Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have read all of the threads and still am a little confused. I have never installed a deck, but am 100% confirdent that i can do it with a little help. Any advise would be extremely appreciated.

The guy who I bought the deck from had it in an Acura, and has a harness attached from his car. Not sure if this will work for the E.

Here's a shot of the back of the deck. Any tips would be great on where to start.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
get the scosche double din kit for the e. either on ebay or a local bestbuy can order it for you. harness you need is a metra 70-1725 to integrate with the factory amp. the sub plug should be integrated by using a cheap rca cut off and wired into the green plug as described in some of the other posts. it is really pretty easy whenyou use the right parts. it is hard to say if the plug you have now will work without knowing what year and model acura it came out of.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The harness from the Acura probably won't work in the E. I say probably because stranger things have happened. Go to Best buy or your local car audio place and tell them you need a wiring harness for a 2006 Element. They will sell you a plug with wires coming out of it. This plug will attach to the plug(s) coming out of your dash that the old radio was plugged into. The wires on the other end will need to be spliced together onto the new wiring. Maybe ask the guy at the audio place if you can get some crimp caps to do the splicing. Otherwise you might need to hit up Radio Shack.

The wires from the part you'll get from the car audio place will be color coded and labeled; as are the wires that came with the new radio. Just match them up. Plug it in and you're good to go.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! I'll swing by a couple of stores tonight and see if I can get this done. I was a little confused because the harness that he gave me is spliced into the harness from the deck. One end plugs right into the deck, and the other end is the white end like you see on all the the harnesses.

Ok, I just confirmed thatmy local Bestbuy has the harness. I'll swing by and grab it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
make sure you use the 70-1725 or you will not hear the factory sub because the other speakers will be louder than it is due to the difference in input level to the amp.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I go to Bestbuy I'll make sure it's the right one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Attempt 1: Massive Failure!

Ok, so I got the harness (likely not the right one, but I'll try it). I connected it to the harness that came with the deck. Then I spliced the sub harness into the RCA cable.

I connect everything, and the deck powers up, but NO sound!

HELP!!!!! :-(

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hook the blue/white wire from your new radio up to the blue (and blue/white if it has both) wire on the harness that plugs into your element harness.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha. Really? What was I missing? I did notice that the blue wasn't attached. Thanks. I'll do it and let you know when I do. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
most people assume that because they dont have a "power antenna" they dont need it but the fact is that on the E it is both an antenna amplifier and and amplifier turn on for the audio system. good rule of thumb is that if a car doesnt have a long 33" metal antenna, it is amplified in some way. if you notice you wont be able to pick any am stations with it the way it is now either, not that nayone listens to am anymore :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I connected the blue wires and I have sound. BUT, nothing to the sub. Is this my harness, or is this my rookie splice job into the sub harness with the RCA cable?

Here's the harness I bought. I'll get the Metra one if it's the only option that will work.

http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.aspx?img=i/BHA1721.jpg

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you are not going to hear the sub even though it is probably working because the level comming from the speakers is so much higher than that of the suboutput. (like i said yesterday) this is assuming you have the sub wiring spliced into the rca as indicated in the other posts.

this is why you need the 70-1725 harness and not the 1721.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I just read in another thread that I can run RCAs direct from the speaker wires to the HU and that should correct the problem? It will essentially do the same thing as the metra harness.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that would work, just be sure to hook the center pin to all the positive leads on the factory integration harness and the outer shield on the negatives

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that would work, just be sure to hook the center pin to all the positive leads on the factory integration harness and the outer shield on the negatives
Can you clarify that a little? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
when you cut into an rca cable there will be a shield and another wire inside that. the wire in the middle (center pin) gets hooked to the positive lead and the outer shield gets hooked to the negative lead. you will need 4 rca jacks, one for each speaker set + & -. center pins get hooked to white, gray, green, violet, and the shields get hooked to white/black gray/black green/balck and violet/black.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when you cut into an rca cable there will be a shield and another wire inside that. the wire in the middle (center pin) gets hooked to the positive lead and the outer shield gets hooked to the negative lead. you will need 4 rca jacks, one for each speaker set + & -. center pins get hooked to white, gray, green, violet, and the shields get hooked to white/black gray/black green/balck and violet/black.
Ahhh, ok. That makes sense. That's going to be a PITA.

I also noticed over my lunch hour that the radio (FM) now cuts ina nd out constantly. No doubt my wiring. :cool:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahaha. I'm impatient. Maybe I'll go ahead and just order it. Can you recommend a place?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts