Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to me 2005 Honda Element. I have filled the tank twice and had the same thing happen. P0325 kicks on the CEL after a fill up.

When I say fill the tank, I put nearly 15 gallons into the 16 gallon tank and it showed over the "F" full mark on the dash gauge. That was the first tank of gas I purchased for the car and the CEL was on before I drove the first mile.

After driving about 100 miles, I reset the CEL with my scan tool and the code never returned. Ran that tank down to ~1/8th of a tank remaining.

Today I refueled my "new" 2005 the Element with 13 gallons (306 miles, ~23.5mpg), second tank of gas I ever put in car. Showed over the "F" mark on the gauge as before. I got another gallon into the tank after the first "click" from the pump. Six miles later, the CEL P0325 returned. Two tanks filled, two CEL PO325.

My scan tool is a USB device that is read by my Android phone bluetooth using "Torque Lite" app. Certainly a possibility that it is showing the wrong code. As I'm suspicious of the Evap System. Check Valve, something like that. Anyone else ever see this code from this set of circumstances?

2005 Honda Element LX 5sp, manual, Front wheel drive, 162,500 miles

·
Registered
151 Posts
Being that the code pertains to the knock sensor, have you inspected it yet? Are you making sure the gas cap is tightened to 3 clicks as suggested by the manual?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, have not inspected the knock sensor. I don't believe it to be the problem. Maybe I need a better code reader.

Thing is that the trigger to the CEL is a full tank. Can be cleared after a few gallons are gone. Comes on immediately after the next time the tank is filled.

The gas cap is properly installed.

Nothing to do with a knock sensor situation on the face of it.
Frankly, I'd love for it to be the knock sensor, <$30 bucks and done, just like this video...

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
579 Posts
I got another gallon into the tank after the first "click" from the pump. Six miles later, the CEL P0325 returned.
First thing to try is to just take the 'click' on the next fill, don't top up. In general that seems to work best with the E's evap canister system for me. Costs nothing... And report back:|

·
12,178 Posts
If you Google P0325 after filling file tank a good number of results come up for various vehicles.

If you ignore the knock sensor and chase a leak that may not be there in the evap system....

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
You need to diagnose the knock sensor circuit. Most likley a wire or connection problem. I don't see how filling the tank could trigger a fault to set that code.

One thing for sure is. Overfilling the tank by forcing more fuel after the first click has the risk of liquid fuel (not vapor) getting into the charcoal canister. There needs to be an air space for expansion in the tank. This apply's to all vehicles. I've witnessed it many times at my work. Replacing the canister is the usual repair.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the 0325 CEL self-cancelled after being parked overnight. Don't remember a car ever fixing itself and don't believe that happens.

There were about 14 miles on the tank of gas after the fill. Today two good Honda mechanics that I know at an independent shop that I've used for years take a close look at the knock sensor. The knock sensor appears normal and there are no loose wires or connections.

(We were also installing a set of KYB GR2's and new KYB mounts, to replace the 160k miles OEM blown shocks and squirmy mounts. yeah!!)

Next tank I'm stopping early, way early, like at 9g when it read 1/8th tank. Guarantee no CEL. After that, I'll fill it toward 13g and I'll bet I get the 0325 again. tbd.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So the 0325 CEL self-cancelled after being parked overnight. Don't remember a car ever fixing itself and don't believe that happens.
The CEL will go out if the fault goes away but it is still stored. Your tank isn't full anymore right?

I don't think it's your knock sensor. Something else is going on to cause the knock sensor issue the code be it the fuel pump or evap system having an issue with the full tank.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
The CEL will go out if the fault goes away but it is still stored. Your tank isn't full anymore right?

I don't think it's your knock sensor. Something else is going on to cause the knock sensor issue the code be it the fuel pump or evap system having an issue with the full tank.
The overfilled tank. He is adding more after the first click.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
When the light comes on I reset the 2nd trip odo and drive another 50 miles. Usually takes 14.5 gallons at fill up with 1 click. Most it ever took was 15.2

Close enough to empty for me!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just competeted a ~2,000 mile road trip with the Element. Plenty of opportunity to fill the tank. The CEL P0325 was a staple of all but one fill up. Didn't seem to matter how much went into the tank. Even when stopped at the first "click-off". No top-off.

In every case, the P0325 CEL could be cleared within 10-50 miles and never returned till the next fill.

One time, the low fuel light came on as I entered the station, got ~11.2 gallons and 263 miles on that tank (four adults, luggage, air conditioning, ~70mph on I-5, mountain pass terrain toward Washington state). Got the CEL as Element re-entered the highway.

The other fills were in the range of 10 or less gallons, getting between 23-26 mpg. Bugs me that the fuel gauge is showing in the empty zone, I only put in ~10 or less gallons and its full, with a 16 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If you don't have any other codes, and are always doing this with the same load of cargo and occupants, the consistency under specific mechanical conditions, adding weight to the vehicle, suggests a pinched or stretched wiring harness.

The weight of the full fuel tank could be causing a partial short to change resistance.

Not having the electrical service manual handy, The easiest things to check are the harnesses of the fuel pump and EVAP container for any signs of damage.

Only after that would I look at the knock sensor.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
One other question. You say it happens every time you take off the cap, fill the tank, and replace the cap. What happens if you take the cap off and replace it WITHOUT putting in more fuel?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the fill vs CEL and the knock sensor code. However, it's intermittent and not just limited to fill-ups. It does however happen at almost every fill, every time. I live in Oregon so I'm not able to pump my own gas but I have noticed the attendants stop at the first click. I also recently had the starter replaced as well as the airbag recall work done. These all seem to be common denominators in the knock sensor code. But maybe they are all coincidence as our E's reach a certain age and mileage. I just rolled over 170k. Joining the conversation to see where it leads.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
Since this was from last summer, I doubt we will hear back from the OP.

The majority of the problem type posts never have an ending. Very frustrating esp if you have given advice for the repair.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since this was from last summer, I doubt we will hear back from the OP.

The majority of the problem type posts never have an ending. Very frustrating esp if you have given advice for the repair.
I was wondering myself if more of the folks who have replaced the sensor have had issues since. It looks like some have and some haven't. I'm hoping to revive a few of these posts by tagging along.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
So far I've had no CEL. If it were mine the first thing I would try is adding dielectric lubricant to the Knock sensor electrical terminal. This is not to be confused with dielectric grease. The lubricant is used to prevent terminal "fretting" that leads to a bad electrical connection. This is what we use at work. I have fixed a lot of mystery problems with it.

As for the OP problem being related to filling the tank, makes no sense to me.

link to the lube. Delco #10-4071 Should be able to find it locally.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192064474641?chn=ps

link to fretting.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech-tip-so-what-s-this-fretting-corrosion-stuff-anyway/

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far I've had no CEL. If it were mine the first thing I would try is adding dielectric lubricant to the Knock sensor electrical terminal. This is not to be confused with dielectric grease. The lubricant is used to prevent terminal "fretting" that leads to a bad electrical connection. This is what we use at work. I have fixed a lot of mystery problems with it.

As for the OP problem being related to filling the tank, makes no sense to me.

link to the lube. Delco #10-4071 Should be able to find it locally.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192064474641?chn=ps
Thanks for the tip. I'm certainly willing to try it, if I can figure out how to get to the darn thing. I don't see how in the world the tank filling could be related but it's happened so many times I actually replaced my gas cap, hoping that might be the common thread. No such luck. Thanks again for the tip on the lubricant.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts