Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't Know what to do. Signed "Vehicle Order" Weds July 21 for 2010 Element. They ran credit check. I left $200 dep. on my AmEx.

They didnt have one on lot so said would getfrom sister store and I could pick up Saturday (yesterday) Also would have my spoiler installed.

Car had a scratch in shape of half circle on pass. rear door...manager took it round back to service to buff out but when returned still can see remnant of scratch. We agreed for him to send to his bodyshop (about an hour away from dealer) for scratch to be wet buffed and he promises to remedy situation. I am to pick up this Weds. WHAT IS MY RECOURSE IF I STILL SEE SCRATCH ??? Can I back out of "Vehicle Order" ? They already put the spoiler on, can I force them to get me another Element ?

Also, if I do take delivery how do I get documentation of what body shop did to car ? Will this be covered down the road by Honda warranty ??

Thanks...PLEASE HELP BEFORE WEDNESDAY JULY 28 !!!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't Know what to do. Signed "Vehicle Order" Weds July 21 for 2010 Element. They ran credit check. I left $200 dep. on my AmEx.

They didnt have one on lot so said would getfrom sister store and I could pick up Saturday (yesterday) Also would have my spoiler installed.

Car had a scratch in shape of half circle on pass. rear door...manager took it round back to service to buff out but when returned still can see remnant of scratch. We agreed for him to send to his bodyshop (about an hour away from dealer) for scratch to be wet buffed and he promises to remedy situation. I am to pick up this Weds. WHAT IS MY RECOURSE IF I STILL SEE SCRATCH ??? Can I back out of "Vehicle Order" ? They already put the spoiler on, can I force them to get me another Element ?

Also, if I do take delivery how do I get documentation of what body shop did to car ? Will this be covered down the road by Honda warranty ??

Thanks...PLEASE HELP BEFORE WEDNESDAY JULY 28 !!!!!!

Frank
if you are still not happy, make them fix it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you just put a deposit of $200 down and the scratch is still there tell them to A. Fix it B. Get another car from the dealer.

My sister has ordered a Toyota Highlander and a week later is when the crap hit the fan. They said to the dealer we don't want it and the dealer said that they would have to wait for the truck to come in and for them to sell the car they ordered first and then they will give the deposit back. They did!

I would give them a chance to fix it. If they fail you should not have to take delivery of that truck that has never left the lot.. The scratch is their fault not yours. They can't force you to take it. Its damaged. If you don't take it they can print a new sticker with the spoiler on it as an accessory.

Also, if I do take delivery how do I get documentation of what body shop did to car ?

What would it matter if its fixed? You should just ask for it.

Will this be covered down the road by Honda warranty ??

Its there issue not yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I need documentation of what was done so that in the future if paint or clearcoat problem (from them buffing the &*!!!? out of it) I will have proof that problem stemmed from dealer fix. I imagine after they wet buff it it will take the paint coating down alot (coating is very thin on a car to begin with).

Shame, it looked awesome with spoiler on and polished metal color is beautiful but the more I think about it the more pissed I get that they A.) took delivery from other dealer and then B.) prepped car C.) called me to come get car....................with obvious scratches on door. Seems kinda shady to me that they didnt catch it themselves and let me know...

I think I will definately call off the sale if I dont get guarantee in writing that paint or clear coat on door will be covered from future problems stemming from THEIR repair of scratches.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We had the same problem when we took delivery of ours.
Ended up having to paint the door. I wouldn't accept anything less...and they had to provide a loaner while it was in their body shop for 2 weeks

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree 100% with mr.vance.....that entire door will be painted before i took delivery of that car...good luck to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get documentation or at least a guarantee that door paint job by dealer will be covered in case of problem ?

Also, doesn't the repaint go into carfax record so when you resell potential buyers will be put off a little ?

I'm thinking about cancelling if they come back and tell me they need to repaint entire door...it may even wear different since paint on rest of car is probably a year old already (end of 2010 model year).

The are supposedly having their bodyshop "wet buff" the scratch out,which I think might comprimise the paint/clear coat finish in that area of the car.

I cant believe my first experience buy a brand new car is turning into such a nightmare.

Thanks for all your advice so far !!

Frank

·
Registered
816 Posts
frank,,if they paint the full door..the paint will match the whole car,,as far as the carfax,,i dont think it goes on it,,but maybe someone else knows more about that then me.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I made the dealer repaint the hood on a 2002 Focus I purchased new. They got the car from a dealer 250 miles away and drove it up. Car arrived with numerous deep scratches on the hood which looked to be from some [email protected]@ sitting on it. Dealer first buffed it out-which made it look worse. They had to give me a loaner for three days too.

As for the CARFAX mentioned in a previous reply- nothing under $3,500 in accident damage will be reported, and no 'pre-delivery' repairs- which is what the dealer will write your paint issue up as- appear on the CARFAX.

P.S. -CARFAX and Experian's AutoCheck are more useful for spotting title and lien issues than accident damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just thought of another concern that may be even more important:

Aren't new cars supposed to be "broken in" ? Not driven at highway speeds back and forth to repair shops ?

Car was already driven from other dealership 30 miles now they are driving it to body shop which is 38 miles one way and 38 on way back.

Am I being too nitpicky ? This is my first brand new car purchase at the age of 45 !

Thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Shame, it looked awesome with spoiler on and polished metal color is beautiful but the more I think about it the more pissed I get that they A.) took delivery from other dealer and then B.) prepped car C.) called me to come get car....................with obvious scratches on door. Seems kinda shady to me that they didnt catch it themselves and let me know...
Good eye to catch it! You never know they could not have noticed OR they could have hoped you would miss it. If you took delivery they would have been off the hook for the repair. You should have the full factory warranty on the car. I kicked mine out to the 7 year BB. As long as its just the clear coat you should be in good shape. As for carfax the car has not been sold to you yet so its still a new Honda.

Congrats on the new baby! Your going to have fun here on the site. Great source and great people that can help you get answers. I too would want my new truck to be perfect but after getting cut off and t-boning an F=150 and having $7000 in damage to my 3 month old brand new 08! See Link!

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52451

My parking lot scratches just make me roll my eyes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry about your mishap ! Thanks for advice.

Do you think I should be concerned about all the mileage being put on car back an forth to repair shop ?....heck I dont even know what the mileage was to begin with...signed a "Vehicle Order" form and got credit approval b4 I even saw actual car. I assumed they would just locate an "undamaged" NEW 2010 Element and I would live happily ever after.

·
Registered
524 Posts
IMO - the mileage matters not. In Honda's eyes - your warranty starts from the first mile you put on it. They know people demo a car - sometimes a car can get demo'd several times before someone buys it - and they do not hold this against the end buyer.

So if your finance paperwork states 87 miles, or 587 miles - your warranty goes to 36087 or 36587. Just look at the paperwork before you sign.

- For the scratch, if you can't see it, than fine - you can ask for a note to be put on the paperwork saying they warranty the scratch area as well, but it'd be a dealership warranty not a Honda one.

- If you're not satisfied with the scratch repair - have them fix it again - until until you take delivery - you are not liable to buy the car, and you can fight the dealer for your deposit (which you will have to do). the only thing that would nullify this is if you sign a piece of paper that said the deposit was non-refundable somewhere on it.

- If you take delivery and are not yet satisfied with the scratch, have the dealer sign a - promise to fix within 30 days - note. (would not be my first choice).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But arent you supposed to drive under a certain MPH fro a while in a brand new car to break it in ? I'm sure the mechanics are probably running this car all around, up and down parkway at high speeds to go to and from bodyshop. (shop is 40 miles one way from dealership.)

But thanks...what you said makes sense...The scratch is not as obvious after they did what ever they did at dealership. Maybe I should just take care with promise to fix scratch if it pops up worse in future and ask for $500 or $1000 off price.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The scratch is not as obvious after they did what ever they did at dealership. Maybe I should just take care with promise to fix scratch if it pops up worse in future and ask for $500 or $1000 off price.
This option makes sense to me, as your car WILL pick up nicks, fine scratches and the dreaded door dings along the road of ownership.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am very picky with my cars, so yes the scratch at delivery would bother me. If this was me here is what I would do. If they deliver the car back and the scratch has been buffed out just buy the car, it will be fine. Yes there is a break-in procedure, but the E is not a high performance vehicle. I highly doubt anyone is doing anything to it that would cause any issues. If you can still see the scratch then tell them you want a different E or the deal is off. I would not let them repaint the area.

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT take delivery unless the issue is fixed to your liking. Once you pass that delivery point the fight to get things resolved will be a lot harder. Deal with the issue before delivery it will make you life much better!!! The dealership will be more responsive that way. Also, they will usually not bargain with pricing they will offer to buff or paint it, since it is easier for them to eat labor.

John

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
7 years later, I have not had a single issue with the re-painted door. Enev when I mention it to ppl, they can't tell the difference. I had it in to one of those dent repair places, and they couldn't even see a difference.

As far as warranty issues goes, it's all covered anyway...so if you see a problem, within the warranty period, just take it in, and tell them to re-do it. Paint and finish are covered under the first year anyway...

fwiw the break-in procedures of babying a vehicle are pretty much a thing of the past...the vehicle is engineered to operate from day one. Highway driving isn't going to effect it that greatly anyway...but again, you will still have full warranty coverage anyway....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for advice....I am becoming like a little kid the night b4 christmas....I am going tomorrow to check out repair and I will probably not leave with out my cool looking Element...as long as they give me a written guarantee on the repair to door.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're having doubts now, then you'll probably be kicking yourself if you go through with the deal. Just tell them the vehicle is not acceptable and if they don't want to give your deposit back, walk away and file a dispute with the credit card company. Almost all card disputes are settled in the card holder's favor. Then go where there's a vehicle like you want in stock on the lot where you can look at it before you buy it.

I wouldn't take that one unless they are willing to knock a bunch off the price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think i'll take car today if scratch is invisible & they give me written guarantee on repair. I probably cant get any money out of it because I really worked them over for price....less than invoice minus the $460 holdback. Maybe they will throw something in for my troubles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts