Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here and just bought my '04 element a week ago. I searched the forum but couldn't find an appropriate thread on this subject and I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

So, as much as I like the plastic quarter panels, I want to put a vinyl wrap on my E for my biz and supposedly they don't stick well to the plastic. Can I replace my '04 plastic panels with metal (primered is fine)? I've talked to honda as well as some body shops but no one seems to have an answer. Thank you!

Dan

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Dan unless you have the custom fabricated there isn't metal replacements for the plastic panels.

One thought is to by the panels from a 2006-2008 model that came with the panels painted from the factory. They come primired but not painted.

The front panels run about $35.00 each if you buy them online

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_...ionID=7&SectionID=8&IllustrationGroupID=11430

And the rears for should be about $150 per side. None of the online retailers i checked have the rears listed for sale. But if you call you local dealer and ask for the rear side cladding for an EX-P model they can give you a price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said he thinks the EXP panels are just painted plastic which wont work for the wrap. But it also sounded like he wasnt sure.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said he thinks the EXP panels are just painted plastic which wont work for the wrap. But it also sounded like he wasnt sure.

They are just plastic but they are a smooth finish...not textured like the unpainted models.

The Honda parts books list them as coming painted. The listing is wrong...They just come primired.

I have two or three that come into my shop that have painted panels and have been wrapped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh really? And they have no problems with the wrap? What about having my panels painted? Geex I should have gotten the exp lol

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Oh really? And they have no problems with the wrap? What about having my panels painted? Geex I should have gotten the exp lol
You could have your existing panels painted...But for the prep required it would be more economical to just buy the new panels if they are just going to be covered anyways.

Here are a couple of examples of wrapped E's.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=863749&postcount=30

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46589&highlight=vinyl+wrap

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok let look into this some more. Thank you so much for your input. If I ordered panels can i swap them out on my own?

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Ok let look into this some more. Thank you so much for your input. If I ordered panels can i swap them out on my own?
They are not difficult to do. I have done a few over the years. I have it down to about fifteen minutes a panel. I would recommend havind the service manul on hand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to switch my metal panels to the plastic ones. I have an 07 element ex. Im not sure if they are the same size, but if so, lets talk and exchange photos.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I would like to switch my metal panels to the plastic ones. I have an 07 element ex. Im not sure if they are the same size, but if so, lets talk and exchange photos.
I Have a 2003 Honda Element and I would like to up grade the plastic cladding to metal like the 2010 -2011. Is it possible

I have an 08 and all four quarter panels are plastic, just painted. Every year has plastic panels on the rear, but the 09-11 have a metal front fender. They started painting the plastic on the EX-P (the P was for Painted) models starting in in 06 and the EX in 07 and 08. LX models were still available with unpainted panels in 06-08. Then in 09-11 they were all painted and the front fenders changed to metal.

Hope this clears things up for everyone. I didn't think any of the years had metal panels till I found this.
From Kelly Blue Book:

2010 Honda Element

Exterior

Easily recognizable at any distance, the Element's boxy greenhouse, bright paint choices and forward-opening rear doors are only some of its unique styling features. The new front fenders are now made of metal, but the rear quarter panels remain painted composite plastic, which are less prone to dents and help reduce weight.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
painted fenders first appeared on the 2006 EX-P models.
"P" was for painted, otherwise same as EX model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys. Just thought I would share some quick information I just personally learned after some quick research...

On that website that sells the painted panels, they have codes in the description regarding the color of the panels. To find out what your color code is, look at the sticker inside your driver side door area that tells you the VIN #, weight, etc., of your vehicle. On the bottom of it is a color code that tells you the color of your car. (ie: B92P = Nighthawk Black Pearl)

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Hey guys. Just thought I would share some quick information I just personally learned after some quick research...

On that website that sells the painted panels, they have codes in the description regarding the color of the panels. To find out what your color code is, look at the sticker inside your driver side door area that tells you the VIN #, weight, etc., of your vehicle. On the bottom of it is a color code that tells you the color of your car. (ie: B92P = Nighthawk Black Pearl)
No matter what they list on line Honda only ships primered panels. They do not sell them painted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,
can someome post the link to website that carries quarter panels i have a prastice ones i need to change it metal so i could wrap it. thank you

1 - 20 of 24 Posts