Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger's side rear door is jammed on my 2004 EX. I can open the passenger's side front door, but the handle (inside and out) to open the rear "suicide" door's won't open fully and the thing won't open.

Does anyone know how I can deal with this on my own or do I need to take it in?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Dan, have you tried removing the handle or pulling off the door panel to see what the problem is? will it not open with either handle?? Pat

·
Registered
599 Posts
There have been a number of cases of the latching rods coming off one or both of the handles or the door latch itself. Remove the handles and check the rods are still attached first since that's pretty easy. If they are attached at the handles you'll need to remove the interior panels to get at the connecting points for the top and bottom latches. I'm at work so I don't have the diagrams in front of me; it might not be easy to remove the panels with the door closed so you might be stuck taking it to a dealer.

You can also search the forums as this has been discussed before in threads that might contain pictures for better illustration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I've taken off the "outside" handle (the one that you would use to open the door from the outside) and everything looks great. I'll see about removing the interior door panel. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been searching the files for help with this problem and this thread seems to be as close as I can get, so I'm digging it up to see if you had a happy ending. My '04 has a jammed lock on the passenger suicide door and it won't open. It seems to be only the bottom latch. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Two years ago I had it fixed during a summer trip. It did it again this summer and my local mechanic can't figure it out. Although I'm not skilled mechanically, I'd rather do-it-myself than spend the big $ at the Honda dealer. Thanks for any help. Kluffer

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, that just might be the bottom line...that I'm putting off as long as I can. Fingers are crossed, etc. Thanks, Kluffer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts