Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The niche of people who bought the element and thus prompted Honda to keep it need to be happy with the redesign. So hopefully somebody from Honda had been and will continue to monitor this forum for feedback.
Do’s and Don’ts (I have an 2009EX)

1. Do not change the look too much. It is a unique design no big fix needed there.

2. Do keep the balance between everyday use and weekend warrior.
3. Do angle the windshield a bit lower. Better aerodynamics and less bug guts.

4. Do install a flexible, practical center console between the seats.
5. Don’t install carpets!
6. Do install better mirrors that have wide angles built in.
7. Don’t change the unique doors, but I’d like to open the rear windows without stopping.

8. Do add some more gauges and gadgets. A real compass, a built in NOAA weather radio,
Cell phone cradle with Bluetooth, rear backup camera in mirror and some old temp and oil gauges.

9. Do consider moving the shifter closer to the driver like in the Pilot. This makes more room as well.

10. Do not change the name!

11. Do consider a few special editions that load up the favorite accessories at discount.

12. Do not add a V6 but keep tweaking the 4.( A 6 speed manual?)
13. Do consider Saturn style polymer panels for more off road durability.
14. Don’t ignore all the ideas on this forum!
15. Do keep the roof center storage but how about individual driver and passenger side sun/moon roofs?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The niche of people who bought the element and thus prompted Honda to keep it need to be happy with the redesign. So hopefully somebody from Honda had been and will continue to monitor this forum for feedback.
Do’s and Don’ts (I have an 2009EX)

1. Do not change the look too much. It is a unique design no big fix needed there.

7. Don’t change the unique doors, but I’d like to open the rear windows without stopping.

8. Do add some more gauges and gadgets. A real compass, a built in NOAA weather radio,
Cell phone cradle with Bluetooth, rear backup camera in mirror and some old temp and oil gauges.

9. Do consider moving the shifter closer to the driver like in the Pilot. This makes more room as well.

11. Do consider a few special editions that load up the favorite accessories at discount.

15. Do keep the roof center storage but how about individual driver and passenger side sun/moon roofs?
Huh? I love number 3(everyone loves how you can see everything) &number 4(easy access to back seats without opening the door or easy access for a passenger to go grab something while the car is moving), it's what makes the element unique.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
addendum

I should add onto bug guts the $100+ I put out for a stone that cracked the windshield. I'm looking for old CR-V style windshield. 2002-06 vintage

Note I said "flexible console" If you can make the rear seats get out of the way why not the console?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Additional thoughts:

- Keep it true to its soul of ultra-flexible vehicle for whatever it is that you do.

- +10000 on "NO CARPET"! Maybe a tough rubber flooring, aka horse stall mat?

- Possibly increase towing capacity without too many major changes?

- Leave the MT shifter where it is, I love the rally style!!

- 6 speed MT if you make an MT at all!!

- Keeping the tank-like structure and unbelievable accident survivability is a must. On the rare occasion that I feel tempted to look at other vehicles, all I need to do is page through some of the crash threads to see that I'm in the right vehicle.

-Increase ground clearance a bit for those of us who like to run around in the mud?

-DEFINITELY keep the quick-removable rear seats. This is a GODSEND to musicians and others who haul big, bulky items at a moment's notice!

- Another bump on the plastic panels/fenders or something even tougher. Off-road or even running around to Home Depot they're a lifesaver!

That's all I have for now, more later...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
I think that this subject has been beaten to death in previous threads, so I'm not going to re-iterate my lengthy list of suggested tweaks. (I'll be happy if and when a second generation Element becomes available, just as long as it is recognizable as an Element.)

My only real complaint about the original design is that the doors are parking lot ding-attractors.

I'd like to see a functional anti-dent door treatment - like a strengthening crease on the door skin at the right height for an optional side molding. Thin profile side moldings don't provide enough protection for a large low-crown panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep the beating the drum

I'd like to link that forums like this kept the Element alive.
It would be bad business for Honda to cut off a group of happy, passionate and loyal customers that created and frequent this site. So keep beating the drum about what we like and dislike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More philosophy for second generation

I should kick myself for not seeing this earlier.

If the SC version continues,( I don't know what the sales ratio is between the SC and standard Element) I think Honda should further the gap between the two. Make the SC the city dweller with some outback capability and push the regular Element more outback.

Let the SC get a little more comfy. How about some AstroTurf in it? :)

A SC with a rawhide seats?

Now that I think of it maybe Three Elements need be made.

Element SC - Sport City Hipster

Element - Regular Edition as is with tweeks.

Element - EV Excursion Version (Higher Ground Clearance & everything the outbackers want)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I would like if Honda got rid of the clunky body style changes starting with the '09 and went back to the hood + wheel openings of the previous years. The E lost a bit of its soul when you did that.

I see the practical reason for this but I LIKE the windshield the way it is, also the feel of spaciousness and the headroom. I'm a big guy and I bought the E because of the room inside. Sloping windscreen would cut in to that.

UGH! At least, make it removable then - for credit on the price tag. I was lucky enough to be able to choose between an '08 and an '09 and aside from the ugly body style changes, the console was the deciding factor.

YES! Carpet = BAD. Better mirrors = GOOD

These are all fine but not if they raise the price tag. In fact, I'd have been a lot happier if that expensive and useless XM radio was removable for credit. Dropping the clamshell side doors would end my interest in it completely, as would poorly thought out and dangerous "gimmicks" like paddle shifters.

NO! NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO EXCLAMATION MARK!!! I have a Pilot too and the thing I wish it had most was the E's wonderful shift lever instead of that steering shaft lever.

A -FRONT- sunroof instead of the moonroof, yes. Deleting it entirely was a rotten thing to do to the people who bought the '09's and up.

Fix the E's few really glaring faults, such as the tiny battery and the junk OEM tires. Switching to more visible LED lighting front and rear would make a good style and marketable safety improvement over the poor tail lights on the earlier models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shifter clairification

I love the passion of the responses!

Keep the size of the shifter yes!

I just like it moved towards the drive a few inches to make more room on the center console.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but would the motor out of the hot rod civic fit in the E? I think that would be a good way to boost performance with out a lot of trial and error mods on the part of owners. My son-in-law has one and its a sweet litttle engine. It could be and Esi.
se

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts