Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some input on PDAs. My wife wants a "current PDA" by that I mean a PDA that has features like wi-fi and bluetooth. However in my research it looks like most models are severly outdated, which makes sense since most manufacturers are simply adding these features to their comparable smartphones. [NOTE: She does not want or need a smartphone, we just need it for organization, notes, and the periodic email check]

I even checked Palm and the 3 PDAs they sell were al released in 2005 :twisted: Yet they are selling for the same price

Does anyone recommend a more current PDA...brand/manufacturer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I don't know if size is an issue or not. But you get more for your money with something like this: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Acer-Aspire-One.htm

The up side is all the applications will run on your home PC as well. Making changes to your data is easy. Then just turn on the synchronize feature to have them look the same.
The by product is all the data is backed up.

Dom

·
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, a bit large but interesting.

Keep them coming

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Do a hands on with an iPhone before you buy a PDA, all the basic documents are pc compatible. In no way am I an apple fanatic, although I do own an older G4 and we have several at work for graphics.

Apple definitely has the most user friendly/intuitive interface. We do get a corporate discount from AT&T, it was an additional $20 per month for unlimited service. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, i should have prefaced that we do not want a smartphone, or new provider, etc. we purely want a more dated/current model PDA

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Though it is about 1.5 years old, my wife has a Palm T/X. It has WiFi (which was the big selling point) and Bluetooth. I know it can do a lot more than what she uses it for (she's not very techie). The web browser is ok, of course "mobile" websites work fine on it. She doesn't use the mail program but can check web mail with it. She an also read PDF's and other Office documents with it as well as the standard calendar and contacts. She's never used it for playing music or watching movies. She's not much of a cell phone user and has a pay-as-you-go plan, so the T/X was a better option than a smart phone.

If it were me, today, I'd probably get an iPod Touch for the better web browser and multi-media capabilities. Except I don't know if you can really use that for document management.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
PDAs are outdated, or, at very best, a low-end niche market. I did PDA software development for a living for a while, saw the end coming and bailed. I have thousand$ invested in now-obsolete hardware and support software gathering dust that I just can't bring myself to throw in the dumpster.

PDAs were clobbered on the low end by phones with basic address list and calendar functions, and killed on the high end by cheaper full laptops. And that's before you get into iPhones, Blackberrys and the new flood of high-function touchscreen equivalents.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My wife also wanted PDA but not a phone. Because she runs so many Mac apps (school teacher) she opted for the iTouch. She has been really happy with it.

I am just dying to get one of the mini pcs but don't need a new computer right now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You might think about just using an iPod Touch. It has wifi, big screen, very portable, easy to use and can hold calendar, contacts and do email. I don't know about syncing the info onto your PC but MobileMe might work with the touch.

I used one as a PMP for a few weeks while waiting for my Archos 705 to be repaired and it was really handy as a pseudo-PDA. Might fill your needs.

#EDIT# the ZOMBIE beat me to the iTouch suggestion. Who knew zombies could type so fast?

·
Registered
539 Posts
PDAs as a stand-alone device do seem to becoming outdated (in my opinion, anyway). It comes down to needs and convenience though. For awhile, I was carrying a phone, a Palm Tungsten T2, and an iPod. Then I got a Palm Treo which combined two devices and maintained the functions I had before, and I still have my iPod. Now I'm very seriously considering moving to the Blackberry Bold because it can do everything my Treo can do, it would add data and browsing for me on the AT&T network and at every AT&T wifi spot out there, and with the media sync software, I can also put my iTunes stuff (music and videos) on it. So I'll have gone from three devices to basically one over the last few years. For me, device reduction is a convenience and I like it.

So it seems to me that the momentum out there is going towards the smart phones. There are still PDAs out there, but with subsidies at the phone makers, sometimes the smart phones are the same price, but they do even more. I know you don't want a smart phone and I'm not trying to sell you on one; I'm just making the point that a good, updated stand-alone PDA might be hard to find. The iPod Touch may actually be a good move if it has the features you're looking for, but even then you're looking at an integrated device of sorts. Crazy, huh?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I tried really hard to convince my wife she would be happy with the iPhone. She still carries her Verizon phone plus the iTouch. I really don't understand her thinking on this but that really is not unusual.
I personally would just carry one device.
I have no choice as our IS department picks what we carry. I have the Sprint Mogul and its decent.

I would be afraid to buy a PDA at this point. Support and updates could evaporate pretty quick. Long ago I was hauling around a Palm and support for that went poof overnight.

·
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking at that for her too...especially with the Palm sale through this weekend. But since its 3 years old I did not like that its only 802.11b and only Bluetooth 1.1.

I think I have found a good one in this: Asus MyPal A626. Only 1.5 years old and supports 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0.

Of course then it comes down to running Windows Mobile. I think its fine, but from my experience with Palm, the Palm OS is pretty simplified...which is what she wants.

AHHHHH, the choices (or lack there of). its just hard for me to buy a "new" item that is 3 years old.

Though it is about 1.5 years old, my wife has a Palm T/X. It has WiFi (which was the big selling point) and Bluetooth. I know it can do a lot more than what she uses it for (she's not very techie). The web browser is ok, of course "mobile" websites work fine on it. She doesn't use the mail program but can check web mail with it. She an also read PDF's and other Office documents with it as well as the standard calendar and contacts. She's never used it for playing music or watching movies. She's not much of a cell phone user and has a pay-as-you-go plan, so the T/X was a better option than a smart phone.

If it were me, today, I'd probably get an iPod Touch for the better web browser and multi-media capabilities. Except I don't know if you can really use that for document management.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Was looking for some input on PDAs. My wife wants a "current PDA" by that I mean a PDA that has features like wi-fi and bluetooth.
I second the iPod Touch, although once you've got it you'll really just wish you sprung for the phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts