Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not sure what to ask. I will need to pay for my own health benefits for the next six months until my benefits kick in at work. I have never had to buy heath benefits before and I am not really sure where to look. Do I call a broker or do I contact blue cross/blue shield directly? I don't even know who would be a reputable company to call. The only places I have found is Kaiser online and it looks like it will be around $200 a month. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Lots of national health care providers offer individual plans--Kaiser, Aetna. They are expensive. You might see if the provider that your employer has an individual (non-group plan) that you can take advantage of.

Also, peruse the net: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Alliance?allid=Goo25151&sid=CORE

Good luck. -g

P.S. Mid-Atlantic Kaiser is horrible. About 10 years ago, Kaiser in California had a decent rep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the reply.

I never really need to go to the dr's office. I am just looking for something that will protect me in case I need a serious trip to the OR.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
ehealthinsurance.com is absolutely horrible, at least when I tried to use them while living in California. You go through a rather invasive application process, and then if you are denied by your selected insurer (if you're over 35, you will be denied), you can forget applying with anybody else. This is because ehealthinsurance passes the denial information along in a master database. You have no recourse - by applying through them, in one of the endless click-to-accept buttons along the way you've (apparently) waived your HIPAA rights.

Now that I have that rant off my chest... :x

Find an independent insurance broker and ask for "bridge" health insurance. These policies are time-limited, inexpensive and specifically for people in your position.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I am under 35 and I will call around tomorrow. I knew that there were people out there that have been thru this.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Years ago while between job I need insurance I talk to State Farm they had my car insurance. I got a catastrophe insurance 5000 deductable I think it was 75.00 per quarter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I am looking for. I will try there too, thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A66, I know that Kaiser Permanente sucks the big one, but do they have some sort of bridge policy?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, if someone offered me health insurance for $200 a month, I would JUMP on it!! Honestly, that is a good price - depending on the actual coverage that comes along with the low premium. As others have suggested, you can check with the Statefarm agencies - they offer a health insurance plan geared just for your type of situation.

BB

electra

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
electrawebb
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing