Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car and Driver published a list of the 10 cars moving fastest off the dealer's lots or showroom floors:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=6676

Good News: The #1 moving hot selling car - the $103,000 (That's One Hundred And Three Thousand U S Dollars!) Mercedes SL Class.

[Note: This Humble Moderator looked at the price tag for that car and noted that it was the same as she paid for the first HOUSE she bought. I confess also to saying aloud something like "[email protected]#$ Me!" ]

But alas, there's our Honda Element. I guess this substantiates the rumours of dealers dealing hard - and even above MSRP.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Amazing that Honda (including Acura) has five of the top ten and all five are considered by Honda to be 'trucks' (I still get the Odyssey fitting in there, but marketing always has fluid definitions for things...).

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hmmm, no BMW, no H2...

I thought for sure the Nissan Murano would be up there. They are so darn popular right now, about the same as the E here.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:f64ed3b17a="Hawaiian E"]Hmmm, no BMW, no H2...

I thought for sure the Nissan Murano would be up there. They are so darn popular right now, about the same as the E here.[/quote:f64ed3b17a]

I saw someone with a H2 today and she had half of South Africa mined and hanging from her wrist, neck and fingers. I'm like "How insecure are you?"

The Nissan Murano is *sweet*. 270 hp and really good looks. Costs the earth though. Seen their orange colour? It's really a 1970's burnt orange shag carpet sort of orange. It's not nearly as nice as the Element's Sunset Orange Pearl! We rule. They drool! :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got my second Element. Used the Consumer Report 'report' (a waste of money frankly).

Went in strong and they allowed me to walk out!

Traded a 98 explorer which they allowed 7500 on and the list on the Element was 22973 with rack, deflector and boards.

Finally dickered to 14500 difference....

They didn't seem to be in a big hurry to bargin here in Colorado.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote:f50ca438db="bush555"]In early April, Elements at a local dealer were carrying adjustments of $2,000-to-$5,000. Lately, the mark-up is zero-to-$1,500.

Would this reflect a shift in area demand, or is the dealer reposturing to a savvier / more competitive marketplace?[/quote:f50ca438db]

$2k - $5k markup??!?!??!?!?!

:::falls down and dies::::

It has to be a savvier marketplace. I often imagine that Element owners fall into the portion of the population I call Net-savvy. They've got to have hopped on the Net and seen that people are paying much smarter prices. The power with information is the superior power in negotiation. (I get As for saying things like that in my masters library/info science program. Go me!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to 5 dealers here in the atlanta area, and found nobody would give me invoice. The best I found was 900 over with no options. I ended up going to Anniston, Alabama, about 100 miles away got a 4wd Orange Pearl for 20, 580, about 400 over invoice!, doc fee was on 99.00 and I paid no sales tax since I dont live in AL. Now I ride by the dealers here and laugh in their faces! I recently got an alarm with keyless entry installed for 225.00! less than half of what the dealer wanted! So Im pretty happy!

·
Registered
448 Posts
bigcitydjs said:
I went to 5 dealers here in the atlanta area, and found nobody would give me invoice. The best I found was 900 over with no options. I ended up going to Anniston, Alabama, about 100 miles away got a 4wd Orange Pearl for 20, 580, about 400 over invoice!, doc fee was on 99.00 and I paid no sales tax since I dont live in AL. Now I ride by the dealers here and laugh in their faces! I recently got an alarm with keyless entry installed for 225.00! less than half of what the dealer wanted! So Im pretty happy!
Did you try Valdosta? They tried to lure me over there with a great price on a EX. By the way I'm In Orlando, Fl.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From now til the end of the month san leandro honda is selling Element EX 2wd Automatic for $17,846.00 and Element EX 4wd Automatic for $19,096.00 (Internet prices -- this means dealing only with the internet sales dept.).

I am going to get mine there this week hopefully.

This price is so low that the other honda dealership who was offering $100 off any competing price refused to honor the offer.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am feeling pretty good now....I paid less than Car and Driver's List average price for an Element :)

Our dealer went $700 below sticker, and while that is not invoice I am very happy with the price and the service.

I can't imagine a $2K-$5K mark-up....but one dealer in St. Louis quoted me via the internet a price over $23K for a 4WD EX in EBP.....obviously I did not buy there.....that dealer was by far the most outta hand quote that we received.

Another dealer here in St. Louis kept trying to push the DX on us.....probably because they did not have any EXs in stock....go figure!

But I will say this.....I know the E is a HOT car....but still haven't seen that many here in St. Louis, and on my Road Trip to Chicago this week (5 Days) I only saw ONE Element....and Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the USA.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Seeing some of the vehicles on that list I can't imagine the the G-class Mercedes is a volume seller. I read somewhere that they weren't shipping that many over here from the Austrian factory where it's built. This list must have to do with supply vs. demand, and in the early days of the Element dealers weren't getting that many of them. I think only recently that the stream of Elements coming from the factory started increasing.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
the list does not relate to the volume of sales, but only to the speed at which those models sell once they are on delar lots. The Element sits for an average of 5 days at a dealer before it is sold, the fastest turn of any car on the list. It's relative scarcity probably helps it's score in this type of rating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much, as the Oddessy is not a head turner , but it made the list...

I think that Honda will definitely make the 75,000 mark that they set for the first year, but I understand that they made provisions to manufacture and ship more if the vehicals sales took off. I'm saving to buy one during the Summer so I'm hoping that they don't get that popular that quick... it does seems like some people hate the boxy look, so maybe I have a shot.

All I can do is wait and see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered a sop 4wd ex and got it for 19,999 and 3.9% financing. I went in and had been misinformed by a sales man and walked out pissed. Then on saturday I went back and they were pretty appologetic and I got it for that price and I am happy.
Tragu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts