Honda Element Owners Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
MAKE IT STOP!!!! I've never heard such craziness in my life. Someone complains about a pretty obviously glaring badge, and suddenly it's a conspiracy theory. Stop proping him up then, each time you counter-post, it brings the thread to the top, thus giving it more life.

FWIW, Cloud-Rider doesn't bother me. As a devoted minion of Satan, I'm fully aware that most people wouldn't have a clue what "Cloud-Rider" means. The only people getting the inside meaning are already subverts of the Ignorant One.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You're probably right, looks like the Cloud Rider hexagonal holes are significantly bigger than the Coastal Metals product I'm used to.

On one small trip in the S2000 this past weekend, it caught 5 grasshoppers, 2 wasps, 1 thisle weed, and 1 dragonfly. Only very small bugs, and smallpieces of the bugs that hit the grill insert and broke up, make it to the condenser. (I should have taken pictures of the attrition, sorry!)

I don't even bother taking off the grill inserts to clean the condenser, the amount of material on it is so minimal, since I put the grill on more than a year ago.

[quote:a3162292f8="reedpc"]If you think that the slotted CloudRider lets in too much debris but it restricts airflow because the openings are too small, then wouldn't the hexagonal version let in more debris because the holes are bigger?[/quote:a3162292f8]

· Registered
16 Posts
Have to agree that the screen would look a whole lot cleaner with no added logo, the big H is centered and the cloud logo sort of hurts the symetry. 8)

· Registered
358 Posts
Yiikes. This is nuts. The end result, for me, I have had my slotted CloudRider on my E for about 3000 miles. All in New England summer hot 85 - 90 degree weather. Both heavy traffic and high speeds. The temp guage has not nearly even reached 50%. Please keep in mind that the owners manual states that 50% is where the temp guage should settle in at.

The slotted style has collected lots and lots of bugs also.

Next: What is all of this Bible talk???? I, for one, don't care if the name Cloud Rider was (or is) used in the Bible? Hell, I have a horned devil skull tattooed on my arm. This type of over analyzing makes me nuts. Suddenly this site has become a Bible study class.

I bought the grill guard, it performs well, looks great (in my opinon), does not seem to affect cooling and protects the grill. Lets not presume anything about the company's religious beliefs based on a name they chose for their company. Cloud Rider is a cool name. I like the product because it works well, and looks good.

I guess that if I don't like the topic, I could simply not read the thread. But that is too obvious and simple.

· Registered
960 Posts
I promised myself I would not get involved in this thread but for some reason I find myself typing this response... :roll:

1. The percieved "heat issue" is not a realistic one. Period. This grill simply does not alter engine cooling or airflow in any significant manner.

2. On the "religious issue" - I think that people are mostly referring to Cloud Rider's mission statement which can be found here. The name "Cloud Rider" also apparently has some religious connotation but I'm not sure what it is exactly. I personally could care less what my money goes towards just as long as nobody is funding terrorism, clubbing baby seals, or abusing kids. So there seems to be fair amount of nitpicking going on here.

3. With regard to the "logo" on the grill - there's a poll for people's preferences right here - and that's probably the best place to collaborate on a group opinion so I personally dont see any need to continue beating this dead horse any further here.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just remember the temperature gage on the dash measures water temperature only, it doesn't measure underhood temperatures, nor does it indicate how much the radiator fan is working to pull in air and keep the water cool. Under-hood temperatures can affect intake air temperature, battery temperature, etc without any gages on the dash being the wiser.

[quote:b10012ed5a="jayharley"]Both heavy traffic and high speeds. The temp guage has not nearly even reached 50%.[/quote:b10012ed5a]

· Registered
358 Posts
[quote:92b06d8217="Einstein"]Just remember the temperature gage on the dash measures water temperature only, it doesn't measure underhood temperatures, nor does it indicate how much the radiator fan is working to pull in air and keep the water cool. Under-hood temperatures can affect intake air temperature, battery temperature, etc without any gages on the dash[/quote:92b06d8217]

Yes but the temp guage does equate to similar situations as to how the system reacts with or without the grill guards. The radiatior fan turns on at a certain temp. I don't care if it is due to a grill guard or a trailer or sitting in traffic. The end result is that my temp guage has not yet hit the 50% mark, which is what Honda calls normal. I doubt if my fan is working overtime to keep the water temp well BELOW what Honda considers to be normal. I sincerly doubt if I am going to have any problem with battery temp or air intake temp. Air intake can effect power, and my E feels fine.

All of this is taking the fun out of owning an Element in the first place. Time to simply drive it, get it dirty, wash it now and then and trust Honda's reputation of quality. I am going to stop the worry and "paralysis thu analysis" and simply enjoy the vehicle. Adios.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Chances are pretty high you are right. But if a person has engine problems and wants to take their car in for warranty work, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to take it off, just in case the service manager feels otherwise.

I wanted to clarify that the temperature gage only measures coolant temperature at the sensor, nothing else under the hood. People should understand this fact: Although the temp gage on a car is the most important indicator of operating temperature, it's not a tell-all.

For instance, heat generated from an exhaust manifold is not dissipated by coolant, and there is no device measuring the temperature rise under the hood that it creates. If somebody removed the heat shield from their exhaust manifold, items under the hood could get cooked without the coolant gage moving at all.

Whether the temperature rises or not from the grill, we don't know at this time--and I have not postulated either. Perhaps the extra activity of the cooling fans reduces underhood temperatures!

Anybody interested in what's really going on under the hood could easily find out by placing an outdoor thermometer probe somewhere under the hood, like in the engine air intake pipe, on the battery, etc; before and after installing the grill inserts.

I promise I will do this after installing whatever grill inserts I end up getting, and share the results with everybody.

[quote:79c906717c="jayharley"]
I sincerly doubt if I am going to have any problem with battery temp or air intake temp. Air intake can effect power, and my E feels fine... I am going to stop the worry and "paralysis thu analysis" and simply enjoy the vehicle. Adios.[/quote:79c906717c]

· Registered
194 Posts
:? I'm looking into getting one of these, especially to cover the bottom grill, I've already got some rock dents on my radiator. I did'nt like the grill cover at all, until they came out with the new models. I too was concerned about the smaller slits in the Cloud Rider cover possibly restricting air flow. I'm looking at the larger hole(hex holes?)model in black. As for the logo,I'd rather they put it in a corner. I think it does stand out a little,especially on the silver models. My theory is that it won't show up as much on the black one. Some of these posts over this topic are really intense! Look at it like this, if ya don't like it ,don't buy it , do it yourself, or wait for someone else to build one. But I do think they could have put it in a less conspicuous place.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.