Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite the day yesterday...

Our daughter is getting her driver's license in August and will be driving my old car. My wife and I tested the Element way back in March and knew it was what we wanted, but we really don't need it until August, right? So in the meantime I have been lurking this and other forums, gathering info and making sure there are no major "first model year" or other problems that appear as more Es get out on the roads.

Windshield problems... OK not a biggie, will be fixed over time. Other minor bugs, I can deal with them. Front and offset crash tests, 5 stars! YES!
Things are still in GO mode.

In late May we talked to our dealer about the best way to make sure we got our SOP EX AWD by the end of July/beginning of August. Our salesperson suggested that we look at the June production list and reserve an E from that list. We get it in late June, a little earlier than we planned, but she said if we waited for July production and her dealer got shorted on SOP EXs then we'd be waiting until September or October. OK, we can't wait any longer anyway, LET's DO IT!

We get a call, June 19 is the BIG DAY! And then, after months of nothing but good vibes about the E, and only a matter of days before we get it in our hot little hands, the side impact crash test results come out. I'm not going to rehash all the back and forth emotions that ran through our heads - they've been covered by others pretty well in another thread in this forum - but the one main thought we had was "were we shortsighted in not getting side air bags?". All the previous tests had been 5-star, no reason to think the side test would be any different! But hey, my previous cars included a Ford Pinto and a Jeep, even without side air bags the E is a safety godsend. But .... we're planning on having the E for many years, why didn't we get the darn airbags, in five years we'll have the only vehicle on the planet without them! But E production with airbags is spotty, will we have to wait forever for one?

Bottom line is two days before the 19th we called and left a voice mail asking our salesperson if there were any Es with side airbags to be had. Due to our schedule differences she didn't get back to us until the morning of the 19th - six hours before we are due to pick up our E! - to say that there was ONE SOP EX with side bags scheduled for July production, that another dealer had dibs on it, but she would check it's status.

Our appointment to pick up the E is at 5:00, and at 3:45 she still hasn't heard from the other dealer. OK, enough is enough, I need to leave work, pick up the wife and kids, and head to the dealership - it was a good try, but let's just go ahead with the "bagless" E. Of course, there is a problem on the highway and my 15 minute commute takes 55 &$%# minutes! I get home at 4:55, and we've got 5 minutes to make the 30-minute trip to the dealer. I pull into the driveway, and the kids are in swimsuits and my wife is lounging in the neighbor's yard! Why aren't they standing in the driveway ready to LEAP into the car? I scramble out and yell, "We've got to GO!".

Well, no we don't. My wife ambles up and tells me that the phone rang at 4:30 with the news that the other dealer had finally connected with our salesperson and that the SOP with airbags was ours. Production the week of July 7, hopefully in our hands by the end of July! It was a bit of a letdown to not be picking up our E, and who knows if we will ever need those side airbags, but for $250 extra and an extra months wait, I think things worked out for the best in the end.....

Happiness to all E owners out there, will be joining you soon...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well written-- on one hand I'm sorry that you're not getting the crack that E ownership is RIGHT THIS MOMENT. On the other, I greatly admire, respect, and even covet your patience. I would be pulling my hair out at this point! :)

I hope you get your airbagged-E sooner than later. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep meanelvis, waiting until August makes financial sense - why pay for and insure a third car when we won't have a third driver until then - but IT SURE AS HECK HASN'T BEEN EASY :(

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm so glad that this worked out for you, MinnyHummer.

August will be here fairly soon. And you'll have the car you wanted.

All the best to you and your family.

·
Registered
66 Posts
cool article.
a nice change from all the bashing that's been going on around here.

hope you enjoy your 'e' as much as we enjoy ours!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Things do work out sometimes, don't they. Good decision in waiting for the sideairbags. I have been waiting for 3 months longer than I wanted to wait, just to get the sideairbags. My E is supposed to arrive at the dealer any minute. I sure am glad I waited. It was nerve wracking but now that it is due to arrive, it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What would it take to have side air bags added after delivery? can it be done? Would it be something Honda would consider installing due to the results of the test?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Side airbags must be installed at the factory during the creation of the car. They are not anything at all like an accessory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts