Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had my 2009 Element EX (4WD) for about 3 weeks now, and this past Friday my check engine light went on. (Actually, it was the emission control failure light.) They said that it could be due to a loose gas cap, but I always make sure that it's tight. But more importantly, I've noticed that my gas mileage has decreased substantially since I've had the truck. I've filled my gas tank about 3 times so far, and each time I noticed that I had averaged about 120 miles per HALF tank of gas. That's horrible! Obviously, there's something not right. I'm praying that it's not a Lemon!
So I took it to the dealer this morning and they said they found out what was causing the light to come on, but they couldn't find out what was causing my gas mileage to suck. The dealer wants me to run the tank from full to empty to track how many miles I get per tank. My question to you guys is, "How many miles do you average per full tank of gas?" Please also state whether it's mostly city or highway or both. Btw, I have a 4WD Automatic. Thanks in advance for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I hate to say it but that sounds like your gas mileage is just about right. If you're buying gas when the gauge says about half empty, you're buying what, 7 gallons? 17-18 mpg is pretty average for a new E during the break in for city driving, especially if you're not a light footed driver. It'll get better (practically all at once) somewhere between 2500-3000 miles - and don't ask me why it jumps up so quickly because I don't know either, but I had the same complaint and mine did the same thing. I think it was getting at worst about 15.5mpg and best, around 17.5 in town and I was upset too until somebody else here told me about the sudden jump coming up later.

BTW, I'm doing 20-21 normally in town now and 27-28 on the highway. It's the first vehicle I've ever had in my life that bettered the MPG estimate on the window.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't panic. I have a MT and my average since new is between 20-26mpg per tank. My average is actually 22.3MPG. My driving is 70% city, 30hw. At first Mileage is a bit low. My biggest want for my next E will be better mileage. But, my MPG average and range is right on with the rating on the sticker when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
yup thats it....19 in city, 22.75-26mpg on highway :lol: remeber it is a box !

·
Registered
550 Posts
Someone has to say it; divide the miles driven by gallons used to get mpg. Guages are not that accurate. I get around 200 miles when the guage is at 1/2. I average around 25 mpg in suburbia in the the summer, a few less in the winter. Your mpg will get better as the car breaks in.
se

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Someone has to say it; divide the miles driven by gallons used to get mpg. Guages are not that accurate.
Yes. Please... do the math.
Judging your mileage via the gas-guage is like trying to tell exactly how much money is in your wallet by holding it (closed), to your forehead. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your feedback. I'll do the math and keep you posted after a few tanks. I'll try not to worry about it for now......:cool:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My results with mpg

I would agree that the dealer is correct about the gas cap, however continue to notate when it comes on, if it does again that is. If you have the gas jockey pump the gas like my wife does, they NEVER turn it completely. She always has to remind them to turn it 2 more times. As far as the mpg, many factors affect it. Air cond, heating, 3rd party acc, believe it or not. driving style, acceleration and braking. I live on the stop sign and traffic light capital, Long Island NY. I average about 18-20mpg in the city. Don't really drive hwy much. I don't understand how some people claim to get 22-24 in the city. Even the little woman doesn't get that high and her feet are so light its like she walks on 2 clouds.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The gas cap issue can be avoided by continuing to rotate/click the gas cap 1-3 times after it's "tight". The clicking is normal and doesn't mean you are breaking it. It's my OCD way of making sure its always tight.

Gas mileage is something that if you searched this site you will find plenty of discussion about. My personal opinion is even though the gas mileage isn't GREAT on an Element, it would almost be a non issue if they would have put a bigger tank in the car. To get less than 300 miles between fill ups on average is sort of a shame. Yeah, I can fill up my car for $30-45 (depending on gas prices lol) but sometimes I'd rather have to put more gas in to not have to fill up as often. I average about 22-23mpg mixed driving on a MT.
My .02

Brian

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you have the gas jockey pump the gas like my wife does, they NEVER turn it completely. .
the OP is from New Jersey. Isnt that a state where the gas station guys are required to pump your gas? so it could be a less than three clicks indicator...

·
Registered
244 Posts
NJ gas stations

Yes, we don't have self serve here. I always pump my own anyway, and no one seems to care enough to stop me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts