Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my dog managed to roll his window down, I decided it would be smart to use the lock-out button. I hit that button, tried to roll his window back up.... I was locked out too!!

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a wiring problem with my element?

I have a tough time believing Honda did this on purpose. It's like having those child-safety locks on back doors completely disable the doors.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am going to bet that this is an occurence of a usual problem in software design. That is that the designer considers only the basic flow - that which normally occurs, but failed to consider the exceptional flow - that which doesn't normally occur.

No excuse for the designer, but a huge problem in software design.

Iskie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting analogy Isketeral. Interesting and enigmatic.

So can anyone out there actually tell me if their Element does this too? I still have to think this is a wiring problem with my car.
I've never owned a Honda before, so maybe their engineers take the lock-out button to the extreme....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your vehicle is working correctly. You have no wiring problem. Quoting from your owners manual:

"The MAIN switch controls power to the passenger's window. When you push in the MAIN switch, the passenger's window cannot be raised or lowered."

No caveats are mentioned, and all of the Elements perform the same way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ah, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

Iskie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you doing in my owners manual?!?!

I guess I really should be reading that thing....

I think the german cars I've owned in the past have all had lock-outs that let the driver still operate the windows, oh well.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts