Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for my Element (Orange 4WD EX) to be completed, so another question for the group.

Just how well does the Element (preferrably the 4WD, since it weighs more) handle going up hills at highway speeds with a 2-3 adults and/or moderate cargo of a few hundred pounds? Can it typically maintain 65-70 for an extended period? I don't care about fast acceleration or going 90...just maintaining legal and useful speeds!

Anyone take one on the Grapevine in CA yet?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just talk my black Y (EX) on a road trip and hills were not a problem. Granted, the road where bad so my speed was down. Any, I traded a v8 dodge for the element based on my experiences with the CRV. My girlfriend's CRV is a 99 with a 147 hp. On a road trip through Arizona and Utah it took the hills great. 75 up hill passing no problem. When I test drove the element I took it up a very steep hill near the dealership. This hill always has a speed trap at the top. They get people exelrating to get up the hill. I took it up to 80 kph and held it their. As the hill got steeper, the element held the speed. My past experience with 4 bangers is that you have to floor it just to hold your speed. The element was great.

As I mentioned, I was driving a 230 hp v8 and I don't miss the power.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, taking 2 people up in the NH hills, no problem at all. Keeping up highway speeds was not a problem at all. 70+ worked fine as well. In spots the speed limit is 70.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just took my through one of the winding mountain roads here in No-Cal. Didn't have a bit of problem holding speed or taking the hills. In fact, I could get some good acceleration on some of the steeper inclines without downshifting to 4th. This little sucker has got some get up and go.

·
Registered
338 Posts
[quote:290517a03d="RML"]Well, taking 2 people up in the NH hills, no problem at all. Keeping up highway speeds was not a problem at all. 70+ worked fine as well. In spots the speed limit is 70.[/quote:290517a03d]

No problem, unless a Moose decides to wander out from behind that bush :shock:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was doing 140 kmh on my motorbike once in the passing lane - being a smartass. I saw the police car, started gearing down hard. I was clocked at 128, given 125 and a lecture about how if a moose stepped out on the road I would have been killed. The thing was, theis bike was loud at that speed - it deafened me just sitting on it. Let alone hitting a moose is "unsafe at any speed". :lol:

Iskie

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the grapevine yesterday doing 80, no problem. this was in 3rd gear, the engine was doing 5000 rpms and the temp gauge never even budged. I'm amazed at how wide a range that little engine and trans can handle.

Cletus

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everyday I go up and over a big hill (around here it's called "the mountain") on my way to and from work. I am very pleased to report I have had NO PROBLEMS at all with the E. In fact, I'm usually leaving other people behind (that might be more my driving than the engine). I had a 6 cyl Jeep Wrangler Sport before this, and the E's uphill performance matches it so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:) Took the wife, both kids, and three dogs (one real dog and two rats :oops: ). Through Turnagain Pass (Kenai Peninsula), Element did it with little effort. I am impressed. I used to do that trip in a 2.8 6cyl. S10 Blazer (no passengers) and it was floored with a top speed of 40 mph :cry: through about 20% of the Pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts