Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will do a DIY on this in the next few days but i just wanted to post that it does work. i still have to take the control surrounds back out and paint them cause i dont like the silver with the rest of the truck, and the ones from the E have a different mounting depth on the top mouting post so i couldnt just swap them, stay tuned for the DIY.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will do a DIY on this in the next few days but i just wanted to post that it does work. i still have to take the control surrounds back out and paint them cause i dont like the silver with the rest of the truck, and the ones from the E have a different mounting depth on the top mouting post so i couldnt just swap them, stay tuned for the DIY.

Hey Zachary

glad you got t to work. Didn't realize you have an sc. How you like the feel of the leather as opposed to the stock one?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Zachary

glad you got t to work. Didn't realize you have an sc. How you like the feel of the leather as opposed to the stock one?
It's very nice compared to the old one. the only thing is that it smells like smoke. i guess whoever you got it from must have been a smoker and the smell is still present in the wheel. i have some lexol cleaner and conditioner that will hopefully take care if it but if not i will bring it to my buddy whos details and let him put the "ozone machine" in my truck for an afternoon.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here it is after i got the side pieces painted shiney black to match the rest of the trim pieces in the SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my Element to the dealership to have my OEM sidesteps put on today. My buddy is the Service manager so it was nice and cheap. While we were waiting for his guys to do the work he shows up with a leather pilot steering wheel and said he heard some Element owners like to swap out their vinyl ones with them. I got it for free!!! So how hard is it to swap out!? I'm sort of challenged when it comes to this kind of stuff and would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks nice Yoda..I recently did this mod and love it as well. On a side note did the 3 notch marks on the steering column line up perfectly with the pilot wheel? I notice mine is a few notch marks off but drives straight

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice Yoda..I recently did this mod and love it as well. On a side note did the 3 notch marks on the steering column line up perfectly with the pilot wheel? I notice mine is a few notch marks off but drives straight
yeah, it lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just pulled the instructions off the handa sight. According to Honda if the 3 notch marks don't line up on the steering rod and steering wheel the toe is the culprit, how can the toe be off if the suspension is totally stock? Seems weird that toe would be off by simply swapping a wheel

·
Registered
836 Posts
Could i use this mod to put controls on the steering wheel of an 04?( without a ton of soldering/electrical work) Or does this simply swap the wheel to leather?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's not that simple unfortunatly. you would have to replace the clockspring that also carries the air bag deply signal wires and run your own wiring down to the radio, one that had SWC capability in addition to the steering wheel itself.

·
Registered
836 Posts
damn this sounds difficult but at the same time it sounds intresting, thanks for your help yoda!! the wheel looks great!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn this sounds difficult but at the same time it sounds intresting, thanks for your help yoda!! the wheel looks great!
I know a few people that have done it for show cars to control other things from the steering wheel on various other vehicles, but i have not myself done it. And honestly i dont think i would as i dont like to tamper with anything that could possibly impact the SRS's reliability. dont right it would be a great mod, but not right could end badly, very badly. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts