Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i wanna take of this piece marked "this" it has four screws attached to it but i am a little uneasy to take it off since it is attached to the passenger air bag...does any one know the deal with this piece...thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need to know how the darn thing comes out too! (I need to replace the airbag) That panel actually seems to be connected to the airbag somehow- I was fighting with it yesterday and have not yet figured how it comes out. If I am successful today, I will post and let you know.

·
12,179 Posts
The deal is that if you don't have a service manual or understand the risks of working with air bag components i wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The deal is that if you don't have a service manual or understand the risks of working with air bag components i wouldn't touch it.
Ha ha. Thanks for the concern; what I actually need is information. I don't have time to write a book on my experience and I don't have a $300.00 Honda service manual handy. My guess is there is another experienced Honda tech here who won't mind sharing the information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Element in that it was missing the passenger airbag..obviously stolen before I acquired through an auction. My son and I opened up the panel to check on the problem.

I did have to deal with this type problem with a Ford Ranger. In order to fix the cruise control buttons we had to remove the cover for the airbag on the steering wheel. Be sure to disconnect the battery and let the system discharge for at least 2 hours before removing the harness.

This is based solely on my findings and may NOT be the correct procedure:

Left picture: Remove screws ((white arrows) below and then peel lower edge away until you can pull the spring clips away. to remove the front pan

Middle picture: The 4 screws (white arrows) are removed and then the 4 screws below (blue arrows) are removed. Remove glove box stops and fold it down to floor (you can also access the cabin air filter box to change them.
Peel/pull the lower panel (top of the tray) down to reveal 3 10mm bolts behind the duct.

Right picture: These 3 bolts (red arrows) anchor the bag module to the steel dash support. You should also see the yellow connector (to the left)to the control module, which must be unplugged.

The top dash panel is pushed away and then up to free the bolt studs.The harness connects to both ends of the airbag unit which can be pulled off the ends.

streakr

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Streaker- that's exactly what I needed to know! (where are the (three) other bolts that I know are in there somewhere but I can't see them*&$)
This'll get me out of that dash and on to the next thing quite quickly. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those three bolts are behind the black duct below the red lines in the right picture. Tha's why you need to access it from below through the glove box.

If you don't need the connector harness I will buy from you; that's the part I need.

s

·
Registered
23 Posts
I assume you want the harness that appears to be permanently attached to the airbag with the plastic connector at the end of it where it plugs into the loom below?
I'm assuming the replacement airbag I'm getting at the salvage yard will have the wire and connector attached- unless they were sloppy! If my replacement bag has the harness and connector attached I'd be happy to send you the old one... let me know for sure that's what you need!

·
Registered
23 Posts
BTW, I did understand the location of those three bolts from your first post; what I wrote in parenthesis was just a reiteration of my cursing prior to posting for info- and thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Phoen-EX

That connector harness (with the yellow plug) is exactly what I need. I'll gladly pay the shipping.

I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
streakr

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've heard the easiest way to remove the panel above the airbag is to hit a tree at 50+ mph. Should come right off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im not going to mess with it at all..i am however doing a custom dash that should be finished this weekend...ill post pics

·
Registered
23 Posts
SOP is what you do with a mess: Sop it up... either that or it's what Batman did to the Penguin- "SOP!" "BAM!" POW!" I could be mistaken but I think I recall seeing an interview where Tom Brokaw was interviewing Eartha Kitt, and that's what she said. Maybe she lied. Who knows.:roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
A student once called me an SOP...stupid old putz. I took real offense at being called OLD!!!! However I was able to suitably embarrass him in class...Zing! and then explained that, technically, 30 to 40 IS middle age.

streakr..a little past middle age

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry Streakr- been maxed out on time for the last few days- couple more brush fires to stomp out and I'll get you a pic of bag ends of the harness tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts