems alittle steep for a switch mod.. I may have to bite the bullet and get it though...

Anyone selling their E with this mod and want to sell the handle??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered a JDM right door handle from Yoshi. Came to around $80. Everything was pretty smooth, but I screwed up and ordered the wrong color... D'oh!

Is anyone here interested in a grey door handle, or will anybody else be ordering from Yoshi any time soon that would be willing to trade for a graphite/black one?

***EDIT***
After reviewing this thread again, it appears that the black JDM handle might not be available... I guess the alternative would be to get a grey US driver's door handle and 2 grey switches. The handles would contrast the door panel, but they's match.

Thoughts?
I may be willing to purchase the grey handle if you still have it..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I was interested in this mod, but after contacting Yosi, the final price would be $83 dollars. Seems alittle steep for a switch mod.. I may have to bite the bullet and get it though...

Anyone selling their E with this mod and want to sell the handle??
$83 for just the handle sounds a little high. The screws, screw cover, switch, switch screws, wiring, connectors can all be purchased domestically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$83 for just the handle sounds a little high. The screws, screw cover, switch, switch screws, wiring, connectors can all be purchased domestically.
Considering when the mod first started, the price was half.. I understand it comes from over seas, but seems drastic!

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is a mod well worth doing though especially for your passenegrs !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Going to Japan in a couple of months. Anybody still need one of those trim pieces to do this?
Am I too late? I took mine off, lost it, and never got around to ordering the new one. :( If I can't find a lock one, I wouldn't mind having a regular one if anybody still has their extras.

Black for both. May even need 2 of the locking one's. Met another e-owner that was interested. Let me know.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Went there, came back empty handed. I saw ONE Element the entire two weeks I was over there. And that's walking around Kyoto, Osaka and other places like that. The one I saw actually passed us on the highway. Elements seems to have died out in Japan, and dealers give you a deer in headlights look when you ask for parts.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Am I too late? I took mine off, lost it, and never got around to ordering the new one. :(
I bought one from Yosi as an xmas present. It is IN HAND now. $70 total. It MAY have been the last [black] one in stock (ever?). If you want one, I'd hit him up quick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This thread lives on...

Yosi was able to hunt down a graphite JDM driver (aka US passenger) door handle for me. Shipped it out to me today and it should be here by the 10th. Yes it is still pricey because of shipping but it will look OEM when I'm done.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is the first I've seen of this PDL. I'd gladly pay $70 or even $80 for this mod as I'm tired of passengers gripping about not being able to unlock the door. Is it possible to get another group buy or general purchase info posted?

101 - 120 of 130 Posts