Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time lurker but don't post unless I think I have something important to say or ask!

My ex-boyfriend broke my front passenger seat base cover (the one by the door not by the center) by trying to remove it forcefully. I ordered and received a new one from HandA. However, I can't figure out how to get the old one off.

I searched the forums and found a reference to a TSB. I printed out Service Bulletin 07-066, and my VIN is covered by this TSB. I don't know, though, if it was loose before he tried to yank it off or not, and I already have the replacement part.

I'm taking my car in next week for the soft brake pedal recall. I guess I can do one of two things - play dumb and ask them to fix it per the TSB (and then I have a spare part), or just install my replacement myself.

I'm leaning toward option two. Would anyone have access to page 20-108 of the 2007-2008 Element Service Manual that gives the removal instructions? The recline lever seems to be the part that is puzzling me - I don't know how to get the old cover off and the new one on with it in the way...

As usual, this forum is awesome and I've learned so much about my car!

Thanks to anyone that can help me....

Patty

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Take the part with you and tell them your ex broke it and ordered the part before he was your ex and now you have the part and nobody to install it. I'm sure they will help.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Haven't worked on a 2007-up seat so can't be sure, but on the 2003-06 EX seat, you have to slide the plastic cover off the tilt lever (takes some force) and remove the height-adjustment knob from its shaft before you can remove the garnish.

Detail below is for the 2003-06 seat, so I can't swear it's correct for you:

The service manual has explicit instructions for all this, though its terminology is a bit weird: The recline "knob" refers to the plastic lever cover, which I'd call a handle; the height "handle" is in fact a knob; and the slide "lever" is a bar.

Service manual:
H&A (site sponsor)
Helm Inc.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Bumpity-bump, since the weekend is over and everyone is back reading the forum!
Here is what it says:

Remove the recline cover (A).

-1 Remove the recline knob (B).
-2 Driver's seat: Pull back the cap (C) to release
the hooks (D), and remove the snap ring (E),
then remove the height handle (F).
-3 Gently pull out the cover to detach the clip, and
release the hooks (G).

To me in the pics it looks like you just slide the handle forward, toward
the dash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

The 2007 passenger seat doesn't have a height adjustment knob, just the lever. I had not yet tried to use more force to slide the cover of the tilt lever off since force is what broke the panel to begin with.

I can't see AztecRol's pic because work blocked the website address, so I'll take a look when I get home tonight. If I can't figure it out, I'll try Rick's suggestion.

Again, thanks much!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to try Rick92040's suggestion. The dealer just called. $55 to put the new cover on. The seat has to be removed. :x I would have known that if I had read AztecRol's pages from the manual a bit more carefully:
Step 1: Remove the front seat.

Crap. Oh well, I want it fixed so I guess I'll bite the bullet. I'm not about to do this myself. As a girl, I'm good with most repairs but I draw the line at removing something that may be too heavy for me to pick up and re-install properly.:|

On another note, I'll post the results of the soft brake pedal recall after I pick her up this afternoon!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Those instructions are for removing the seat cushion cover. For that, you do have to remove the seat. To remove only the side garnish, I don't think so.

Better artwork, from the seat-rock TSB, below. (Naturally for the passenger's side, you can ignore the seat height adjustment knob.) The salient steps from that document, after deleting references to the knob, are:

• Pull off the recline handle.
• Remove the recline cover (three clips and two hooks)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts