Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've searched but haven't been able to find a photo of a sleeping arrangement with the rear seats flipped to the sides and the front seats pushed forward.

Reason Im asking is, can I comfortably sleep in thE back of the E without removing the rear seats and with out sleeping on seats folded flat.

Thanks everyone! The more pics the better!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey!

Thanks for the reply! I'm 5'11.

Will an air mattress not fit with the rear seats in? Not wide enough?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
With the front seats shoved forward, and the rear ones up against the sides, there is room on the floor for a twin size air mattress. That is, the floor is about 6' long, and 42" wide. If you can leave the tailgate open, you gain another 18" of length.

Two problems:
- the width is about 4" greater than the mattress width so there is a gap that you might roll into, or need to fill
- if the mattress is thick (e.g. 5") there might only be 6" space between it and the bottom of the seat; plus if you sit up, at shoulder level width will be less by the thickness of the seats.

Some have been able to fit a double (full) size air mattress in there - if it doesn't mind being confined. Some are too stiff when inflated.

Anyways, there is plenty of room for one, provided you aren't too tall. It is a snug fit for two.

Older front seats fold foward more than the newer ones (with the seat belt mounted to the seat back). I think both slide forward the same; it's just the angle of seat back tilt that is different.

·
Registered
150 Posts
sleeping in the back

trying to upload a couple, I've done it with seats in, out, 1 up and 1 down. I like to sleep with my thermarest on the seats on 1 side and remove the other side if possible. I have done it with both seats up on the side and it's ok, you just lose some space for movement. for my old kness etc it's easier to get up and off the seats/bed than off the floor...sorry the pics aren't better. top and bottom pics are sleeping on the seats, middle is with thermarest on floor. Dog bed on floor,he usually ends up on the bed tho!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow!

That's great! Thanks very much for the work. I'll most likely put the passenger side flat and the other side flopped up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
sleeping in the back

I arrange according to campsite and how many grandsons are riding with me,LOL! if solo I take both rear seats out. I've used cabana most of the time, in May out at the Suwannee river I just had mosquito net around the back hatch for better air flow. thats what is great about the Element, you can experiment and arrange to fit the situation:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
The SUV air mattress ($28 at Walmart.com) fits real good, but if you're 6' tall, you will need to leave the tailgate down to stretch out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i rarely have my back seats in but a full size mattress fits just fine on the floor even with them in, it just rubs against the sides. i made a platform for mine so that it sits just above those pockets that are on the inside right against the tailgate. its a little wider up there so you have more room you just have to have both seats out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts