Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than 5+ other Element owners have reported an unresolved problem with rear window leaks around the seals in this club's postings. See (Under the hood), (Ask the Dealer) and others etc.... American Honda is designing a fix.. Who else has this problem??? You will need to feel the molding after it rains and look between the glass and the rubber inside the door before you respond. Thanks to all who participate

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think your over reacting. Yes there is some mointure there but it is contained between the rubber and the glass and at least an inch from any paited metal. It doesn't do any harm to the vehicle, its not a safety concern, so I dont see why some people are going apeshiit over it. If there is some new moulding coming out, then I would have it replaced but unitl I hear it from the horses mouth (Honda) then I am not too worried about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Black Elephant!
The water sometimes runs down my door panels after collecting at the top of both rubber seals and door panels. This happens not only when it is driven but just after sitting in the rain overnight! This is after repeated attempts by my dealer to repair both windows.
I guess maybe you are right? Maybe I am over reacting? Well, maybe in time, when it is not a $22,000 new leaky car, I can park it in my living room and use it as a $22,000 aquarium. Then I can start my own club!

:idea: THE HONDA ELEMENT AQUARIUM CLUB!!! :idea:

It kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think! The floors and the seats are somewhat waterproof!!! Would you like to be my first member? I'll let you design the Logo!!! How about me... holding my breath...looking out a rear door window of my new Honda Element Aquarium? What do you think?:D

Of course I am only kidding and I am sure you have a sense of humor. Please let's not minimize others concerns. American Honda is concerned enough to manufacture a redesign and have called me three times about this which is great customer service. I love my Black EX 4WD Element otherwise and enjoy this great club except for a few vulgar youngsters that for some reason are allow to post with this club.

At best, I hope I made you laugh. I appreciate your input, but my experiance and the experiance of others is often much different then the next guy's. All members should respect this and withold minimizing or unwarranted judgemental comments or criticism. The end result could be a reluctance in all members to post problems and we will all be in the dark as a result. Thanks and Atlanta is my favorite city in the South....Your lucky to live there!

·
Registered
90 Posts
went through a touchless car wash ie tons of water sprayed really hard to push dirt off! No leaks! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again VAK9girl,
For some reason based on other postings about rear window door leaks, it does not happen with pressure. Most likely because the pressure on the glass makes the window push in and creates a better seal in a car wash. Mine and other members windows seems to leak the most when our Elements are parked and it rains over night as did Simon's. As the seals dry with age, this will eventually become a problem for ALL Element owners by design. Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just had our first substantial rain in the Detroit area since getting my E.
Did not notice any water around the rear windows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No response or call from my dealer as of yet with a fix for this problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine leaks, both sides, one slightly worse than the other, but there's sufficient leakage on both sides for water to run down the inside of the doors and puddle on the floor. It happens in rain and doesn't leak at all when a pressure hose is used.

My dealer has looked at it, acknowledges it is a genuine problem that requires a fix, and wants me to book it in. I'm waiting for a bit to see what other issues arise so I can have everything looked at in one trip. Meantime, I coated the seals with vaseline to help the window seal better and it didn't leak in the last overnight rain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry no leaks and I live in Vancouver BC where it rains all the time. In fact I can leave the sun roof tilted open and not one drop of rain gets in. And there is no carpet to worry about.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I finally had the chance to wash the car and i have noticed that my driver side window leaks to my surprise. The leak starts where the "B" pillar suppose to be at. There is a thin rubber seal right where the front door and the back door meets where the "B" pillar meets. I guess the thin rubber seal cannot hold the outside water tight enough not to let the water drip down the side of the plastic panel. As i look at the top of the driver inside window, i can see the water residue all the way down to the door rubber seal :? I don't know if it leaks when it rains but i sure do know it leaks when i wash the car ???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi to all, My new rear "experimental" rear door window seals were installed last week. They are a new design and a new part number directly from American Honda. I was slow to bring my E in and the dealer service manager said that American Honda had called a few times and was irritated that I did not come in yet. The seals appear to be thicker and the seal seems much tighter. Since the previous seals only leaked when it rained, I have nothing to report because we have had only had sunshine in Connecticut since installation. Rain is coming by the end of the week here and I will report back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did anyone ever get the part number for the seals for the back door? My dealer acts like I don't know what I'm talking about. I would just like to have the info in case it starts to leak again. They have all ready worked on it once.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Same here Cindy. The first time i took it in, they took 1 day to fix it but it leaked again to a lessor degree. I took it in again and they had it for 10 days. I just got it back today and i hope everything is resolved. I have to go back tommorrow morning to get it detailed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts