Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used one of these?

I've been considering trying this out on my next camping trip, but don't want to leave myself hanging if this set-up isn't that good. It seems like the most inexpensive way to build a super light stove yet, but I feel there must be a catch.

For the past couple years, I've been using a small Sunbeam patio gas grill the my grandpa gave me. Brand new out of the box when I got it, but he purchased it in the early 80's. It's a self-contained rectangle w/ rocks & all the good stuff from larger grills, but it's still much larger than really I'd like. It cooks food great, but takes a bit to boil water. I'm trying to get all of my camping supplies into a 5-gal bucket w/ a lid - that's for car camping with plenty of luxuries included, I'll tackle a backpacking set-up at a later date.

link to DIY instructions: http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
allot of people insist that the Heineken keg cans make the best penny stoves and that the larger Heineken mini kegs can be dissected to make various pieces of cookware. Usability would really depend on how you cook when you are car camping. While they are great for backpacking and boiling water for dehydrated meals, I usually leave mine out of car camping because of the lack of flame control and because I am not pressed for space with the E.

If you want to check out some wild DIY stoves that turned into a business.... hit the link

1 - 4 of 4 Posts