Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been mentioned in a couple of threads, but when I was looking for this info, I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd enter it as a separate post.

Anway, when you need to get through the firewall, it seems the way to go is around it. The path is basically out of the engine compartment following the trunk release cable, then over the front wheel well, then into the passenger compartment from the (driver) side of the car.

The way in is under the dash, on the left side, pretty much straight to the left of the pedals. There's a depression that's hard to see, 'cause you can't get your head down there, but if you stick your hand in there, you'll feel foam padding. This isn't a great pic. Its that square area right in the middle behind the white wire thingy.

There's a big rubber plug in there that you can push out from the inside. Don't worry, you'll be able to get it back when you open the wheel well from the outside.

I only had to remove a couple of clips in the wheel well to get my hand in there. For me, the plug was laying right there.

From here, if you stick your hand in and up about forearm deep, you'll feel the hole at about 2 o'clock. I cut a hole in the plug, then reinserted it.

Now you just grab your wire that you've fed along the trunk release, and poke it through your newly created grommet.

By the way, there's another much smaller plug into the interior also. Its even deeper under the dash, maybe a foot or so back and a few inches higher than the above mentioned depression. From what I remember, on the outside its about 10 or 11 o'clock from the edge of the wheel well. I only bring this up so that if you come across it, you won't think its the other one.

Hope this proves useful to someone.

eKennedy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey eKennedy, thanks for the discovering the Route Into the Interior of the E. I routed my power cable for the ham radio from the battery around that way, but missed the hole and had to go under the rubber stuff that goes around the door. This causes the door to slightly pinch the cable. Now tht I know this, I shall inspect more thoroughly the "mysterious hidden route" into the Interior!

Ger

·
Registered
894 Posts
How did you remove the clips that hold the fender in? I tried the same trick as the fromt radiator cover to no avail. I really want to route my PNI WayFinder v6000 outside thermometer this way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, eKennedy! I knew that this was the area to get through but hadn't put out the effort to find it. Now that I know I will make good use of it. Thanks again for your post.

Sticky it on top Moderator :idea:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey IskiE,
The clips must have come off pretty similar to the radiator cover clips, because I didn't even realize they were different until I was going to put them back in.

I did have a bit of trouble getting some of them re-inserted. Had to pull or push on the plastic of the wheel well to get the holes lined up before they'd sit correctly.

eKennedy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts