Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm certainly willing to try it, if I can figure out how to get to the darn thing. I don't see how in the world the tank filling could be related but it's happened so many times I actually replaced my gas cap, hoping that might be the common thread. No such luck. Thanks again for the tip on the lubricant.
The only wild guess I could think of, maybe the ECM runs a knock sensor test after filling the tank to test the knock point of the fuel. Of course this only a guess, and there is nothing in the service manual description and operation. I do know that GM used to run a knock sensor check on every start up.

good luck with the lube. Post back in a few months if it stayed fixed.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The only wild guess I could think of, maybe the ECM runs a knock sensor test after filling the tank to test the knock point of the fuel. Of course this only a guess, and there is nothing in the service manual description and operation. I do know that GM used to run a knock sensor check on every start up.

good luck with the lube. Post back in a few months if it stayed fixed.
I'm confused on how the ecm would even know when the tank was filled or partially filled. Startup I understand and on a lean burn engine, it makes sense, but fillup?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
ECM monitors fuel level for evaporative emission testing. All part of OBD II compliance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm in the same boat with the fill vs CEL and the knock sensor code. However, it's intermittent and not just limited to fill-ups. It does however happen at almost every fill, every time. I live in Oregon so I'm not able to pump my own gas but I have noticed the attendants stop at the first click. I also recently had the starter replaced as well as the airbag recall work done. These all seem to be common denominators in the knock sensor code. But maybe they are all coincidence as our E's reach a certain age and mileage. I just rolled over 170k. Joining the conversation to see where it leads.
My mileage is nearly identical to yours. I've not attempted repairs as I've had other priorities. The latest twist is a complete failure of the gas gauge. The tank reads empty at all times. There was a mention of the wiring harness. I am beginning to wonder about this. I know that the cat was stolen from the vehicle, cut out. Perhaps there is damage to the wiring.

Since this was from last summer, I doubt we will hear back from the OP.

The majority of the problem type posts never have an ending. Very frustrating esp if you have given advice for the repair.
Don't see your advice specific to me after I posted. I haven't had anything further to add. My problem remains, I have not done any work on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My latest update: CEL went off after half tank as usual. Didn't run it down to the gas light but close. No CEL after a fill-up yesterday so I'm back to thinking it's just random. I guess I'll try to jam my fat hands up in there one day soon and try to get to it. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm determined to revive this thread because the tank fill issue vs Knock Sensor code is still consistent however, it is now in reverse. I run with the CEL until my next fill every single time. But the mystery doesn't end there. It usually doesn't reset until AFTER the 2-3rd start since filling. I get anywhere from 30 -90 miles of CEL free driving then it's back on until tank is empty and I fill again. I can always tell when the light has kicked on as I feel an actual shudder. The same is true for when it clears itself out of nowhere. It's not the light itself that bothers me as much as the definite loss of power when it happens. It's not as drastic as limp mode, but now that summer is here and the a/c is on full-time in Texas, I need every bit of horsepower available to hop on the highway. I'm now at 225k and it has been a consistent issue since my first post 2 years ago. The only difference now is I know how to time the code clearing when it's time for inspection.

Anyone else still in this situation?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I ran the car without an loss of power, just CEL. About two months ago I replaced the knock sensor and the harness. That ended the CEL. At this point i'd recommend replacing both and should have done so sooner. I have no friggen idea why that CEL was coming on with fuel fills and never will.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ran the car without an loss of power, just CEL. About two months ago I replaced the knock sensor and the harness. That ended the CEL. At this point i'd recommend replacing both and should have done so sooner. I have no friggen idea why that CEL was coming on with fuel fills and never will.
I don't know why I haven't replaced it by now but thanks for the heads up on the harness. It's a mystery I'll gladly forget about if the sensor / harness solves the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't know why I haven't replaced it by now but thanks for the heads up on the harness. It's a mystery I'll gladly forget about if the sensor / harness solves the issue. Thanks!
I waited more than a year. should not have, but it only mattered once I had to get a CA smog cert.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,636 Posts
Thanks for the update guys. I'm convinced the ECM runs a check on the knock sensor after a full tank. Maybe to verify the octane of the full tank. I know for sure GM did a check every start up, they advanced the timing to see if the sensor detected pinging. The 2007 service manual makes no mention of this, only a guess on my part. But it sure makes sense to me.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts