Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done a DIY on changing the PCV valve, fuel filter, or transmission filter? I've done a couple of searches and cannot find anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
PCV / Breathing Valve Maintenance

Well, I've scoured the web and owners manuals and can't seem to find the recommended replacement cycle. Does anyone know if this is done in tandem with the air filter, or at another interval.

TIA.

·
12,179 Posts
andyman1970 said:
Well, I've scoured the web and owners manuals and can't seem to find the recommended replacement cycle. Does anyone know if this is done in tandem with the air filter, or at another interval.

TIA.

I double checked the service manual and there isn't a specified interval for pcv valve replacement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not even looked for mine on the E yet, But in the days of my old school when we changed our air filter we would pull it out and shake it to see if it was still loose, then we would take carb cleaner and clean it out and blow it out. once clean and dry we would test it by blowing thru it one way and then the other. It should only let are go one way, If it lets it go both ways then it is time to replace it,,, This is on the old school detroit monsters, But I would have to think it is about the same. Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
PCV Valve- where is it

hi there,

i have been trying for awhile to find my pcv valve. I want to check it and possibly replace it, at 206,000km right now.

any help would be appreciated,

·
Registered
848 Posts
hi there,

i have been trying for awhile to find my pcv valve. I want to check it and possibly replace it, at 206,000km right now.

any help would be appreciated,
The PCV valve bolts into the water passage, the large housing
that your water pump bolts to. You will be able to ID it by the PCV
hose that goes to the EGR plate near the injectors. (long hose)

·
Registered
10 Posts
PCV valve on 2004 Element

Hi all, just wondering if anybody knows where the pcv valve is located on this engine? They sell the part for it, so I assume there is one.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just looked this up the other day and that diagram dosent look framiliar. Why do you want to know? Is there a problem with yours? All modern engines have a pcv valve. If it dident you would have a screw in dipstick and the engine would leak oil like crazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just looked this up the other day and that diagram dosent look framiliar. Why do you want to know? Is there a problem with yours? All modern engines have a pcv valve. If it dident you would have a screw in dipstick and the engine would leak oil like crazy.
I don't have a problem with it, but after 100k. I think it needs changing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hm, I would have expected to see it on the valve cover, not the water pump housing. So that hole goes straight through to the crankcase?
Yes it appears that way. The large water passage part probably doubles as an oil-separator that used to a separate can on the back of older Hondas. You can see the large #10 o-ring that installs between the backside and the block. That large passage probably serves as an oil drainback...

BTW: I too was surprised to see an EGR block-off. I would think these ULEV cars would all have an EGR (reduces cylinder volume and NOx emissions at lean-burning cruise)...

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Not so long ago I changed a 1987 DX Accord's carburetor,(yes that late a few still had carbs), and the coolant was actually sent though some passages from the intake manifold <through> the carburetor and back out! I suspect it was intended to keep the carb from icing when it's humid and hovering around freezing. That was a new design for me!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not so long ago I changed a 1987 DX Accord's carburetor,(yes that late a few still had carbs), and the coolant was actually sent though some passages from the intake manifold <through> the carburetor and back out! I suspect it was intended to keep the carb from icing when it's humid and hovering around freezing. That was a new design for me!
Yes that's true. In fact all the fuel-injected Hondas still have a coolant port that runs straight from their thermostat housing to the throttle body for just that purpose.

On the EGR, I imagine it serves to cool the hot exaust gases & stave off detonation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How often does this valve need to be replaced? Is it easy to replace?

·
Registered
8 Posts
PCV Change '03 Element

I am a newbie to this forum! Just got a '03 element. Time for a tune up. Did everything but the PCV. Can anyone give me some hints or a photo indicating where to find the PCV. Any help is appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts