Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin with, my apologies if this has been discussed already, I could not find an answer. And keep in mind that I really like the factory sound.
My scenario is as follows. I installed a Pioneer Avic-f700bt nav unit in my 07' Element SC. I was unsatisfied with the sound via the Mitra harness connector, a lot of hiss and distortion due to feeding an amplified source into an amp. I then connected the HU up to the factory amp via the preamp RCA outputs. This solution cleaned up the sound but now I have to almost have the attenuator cranked to get any volume out of the speakers. And although the sound is clearer, I feel that there are crossover issues. Too many low frequencies out of the door speakers, and not as much subwoofer control as before.
I am reluctant to change the factory amp because I do not want to have stereo parts mounted all over the place (have done that before). So I'd like to know a couple of things:

1. is there a gain control on the factory amp?
2. where did the factory stereo do the crossover? Head unit/amp/external?

Thanx

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
1-no there is no gain adjustment that can be made on the factory amplifer unfortunatly.
2- there is no crossing over persay on the factory radio. the only x over is on the sub portion of the factory amplifier. the factory radio will decrease the about of bass or low frequency output as the volume increases as will most factory radios, but it is not crossed over. This is done to avoid constant speaker swap outs having to be done by the dealer under warranty. if you hook the system up with the speaker level outputs and run them thru a line level converter like the scosche one that they have at walmart for 19 dollars this may give you a good happy median.

The 700 may have crossovers built in to it cause i know that my D1 does and i think that the wife's D3 deos also so you may want to check in the audio setup menu before going thru all that other stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Yoda, any ideas why my 700bt sounds so poor? I was thinking that the RCA pre outs would be the best solution. But the fact that I have to take it to the mid 50's on the volume control (max. is 64) to get an audible volume is a real mystery to me.

And yes, the 700bt does have a crossover built in.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would say that it has to do with the fact that is has 2.2V preouts. This is not bad for an aftermarket radio's preouts, but most of the factory radios that use a factory amp like the ex/sc's do have an almost speaker level output driving them. your best bet would be to rewire it speaker level thru that scosche line output converter and have it just barely knocked down. THis should give you the factory volume level you are looking for and the lack of hiss and overdriving that you get with just the speaker connected without the LOC. Metra makes an RCA style harness for our cars (70-1725) but it will leave you where you are now as far as volume. you could also add line drivers to each set of rcas the way you have them now and be able to adjust them up and down, but this can get pricy and take up alot of room in your dash that if yours is like mine with the double din in there you dont have to spare. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
To begin with, my apologies if this has been discussed already, I could not find an answer. And keep in mind that I really like the factory sound.
My scenario is as follows. I installed a Pioneer Avic-f700bt nav unit in my 07' Element SC. I was unsatisfied with the sound via the Mitra harness connector, a lot of hiss and distortion due to feeding an amplified source into an amp. I then connected the HU up to the factory amp via the preamp RCA outputs. This solution cleaned up the sound but now I have to almost have the attenuator cranked to get any volume out of the speakers. And although the sound is clearer, I feel that there are crossover issues. Too many low frequencies out of the door speakers, and not as much subwoofer control as before.
I am reluctant to change the factory amp because I do not want to have stereo parts mounted all over the place (have done that before). So I'd like to know a couple of things:

1. is there a gain control on the factory amp?
2. where did the factory stereo do the crossover? Head unit/amp/external?

Thanx
I have the 700bt as well. However, I also have a 4 channel aftermarket amp to run my four corners. Your 5 channel amplifier is located behind the passenger side kick panel. If you know how to solder and are comfortable with wiring, you can rewire the 4 corners so that it's a straight shot from the radio to the speakers. If you are not comfortable with that scenario, you can get one of these...Metro bypass harness

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 700bt as well. However, I also have a 4 channel aftermarket amp to run my four corners. Your 5 channel amplifier is located behind the passenger side kick panel. If you know how to solder and are comfortable with wiring, you can rewire the 4 corners so that it's a straight shot from the radio to the speakers. If you are not comfortable with that scenario, you can get one of these...Metro bypass harness

Americonium, where did you place your 4 channel amp?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have the previous gen. Pioneer in dash Nav. with a 4 ch. Pioneer amp that I installed under my drivers seat. There is plenty of room, though you might have to finagle the wires a but to get it to fit the way you want it to fit. I have two channels going to the front speakers. and bridged the other two to run my sub and I run the rears off the power from the radio. Drew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts