Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 194 Posts
Could youplease send me a copy of your plans? I'd love a setup like this for myself! Also, what type & size of matress do you use?

Thanks,

Mark

markz at peoplepc dot com

personally I would prefer to put a futton matress on the back floor over using such a bulky matress... Then again the seats fold down plat enough to just put a sturdy matress on them.

[quote:77a5b4a1bf=" "]personally I would prefer to put a futton matress on the back floor over using such a bulky matress... Then again the seats fold down plat enough to just put a sturdy matress on them.[/quote:77a5b4a1bf]

Yeah, but you're missing the point. The frame/mattress idea frees up cargo space under the mattress for storing whatever necessities one needs for their trip. If you've got a futon mattress on the floor (or the seats folded flat) where are you going to put all of your stuff?

I'd love to see the plans posted here, since it seems there are a lot of interested Element owners. I'm thinking about driving cross-country on the mother of all roadtrips (Philadelphia to Vancouver, BC and back) and I **KNOW** the comfort, convenience, and added cargo space would definitely come in handy.

[quote:ed1a23dd43=" "]

Yeah, but you're missing the point. The frame/mattress idea frees up cargo space under the mattress for storing whatever necessities one needs for their trip. If you've got a futon mattress on the floor (or the seats folded flat) where are you going to put all of your stuff?[/quote:ed1a23dd43]

Hey, I was gonna say that! I agree! That is why I want this frame...to preserve storage space under the bed.

Good point. I must say that I agree on the cargo space issue.
By the way... What part of Philly are you from? Or are you from the suburbs in the city like king of prussia. My wifes family are from NE Philadelphia all three of four generations.

[quote:b515082be3=" "]What part of Philly are you from? Or are you from the suburbs in the city like king of prussia. My wifes family are from NE Philadelphia all three of four generations.[/quote:b515082be3]

I live ~ 15 mi north of Philadelphia in Montgomery County.

I have been working on my platform for some time now and have made a couple changes for the "better" or at least for my sleeping and storage situations in my 3 day camping excursions in the Shenandoah Natn'l Park. I was considering working with my girlfriend (graphics designer) to create step by step instructions on building a platform like this with multiple options (i.e. hanging dirty clothes/shoes basket on slides) for adapting the platform to one's needs.

It would be several pages and cover all aspects of building including exact supplies/measurements for cuts/optional tie downs etc. We've been debating doing this, but it is A LOT of work. We were thinking of printing it nicely and selling it for 3 bucks including regular shipping.

If it were successful enough, i would consider creating a kit that would include ALL supplies pre-cut and just require assembly and installation.

Looking to see if anyone here might be interested in either the plans, or even the kit before we spend two weeks creating an instruction manual. Are there enough interested E owners to bother?

Thanks in advance guys! I will be acquiring a digital camera shortly, and could possibly post pics in the next few weeks if there are enough parties interested.

Regards,
Jessee Wright

Totally interested!

-brendan

I would be interested depending on price...I would probably be more interested on the plans, as opposed to the kit. Unless the kit was very affordable...Thanks for the ideas and the effort!!!

Wow, its great to see three posts already. I spoke with Pamela and she's all for doing it. Shes going to use some program called "Quark" to create the graphics and digital pictures. She recommended creating a .PDF file as opposed to printing for those who want full color images, etc.

Looks like i will have to build a second platform to capture photographs of some of the steps (like how to make it a certain height for better storage of bins). Soo looks like I'll have one to sell in maybe 3 weeks, and have a way to figure out a price first. Man i'm such a dork, gettting excited already. :D

I'll try to get pics up ASAP...bear with me, i'm not the techie in the family. I know i'd have to see tons of pics before I'd consider it. Muuahahaha..it begins.

Have a great weekend all.

Jessee

[quote:b94d6b67b9=" "]Wow, its great to see three posts already. I spoke with Pamela and she's all for doing it. Shes going to use some program called "Quark" to create the graphics and digital pictures. She recommended creating a .PDF file as opposed to printing for those who want full color images, etc.

Looks like i will have to build a second platform to capture photographs of some of the steps (like how to make it a certain height for better storage of bins). Soo looks like I'll have one to sell in maybe 3 weeks, and have a way to figure out a price first. Man i'm such a dork, gettting excited already. :D

I'll try to get pics up ASAP...bear with me, i'm not the techie in the family. I know i'd have to see tons of pics before I'd consider it. Muuahahaha..it begins.

Have a great weekend all.

Jessee[/quote:b94d6b67b9]

Since this will probably be a big & heavy item, the shipping cost may be prohibitive to some. Where are you located?

I am in Burke, Virginia, 22015 basically right outside of Washington DC.
I think the frame (when broken down) will be able to be shipped via UPS ground or Via Parcel Post with the USPS.

Regards,
Jessee

21 - 40 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.