Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the folks that left such details descriptions and photos of their DIY platform beds for the E. Especially Goofcat and Rishio. I borrowed elements from each of their projects. I have not yet completed mine... I am waiting to buy the legs from IKEA when I can do so at their store in order to save the cost of shipping. I added some carpet padding under the carpet so that I would have some comfort if I was using the platform without the mattress sometime. Also, I would point out that if one builds the platform in two sections (approx. 24"x 47-48") then you can leave the aft section in the vehicle even when you are not camping and have put the rear seats back in place (see photo). The aft section fits nicely in the cargo area and can serve as a cargo shelve or to conceal stored cargo below the platform, such as jumper cables. Here are some of the photos of my project so far. I will post more once I install the legs and restraining cables and camping mattress. I'd be happy to share more photos and/or construction details upon request.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More details

I mostly followed Goofcat's instructions, with some minor changes. For example, I made a small (1/2" x1/2" from the corner) 45 degree cut off each of six corners of the plywood so as to avoid ever bumping into a sharp corner. On the two aft most corners a larger cut has to been made in order to fit the corners of the E. Goofcat's instructions indicate a 3"x3" from the corner, 45 degree cut. I modified it to fit the corners of the E closer. My cut was about 2-1/2" along the side edge from the corner & 3"along the tailgate edge from the corner. In other words not exactly a 45 degree angle cut. Additionally I fastened the 3/4" angled aluminum pieces with Gorilla glue and wood screws. I countersunk the holes in the aluminum so that the screw heads fit flush. I put four screws equally spaced along each piece of aluminum. This also avoids the need for clamps while the glue dries.

Is there anything else would you like to know?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey man!

Looking great :D. Hope you get the IKEA legs soon so, you can be ready for summer camping season. I've camped on my for a season now. Can't think of anything I would change. Let me know how it works out for you.

Goofy

p.s. The alum. channels keeps the wood from flexing as much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
how do they fit with the seats folded up on the walls? I've never seen anyone's pics with the seats lik that yet.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I use aluminum channel on the long edges of my platform boards. You can buy channel specifically for the purpose (with a 1/2" inside spacing that fits snuggly over plywood).

My boards are poly coated but not carpeted. The aluminum adds a bit of stiffness, and finishes the exposed edges. I attached the strips with glue and screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the board and thanking everyone who contributes.

We are building a platform bed - Many people recommend LURÖY slats with Skorva support beams - or something similar. We have been thinking of using plywood sheet - Is the breath-ability with plywood as a platform an issue? We are new to this and welcome your thoughts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts