Honda Element Owners Club banner

pookSter's Bed for the Element (with pics)

363K views 193 replies 87 participants last post by  ph27rwg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Going camping with my new Steel Tent. As in another thread I stated that once you threw down a mattress, there is no room to stow your gear. This is what I came up with. Going for a trial run next month so I will tell ya all how I made out.

I made it out of 36 feet of ABS tubing, Various T's, and 90 deg elbows. The Tubing was all glued and screwed except for the ones that hold the center supports to the side rails. This way you can still take it apart to store it when not in use.

I found that with a good Air mattress on top, futher center supports was not needed, especially since the plastic Tote boxes are as high as the frame. I left the center supports out of the back part to allow higher storage and easier access. The mattress is rigid enough that it does not fall through without the boxes, but the boxes do add extra support.

I have documented the lenghts of all the pieces, but have not scanned it yet. If you are interested, email me and when I get it done, I will send ya a copy....Happy Camping

...PookSter

Sorry, no pics with the mattress yet but a Double Bed Mattress 54inches wide by 76 inches long by 6 inches high fits nicely

See less See more
#4 ·
that's a GREAT idea.

i shared this thread with an on-line bass community. as i said there, a little taller, and you could store larger music gear!

the tailgate could be the dining room table!

THANKS!

fred

#6 ·
Well, I just got back from camping. My Wife and I spent almost a week in the Element, just sleeping where ever we ended up that day. Just thought I would report back on how I made out with the ABS Bed Frame. I gota tell you, it went off without a hitch.

We were very comfortable sleeping on the mattress on top of the bed frame and we had more than enough storage area. With the dark tint all way round, we didn't even need a privacy curtain. Some areas we ended up people walked right on by and didn't notice a thing.

#8 ·
Thanks PookSter! I am going to build one for my frequent trips between So. Cal and Portland Oregon. I usually stay at a KOA in Mount Shasta, but what a hassle setting up "camp" after a long day of driving. It looks like I can get all my crap for REAL camping under the frame and just plop!

KOA's. Yech...but safer than a rest stop..

#9 ·
I just picked up a couple of rubbermade totes that were about 14.5 inches tall and my cooler which is about the same height. Once you have the frame made, you can pretty much use anything that will maximize the space.

..sorry, no pics of under the frame, just the one of the mattress on top

#12 ·
I use the totes too! Sterlite makes a blue one that matches the interior perfectly. I have 6, they fit in the cargo area perfectly, and 3 slide under the tailgate when I camp, the other 3 are tables!

#13 ·
pookster! Awesome! Will you please send me the plans also gategate@go.com. Many thanks! this is wonderful and will work great with the homemade privacy curtain I just finished. Orage flowers! Peace, Patty

#14 ·
Just finished making the frame. I can't figure out how you got a double mattress in the back. The width I can only measure 40''??? Length 60'' with the seats in place for driving. I have been search for a short and wide airbed, futon, or matress. Any idea? Let me know about the bed size. What am I missing? Is yours bigger :) Also Pookster, What about the console between the front seats, that looks cool. What is it? Patty

#17 ·
What a great idea. I struggle sleeping on an inflatable matress when I go camping, so a proper matress for those weekend getaways would be nice. But I have to ask you, where do you get the black ABS (I assume ABS is that plastic piping that I get in my local DIY stores like Lowes, or Homedepot etc). The only color I've seen is the white, but I think by your photos that the black is definately in order.

#18 ·
I bought the black ABS tubing at the nearest plumbing supply store. Everything cost about $30. Hope that helps. I don't know how ABS differs from PVC, I'm curious. Anyway, yesterday I bought a futon for the back. It is in two parts, a loveseat and ottoman. The love seat is 54X54 inches and the ottoman pillow is 22 inches. When driving the front seats can be back and the ottoman pillow just sits on top of the loveseat futon. When we set up the bed, the ottoman rests nicely next to the tailgate on the frame and totes to make a 76 inch bed. We are trying it out this weekend in Trinidad Calif. You can look for us at the Emerald Forrest Campground under the Redwood trees. Peace, Patty

#20 ·
Any body out there have pookSter's specifications for the bed frame??
I would like to build it cause my dog and I are going to run up the coast to Oregon next month to deliver paintings for a gallery. We would like to have a bed ready in case we can't find a motel that will take a 100 lb Weimaraner.
I have a silver 2003 EX, blue interior,Pioneer speakers, hidden hitch.Bought it used a month ago!!!!
Any information or dimensions for bedframe...please!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.