Hello and welcome to the "show"

This is space used for my install log

Today I:
removed the necessary plastics to get todays work done
made and ran RCA's under the cup holders
made amp bypass cables to the cup holders
ran a 4g amp cable from the batt to the cup holders
accomplished a ground wire
took off all the plastic to get ready for speaker install + unscrewed all but one screw in each speaker
removed stock sub
finished the wire taps on the Pioneer Avic-F90BT

Soon i will:
Install the polk db 6501's in the front of the cabin
Install the polk db561's in the rear of the cabin
Measure out the Sub box, Cut the wood and install that beast

Future plans include:
Back up cam (waiting on CC's closeout sales to hit 50%-60%)
Adding a 15" Kicker Solo-Baric to the wheel well
Putting a screen up top for watching movies while "camping" in the back

(did a few other mods that will be in another thread i will post called "all my mods")

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO here are the pictures of todays work

Here is the screw that is recommended to remove in order to make the amp bypass alot easier, its located behind the glove box, just look to the right

Here is the amp and the harness i will be tapping into is the grey one, for a schematic of the wires go HERE

Here is where i was dumb and decided to pull the RCA's UP to the HU (with the hanger method)(actually wasn't THAT hard but it could have been easier the other way)

Here we have the RCA's in my rusty cup holder area

Kinda dark but, here you can see how i took advantage of the pre exsisting plastic holders to run my wire down then tucked under the metal holding the seats in and under that plastic too

A few of the 4g amp power cable and 100a fuse

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a coat hanger and feed it up towards the engine thur this hole (remove the rubber stopper that is plugging up the hole behind the hood release), wrap tape around your coat hanger and 4g wire and pull back into car

Here is the mess that is waiting for the "plug and play" once the components come in :D

Here is the tap for the VCC wire really bad pic will try to get a better one but its located on the ECU behind the glove box and its blue with a (insert strip color here) on the passengers side of the top most connector look in the middle of that row and you'll see it (more pictures of the required AVIC wires to come soon)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we would all appreciate some images to go with the diy.
OF COURSE! it wouldn't be note worthy without pictures! the entire process will be documented with to many pictures! you spoke to early! :D

MORE pictures to come too the sub box is going to take time to "perfect" going to try to relocate the cup holders, considering putting a set "seat warmer" buttons for a future mod (everytime im in my buddies car i turn them on) also there will be power outlets and a rear "display" case for the amps i hope (if it all fits)

thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Are you using phone cable for rca's?? Also, they make a plug in amp bypass cable for the factory amp. You just remove the plug from the amp, plug it into the bypass harness and route the wires to the new amp location. I'm not putting down what you have done and I know it probably cost more money that what you have invested into those cables. Just putting the info out there. Nice job with all the pics!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha 22g phone cable would be GREAT to see as wireing lol i wonder how long it would take to melt lol, so no its not phone cable

and i know about the bypass cable and total cost of my cable job was around 30 $ so it was cheaper and custom fit :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Can't wait to see this come together. We're expecting nice weather this weekend in NEPA so I hope to get my speakers installed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OHH i cant wait either! JUST checked the order status and the packages should be arriving today! says "out for delivery!"
Just arranged with a guy at work to work on the box at his house SAT (he has a table saw)
so some prelim pictures of that hefty thing will be up sat night i hope

knowing me ill prob go out and install the speakers tonight (im off at 8) or early tomorrow morning off the stock amp just to get the better sound quality
but knowing how i want this install to go i may stay disiplined untill i have afull day to install everything rigth IE wait till sunday to put in the components

EDIT
OH NOES! there are phasing issues in the element! good for me i got some quick connects with my order from crutch feild i reversed the pins on the connector and BINGO sounds back, only held in with a screw atm but i wanted to hear them and test for the known issue before i put it all back together

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hahaha 22g phone cable would be GREAT to see as wireing lol i wonder how long it would take to melt lol, so no its not phone cable

and i know about the bypass cable and total cost of my cable job was around 30 $ so it was cheaper and custom fit :)
I can't ever figure out why people think that this stuff cost a lot of money, then I realized I am thinking of it from my point of view. I could have purchased the bypass cable (it plugs in and you can cut the length off for a "custom fit") and 3 nice sets of short RCA's for probably less than you have into your cables. So what kind of wiring did you use, cause in the photo it definately looks like phone cable :-D

....and by the way, I worked on a car last night that had the 4 gauge running to the main amp and then power, ground and remote from that amp to the 4 channel amp via 3 wires from either phone cable or stuff you buy from HD on a roll...not safe, lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i checked th gauge oh the radio harness and matched it, the rcas are 16ga twisted pair should all get hooked up on sunday building a template for the box tonight and sun will be spent in my buddies wood shop building the box hopefully everything will be good for monday for a prefit then i MIGHT get to carpet it before i leave for daytona on wednesday, got pit passes :D and i dont want to leave everything parked on the street for a week while im gone

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i checked th gauge oh the radio harness and matched it, the rcas are 16ga twisted pair should all get hooked up on sunday building a template for the box tonight and sun will be spent in my buddies wood shop building the box hopefully everything will be good for monday for a prefit then i MIGHT get to carpet it before i leave for daytona on wednesday, got pit passes :D and i dont want to leave everything parked on the street for a week while im gone
So you just used twisted pair wire? No shielding? IF you have any noise problems when this is all said and done, those "rca's" would be the first thing I would look at. It's such a short run, it may not be an issue though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you just used twisted pair wire? No shielding? IF you have any noise problems when this is all said and done, those "rca's" would be the first thing I would look at. It's such a short run, it may not be an issue though.
ohh i know! ive got plans for that aswell its a risk but ill see whats up after the install the wires are all pretty isolated so we will see how it goes cant wait to get into the shop

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SOO today was my first sunday off in about 3 yrs so i present to you todays work which included

makeing a small "rip" in the plastic broke about 2 inched down from where the tweeter is clean thou and should patch up fine

cutting the e break in half to make a "mini" ebrake that was fully functional but atm is only partially functional (pictures to come)

slicing my thumb

crushing a tweeter in the door :( (NO FEAR! i belive i still have some polk momo tweeters laying around that are waiting to be used) :)

and the stock plastic does not fit over the speaker mounting adapters not sure what im going to do about it im just glad i can have better sound atm :)

"bald" speaker hole with the necessary wires for the cross overs

with speaker mount

function over form atm cross over "sits" in door "tray"

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AND the box build started a few days ago currently the air volume is about 19ltrs im going to try to squeeze another out of it lol and YES the screws are minimal there are more to come i just wanted to get this box put together for now. the fit is unbelievably tight for the 8inch kicker the amp still sits nestled in the back so far im very happy with it... now to find the right themed cloth (surprises in store!)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Interesting box. I take it the sub will be firing forward into the stock sub?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting box. I take it the sub will be firing forward into the stock sub?
yes stock sub is removed a "blanket" will be in its place the edges facing the factory sub will have felt at minimum to reduce "buzz" im still debating which color felt dont jsut want black

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't want to sound negative or like I am criticizing your work, but I would highly recommend you use crimp caps instead of those wire nuts on the door speakers....or any other wire connection for that matter. Wire nuts are made for house wiring where things are less likely to vibrate them off. Curious to see how the box is gonna look when finished. Any pics of the modified e-brake?

yes stock sub is removed a "blanket" will be in its place the edges facing the factory sub will have felt at minimum to reduce "buzz" im still debating which color felt dont jsut want black
Not sure what you mean by this....maybe I am read too much into it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to sound negative or like I am criticizing your work, but I would highly recommend you use crimp caps instead of those wire nuts on the door speakers....or any other wire connection for that matter. Wire nuts are made for house wiring where things are less likely to vibrate them off. Curious to see how the box is gonna look when finished. Any pics of the modified e-brake?

yeah soon ill have the ebrake pictures ill put some up im leaving for daytona for a week thou so no more work :( for a but, the wire nuts are for testing, as soon as i get to pull into a garage its all soulder

Not sure what you mean by this....maybe I am read too much into it.
not sure what im gunna use yet but i jsut dont want the felted wood to viberate against the plastic and make any humming

1 - 20 of 29 Posts