Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched and only found one where someone was selling one but none talking about installing one and what they thought of it.

I'm about to get this unit, was deciding between the AVIC-F700BT and the AVIC-D3, But I liked the mem card slot and other features better in the F700BT.

From reading the http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=123645&highlight=powered#post123645 thread

But I cant determine or don't know how to know if the unit is a "non-powered" or "powered" HU.. From pics of the wires ive seen there appears to be RCAs so I want to assume non-powered? which would mean I need 3 "PAC SNI-35 Line Level Speaker to RCA Adapter"s?

then I've also determined I need a "Metra 70-1721 honda wiring harness"
so do I also need a "Generic Radio Harness" ?

Did I miss anything That I'm going to need harness wise? Anyone have any thoughts or warnings about this unit? anything is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the 900BT

BigAl is right you will need that Metra and some patience.
The fit behind the radio TIGHT:shock:.
After you install the unit start thinking speakers. (SOON 8))

The link Big Al was my road map and I got there in 2 hours. Most of that was spent making the Metra Perfect. (I'm AR) That included getting the trim ring for the Pilot.

Good luck, Can't wait to see your PICS when done.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah def gonna post pics! now is the pilot trim necessary? or is the one from the E just that bad of a fit?

also since I see you have the unit, any particular major problems you have with it?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I've got the same exact unit sitting in my garage awaiting a weekend free of other commitments so I can tear into this. Lot's of disassembly to install all of the components

• Head unit, I've got the Metra harness, what install kit do I need? The generic kit for the same year Pilot?
  • XM module, I plan to install this behind the rear side panel where the stock unit is located
  • GPS and XM antennas - plan to install these using the "hidden antenna" instructions.

Also have the ipod adapter cable, but that's just a plug-in, no real install to that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have a usb ipod cable for a computer I was going to use, is it necessary to get the one made specifically for the unit if I'm not planning on using video?

Also about the pilot install kit from what I saw on Ebay the kit fits years 03'-09' so I assume that means the year isn't necessary?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yeah I have a usb ipod cable for a computer I was going to use, is it necessary to get the one made specifically for the unit if I'm not planning on using video?
yes, the regular ipod cable for a computer will not work

·
Registered
148 Posts
ShroomMastaP I had One installed from best buy jsut becuase but watched them and uninstalled it myself. It is very easy and straight forward. The only trouble I had was with the sub cable, It was a deffrent color than it was suppost to be for some reason but it was just plug and play really. Also selling it right now with wireing harness, In dash mount and everything else:-D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so after all my reading and researching and ect i feel im ready to install it, just some questions..

I have the 70-1725 harness set and hooked up, now i read on a site:

white rca -> front left
grey rca -> front right
green rca -> rear left
purple rca -> rear right

so i'm using that set up, just they dont specify what color plugs into white and what one red. so i assumed right-red ?

last question is that after i have that harness set up, I'm still left with 2 (to me they look important) plugs in the back of my stock radio, but don't know what to do with them in the new installation?

The green plug and the white one far right in my picture:

Now i do know that one is the sub harness and thats what I have to splice into, do i just leave the other free hanging?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just realized its the aux plug, n since this HU has a front aux plug I wont need to plug in the stock one? so I can take it out and put another cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Correct - you can leave it alone. (unless you want to get fancy and splice that into the AUX inputs in the rear of the unit)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so far this is what i have as far as the harness being wired into the wires That came with the unit's harness.

things I'm unsure about is on the Metra 70-1725 left unatached to anything are a solid orange, Blue with white stripe and a black wire that I dont have attacked to anything.

on the HU's setup I have a solid blue wire (with the tag "antenna control" on it) but it has a different end connector on it? I have a Black one but the manual says its the grounding wire so I ground it on the vehicle (metal) body, and no solid orange But I read on another post why (just slips my mind atm)

Also on the HU's harness there is that bundle of wires that match all of that as the RCA connectors so I assume since I have RCA there is no need for these?

So far:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Alright, so far this is what i have as far as the harness being wired into the wires That came with the unit's harness.

things I'm unsure about is on the Metra 70-1725 left unatached to anything are a solid orange, Blue with white stripe and a black wire that I dont have attacked to anything.

on the HU's setup I have a solid blue wire (with the tag "antenna control" on it) but it has a different end connector on it? I have a Black one but the manual says its the grounding wire so I ground it on the vehicle (metal) body, and no solid orange But I read on another post why (just slips my mind atm)

Also on the HU's harness there is that bundle of wires that match all of that as the RCA connectors so I assume since I have RCA there is no need for these?

So far:

the blue/white on the metra harness needs to be hooked to the blue/white comming from the new radio in the rca harness, think they call it "system remote control" or something like that. all the speaker wires from the new radio harness and the orange one form the metra harness need to be capped off or just tape them up good. the blacks can get hooked together, just cut the ring terminal off the radio side harness and attach it to the one on the metra harness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One more thing - ShroomMastaP - are you planning on doing the DVD bypass? It's pretty simple and now's the time to do it. Move the yellow cell phone mute wire in the harness to the new location as shown and ground it. Be careful pushing it out - push down & out with a needle or something small and push it all the way in the new sopt. Ground the lime green parking brake wire.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17013

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for all the help! I've now got all the wires connected except
the reverse gear input - Is it necessary if I'm not putting in a camera?
and the "Antenna Control"

I switched the mute wire like the diagram showed, found it easy to use the needle to pull up on the white piece and the wire slid right out! and then used "amp splice tap connectors" and attached them into the black wire like your picture showed.

Only thing im waiting on now is the ipod wire and the faceplate from the pilot. But I'll prob hold off on the pilot piece for money reasons and just install it without.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
One question - any reason to not remove the excess wire from the parking brake lead? It's a tight fit in the dash for all these harnesses and I'd like to eliminate some bulk. I think I will also remove the unused speaker leads entirely from the Metra harness, again just to eliminate extra stuff.

Do I need a Honda antenna adapter like this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks so much for all the help! I've now got all the wires connected except
the reverse gear input - Is it necessary if I'm not putting in a camera?
and the "Antenna Control"

Nope, it isnt needed any more since they dont do the vss wire and the radio deoesnt need to know if the pulses are from the car going forward or backwards, and the antenna on the older ones is tied into the same wire as the blue/white goes to, not individual ones like the newer ones that require an antenna adaptor that have two wires. in short, cap it off.

I switched the mute wire like the diagram showed, found it easy to use the needle to pull up on the white piece and the wire slid right out! and then used "amp splice tap connectors" and attached them into the black wire like your picture showed.

Only thing im waiting on now is the ipod wire and the faceplate from the pilot. But I'll prob hold off on the pilot piece for money reasons and just install it without.

sounds like you got it from here

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
One question - any reason to not remove the excess wire from the parking brake lead? It's a tight fit in the dash for all these harnesses and I'd like to eliminate some bulk. I think I will also remove the unused speaker leads entirely from the Metra harness, again just to eliminate extra stuff.

Do I need a Honda antenna adapter like this?

yes you need a metra 40-hd10

·
Registered
489 Posts
Pics pics pics

We say it never happened if there was no PIC>

:lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We say it never happened if there was no PIC>

:lol:
Yeah i went to install it and was just gonna put the trim piece in after but didnt realize the E's brackets wont fit an aftermarket.. so this radio is sitting on my desk all pre-wired up ready to be placed in!

I already went ahead and installed the GPS antenna I'll get pics to put up tomorrow, I put it below the wiper trip on the passenger side and strung the wire already up to the radio, so plug and play when the time comes.

On the microphone i Keep changing my mind.... First was going to put it below the gauge cluster on top of that stationary part of the steering wheel.. then i changed it to an upside down spot on bottom right of the gauge cluster between it and the radio, then I was driving home tonight n thought that wiring it to the rearview mirror might be an even better location but I'm not too sure how well i'd pic-up my voice or ho close to it I have to be..

Otherwise Im getting the Ai Hon-k834 kit

1 - 20 of 75 Posts