Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys.
i'm in the market for a new vehicle.
i live in BC, so we get quite a bit of rain, and a fair share of snow.
i was looking at gettin an AWD Matrix, 4WD Honda Element, or a FWD Scion XB with snow tires.
now the scion is the best on gas and lightest.. im lookin for gas mileage.
what do you think would be best for wet weather and a bit of snow.
what should i look into.

thanks alot
Dom08:cool:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
All three are direct competitors. If milage is your main concern then your decision appears to be made. If you require other traits then you may have to spend a couple of days testing.

Welcome to the zoo BTW good hunting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All three are direct competitors. If milage is your main concern then your decision appears to be made. If you require other traits then you may have to spend a couple of days testing.

Welcome to the zoo BTW good hunting.
thanks alot :evil:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Brawsie was not trying to be a wise Guy.

He is in fact correct! The cars that you have chosen are all good! The Scion will have the best mileage.

The others offer very different characteristics from each other. The Element offers more room in the car itself. A bunch of seating configurations, and a magnificent support group! :)

It was the first choice of almost 30,000 people that belong to this site. I think you will find that the opinions here, are somewhat biased, in the Elements direction.

After all, we have looked at the others, and formed an opinion, on the one that will serve our needs the best. Our choice was obvious !! :D

We have been reading the forum for some time and realize that the reasons or obtaining an E are As varied as the people that get them. For one it's a dogmobile, another it's dorm room on wheels.

For me and the wife ( we each have our own ) it's the space, comfort, and fun of driving. Not to mention the grip in snow.

Give them all a try. You have nothing to loose! See for yourself if one just fits your lifestyle. It's fun to test drive them. Just don't get sucked in by a fast talking salesmen, before you have tried them all.

Keep us posted!

Dom

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm with Dom, test drive each one to see what suits you. I've tried the Matrix (friend owns the previous gen model) and xB. I don't know if they change the recommended fuel, but last time I read the Matrix needs 91 octane so this might be a drawback for this vehicle. xB (old and new) - not enough room for stuff I haul. The E fit it just fine, but that's just me. Test drive and judge for yourself, you'll come to a decision.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have a Matrix and an Element. If you get the Matrix with the 1.8 litre engine it takes regular fuel and gets very good mileage. It is not as versatile as the Element however and much smaller in terms of interior space. I use the Matrix as my around town car and use the Element on longer trips and as my snowboard vehicle.

Where are you in B.C.? You say you get a lot of rain so I assume you are on the coast. Unless you go into the interior lots (or skiing in the mountains) a FWD car with good tires is probably all you will need unless you need the carrying capacity. The Matrix is a lot cheaper than the Element in Canada as well. Scions are grey market vehicles in Canada so warranty and service might be an issue.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Glad I could help.:-|

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I'll somewhat echo the above sentiments. The xB will get the best mileage (at least 1st gen), the Matrix is useful but somewhat limited, and the Element will be by far the most flexible and best for snow/offroad with the added ground clearance.

As Brawsie said, if you're only looking for mileage your choice is already made for the xB. If you're looking for middle of the road, the Matrix is a good vehicle but it's pretty low to the ground and from driving my brother's I'd say it doesn't handle the greatest in the winter. Obviously yes we're gonna be a bit biased toward the Element here but it really depends on your priorities as to what's the best model for you. Do you haul a lot of stuff? Do you have large dogs? Do you go off the beaten path?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a Vibe (which is essentially the same as a Matrix) but the FWD version. Didn't like how it handled in the winter. May have been helped by the benefit of better tires and or AWD version (which when I bought my 07 Vibe wasn't an option).

For my taste for winter I felt more comfortable giving up the mileage benefit for the extra room, clearance to the ground in the snow and AWD of the E.

Can't comment on the Scion, never drove one and don't know much about it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, thanks alot guys.
that cleared alot of things up for me.
i think ill kick the scion out, it is too low for what i do, it would be good if i lived downtown or something.

i live in Vancouver BC.

i am looking for a used car, prob an 05-06.

so what do i do.... i dont have dogs... ill mountain bike sometimes, i paintball, i dont need to haul anything.
i dont really do much with the cars.
right now i have a 99 Jimmy 4x4. and all i really do is drive... but come wet weather and snow i dont want to stay home..

Dom:oops:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I used to be a car luddite, just wanted something to get me from A to B same as you describe. Then I got me an Element :D

Your mountain bike will fit in the back just fine with the seats flipped up (which BTW takes about 10 seconds). Your paintball stuff will all stow easily in the back. Don't need to worry about mud and slush getting in the carpeting in the winter, just vacuum and mop and it's good as new! Honestly it's amazing the stuff you'll find yourself doing with it just because it's such a flexible vehicle. :D

As I said, we may be a WEE bit biased...:rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no no no
you guys are the best.
ive joined the scion and toyota forums and they are all like no no get this.
u guys are truthful.
and seriously, you guys have gorgeous elements.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
But hey there's gotta be some rotten apples in every crate :D :evil:
Hey Twi thanks for mentioning me!

dom08,

I would (at risk of getting lynched by the locals) probably opt for the Matrix AWD, if I were you, for a few reasons.

1. You said you don't have a lot of crap to haul around so the cavernous Element would be a waste of space.
2. You are looking for good mpg and the Element will likely be a disappointment.
3. The Matrix is far more capable in snow and rain than the Xb and it handles sportier than either box.

But, on the other hand GET THE ELEMENT and you will transcend all space and time, impress all your friends, and have so much fun with your new pals here on the EOC you might need therapy!:D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
As I said, we may be a WEE bit biased...:rolleyes:
Us? Noooooooooooooo . . . :rolleyes:

As long as you ruled out the wrong box (xb), you'll be fine! :razz:

Seriously, good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hello from Vancouver! I have no idea what would best for you but the ones offering advise should know that it's raining here 80% of the time. There's lots of outdoorsy recreation here. If you're in to that, the Element is great for hauling dirty and wet gear like bicycles. See http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32429

And as far as snow goes. When it comes, which may be once or twice a year, the roads get really, really slick.

Dom08, I hope you make the right choice, whatever it is.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2005 Element and my wife has a 2005 Scion xB. The Scion doesn't have the flexible cargo capacity, but still has a lot more room than a car of it's size should. It gets much better gas mileage than my Honda. 32 in town, guessing 35 or better on the highway. I get 20/23 with my E. They both have huge back seats, important if you carry passengers or otherwise utilize a back seat! :D
Both cars are good in the snow and rain. The xB has traction control and electronic stability control. Both have ABS and satellite radio (a priority for me!).
If you are driving gravel and dirt roads, I'd get the E. Around town, unless you need the carrying capacity, I'd get the xB. On the highway, well, the E has more power but worse mileage.
The Scion will cost less to purchase. It was about $15K new, the E was $20K.
They should both be ridiculously reliable. I hope! So far they have been.
I like them both. Prefer the xB in town, and the E on the highway.

·
Registered
344 Posts
what do you think would be best for wet weather and a bit of snow.
what should i look into.
Any car with FWD or AWD and snow tires. If you're springing for AWD, make fulltime system like a manual trans Subaru or an Audi with torsen Quattro. Although, any FWD with a good set of snow tires will suit you just fine.

I wouldn't look twice at a current Matrix or xB. Especially if you're looking for MPG (err, MPL, or LPH or whatever you people up in Canuckistan measure by). I would, however, take a long, hard look at the last gen versions of both.

Then I'd buy a last gen Pontiac Vibe. Its a badge engineered Matrix, with all the benefits of Toyota ownership and the residual value of a Pontiac. Win all the way around!

Of course, this is an Element site...so, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you its an awesomely convienent car with awesome interior space available in many different ways to the cool trick seats, and a washable rubbermaid interior with stain resistant seats. Its damned handy in the snow, as well.

Oh, and if you're considering the Element, think about the Jeep Patriot..with Chrysler trashing about, their dealers are desperate move metal and are willing to cut killer deals.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hahaha
there is someone from van here!

as well as the roads do get slushy.

hows your element?

thanks alot for the help guys.

you guys are great.

the honda is still good on gas, its not as bad as my stupid jimmy. (god that thing is a PIG).

i do have a weekend car for when it is nice.
my grandpa gave me and my brother his 1984 ferrari 308. Its an awesome car... so thats y i was looking into a truck, cuz i already have a car.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts