Honda Element Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
With RamblerDan's help, I just figured out how to load images. Here's my platform bed. I've cut the plywood section directly behind the front seats in two so one person can sleep while the other drives. The whole thing breaks down quickly and fits in a large stuff-sack. We travel with the back two sections installed. Four 11" tall Rubbermaid tubs hold our gear underneath. I move our cooler to the front passenger seat because we usually camp in grizzly country. We sleep on 2 Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe mats. Better than our bed at home and I use them for winter camping when I sleep outside.
http://www.altrec.com/exped/downmat-9-deluxe-sleeping-pad
:lol: This is awesome! Do you have the measurements for all these pipes? I would love to put one of these together. Also, I can't really tell from the pics, but in it's full set up, does it require the front seats to be pushed all the way forward? Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pookster's Platform

Lytepipe,
I'll measure this weekend. I do have it set up so when I put the last section in, the front seats need to be all the way forward. I'm 6'1" so I need all the room. One change I made is to cut the last section of plywood in half (parallel to the direction of travel) so I can have the full length set up just behind the passenger seat if I wish. That way one can sleep and one can drive. I picked up the PVC pipes and caps(for the bottom of the locally and ordered all the T, L and + fittings from http://flexpvc.com/index.shtml.
Since all the pipes stay together by simple friction it is really easy to take apart and stow, reconfigure, or use it as I do as a sleeping platform in our tent with our non-food gear stowed underneath. I'm also working on reconfiguring the PVC into a shower stall for my hot water shower. http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...nda Element/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey brother Zinc...

This looks like the easiest setup of all. Just wondering, I didn't see your measurements or piece list. Also, did you hinge the wood ? And, did you attach the wood at all to the pvc ? I want something easy, & as luck has it, i'm only 5'4", but my dog is 100 lbs lol...

Any help or a pm with directions would be perfect. I appreciate it...

Thanx
David

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lytepipe,
I'll measure this weekend. I do have it set up so when I put the last section in, the front seats need to be all the way forward. I'm 6'1" so I need all the room. One change I made is to cut the last section of plywood in half (parallel to the direction of travel) so I can have the full length set up just behind the passenger seat if I wish. That way one can sleep and one can drive. I picked up the PVC pipes and caps(for the bottom of the locally and ordered all the T, L and + fittings from http://flexpvc.com/index.shtml.
Since all the pipes stay together by simple friction it is really easy to take apart and stow, reconfigure, or use it as I do as a sleeping platform in our tent with our non-food gear stowed underneath. I'm also working on reconfiguring the PVC into a shower stall for my hot water shower. http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...nda Element/
Hi Zinguy,
Did you happen to get around to those measurements? I'd love to put one of these together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
1 1/4 inch PVC

Sorry, it's been busy.
Using 1 1/4 inch PVC- the legs are 9" except for the front 3 which I cut to fit ( I have caps on all of them for the bottom)
The 8 pieces that run across the car are 18"
The 6 pieces that run paralelle to the car for the two back sections are 22 1/4
The last 3 that suppor the wood closest to the front are 20"
The corner fittings, "T's", etc all add length. I just slide them together and take them apart. No glue. I have Velcro on the wood and connecting PVC pieces so the plywood doesn't move around. Just lay it all out and it should make sense.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks a lot, Zinguy!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep, this is the one I will eventually build for me & Apollo... The hatch release is a great idea as well. Need to look up more on that...

Thanx
David

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP!! I'm in need of plans for this bed/platform

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are psyched on our new 2006 Element! Looking to start building our platform today! So many great ideas on this forum. :) BUT but but..... I'm struggling to find the plans for this bed/platform. The link posted by snarf on pg 12 isn't working out for me. Can anyone email the plans to me? We're open of other plans as well. The PVC/plywood seems like a great option though.

[email protected]

Thanks in advance.

T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plans emailed to you

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are psyched on our new 2006 Element! Looking to start building our platform today! So many great ideas on this forum. :) BUT but but..... I'm struggling to find the plans for this bed/platform. The link posted by snarf on pg 12 isn't working out for me. Can anyone email the plans to me? We're open of other plans as well. The PVC/plywood seems like a great option though.

[email protected]

Thanks in advance.

T
I emailed you two different plans that I gathered of this thread a few years back. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what we ended up doing....

Originally, I really wanted to build a platform. I wanted to invest the time and have fun building something that was going to serve a purpose. Unfortunately, when it came down to it, time and flexibility was an issue. We didn't want to make anything permanent in case the next owner wasn't a fan of our 'do it yourself' workmanship. We also needed to hurry up and get on the road! So this is just a short video on what we came up with. The idea was suggested to us by someone from this thread here on the EOC. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. :) Thanks.

I'd have to say, this worked perfectly for us. My boyfriend is 6'2 and he was snug but comfy. We slept in the E for about 5 months. :)

Sleeping on Storage containers:
Pros:
saved every inch of storage space
plenty of head room
easy
flexible

Cons:
Only 2 seater
little more expensive than a platform. ($240 +tax for the crates)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWOn8yArjc

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i like it, but i'm 6'5" and 210... worried about the containers flexing and collapsing over time and i know for a fact that i can't fit behind those front seats alone, much less with another person. your Tetris skills are impressive though =P. let us know how they hold up over time. maybe that will be my Bonnaroo bed this year

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your covered foam looks really nice. I also had foam cut to size, but in one huge piece. Maybe I will cut it in half making it easier to cover.

What is the netting that you used for the rear?

Thanks for your post. Simple but effective. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
- We were also worried about the weight, we just made sure to spread the weight over different crates. We got the crates at The Container Store (not Crate and Barrel, I made a mistake when I wrote that) and they had even heavier duty crates that seemed bombproof! Super thick lid. Bit pricier, but I think it would work fine. We really liked these crates because they were see-though, cheaper and shorter maximizing headroom. :)

- The net was made from.. bug netting. I don't know any other name for it. Sorry. :) Not sure the name for it other than that. Other material: velcro tags and elastic were sewn on to hold it in place. I think a better option might be, only elastic and large enough to wrap around the entire car.

Happy Elementing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,

First post here! I'm intrigued at the many designs for the custom bed frame. I'm looking for Pookster's plans and measurements. Or something similar. (I sifted through the pages and couldn't find anything, maybe I missed it?) I plan on building a PVC frame and plywood for it so I can store boxes underneath the mattress.

Would anyone be so kind as to send me the plans via e-mail? [email protected]. That would be greatly appreciated. Love the site and the DIY info. Great stuff!

J

161 - 180 of 191 Posts