Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud new element owner. I just purchased a 2007 SC. I drive mostly on freeway at 70 mph with a/c on and am only getting 20.2 miles per gallon. I was hoping to get better than that. I mean its only a 2.4, I was hoping to be at least 25 mpg. Is this common? Thanks for all feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I am a proud new element owner. I just purchased a 2007 SC. I drive mostly on freeway at 70 mph with a/c on and am only getting 20.2 miles per gallon. I was hoping to get better than that. I mean its only a 2.4, I was hoping to be at least 25 mpg. Is this common? Thanks for all feedback.
Its a box, its aerodynamically challenged. Think of trying to push a
brick through the wind.

WELCOME!!!!

Post some pix of your ride!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
This time of year (A/C on) I get about 24 in the 70-75 mph range. In Nice weather I get about 25-26 with a tailwind and long interstate trips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got about that going 74-79 on a trip from IL to AL. Was disappointed but better than my trooper.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It does seem like it should be a little better than that. Have you already checked the simple stuff like tire pressure and air filter condition?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Its a square box, remember those days as a young kid and your parents bringing home a new refrigerator and you going outside to play in the box on the driveway and you getting only 2 feet every 5 minutes....Same thing..19.0-23.mpg:lol:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
what fuel do you use? is it a top tier company? are your tires properly inflated for fuel economy? are you using fuel efficient tires? have you tried running at 60-65mph? is it stock? or was it modified by last owner? check/clean your air filter,MAF,TB and rest of intake tract.
have you thought of adding a belly pan or diffusers to even out the rough aerodynamics hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what fuel do you use? is it a top tier company? are your tires properly inflated for fuel economy? are you using fuel efficient tires? have you tried running at 60-65mph? is it stock? or was it modified by last owner? check/clean your air filter,MAF,TB and rest of intake tract.
have you thought of adding a belly pan or diffusers to even out the rough aerodynamics hehe
Yes it's 100% stock. I use shell gas 89 octane. As far as tires I have the stock Goodyear Eagle LS and are inflated to 35psi. I'm anal about maintence so when I got home I installed a new air filter and fuel filter and changed oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. I havent tried to do 60-65 cause here in Florida they will just run you off the road for going that slow. Thanks for your input and I'll just deal with it cause I love my little truck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes it's 100% stock. I use shell gas 89 octane. As far as tires I have the stock Goodyear Eagle LS and are inflated to 35psi. I'm anal about maintence so when I got home I installed a new air filter and fuel filter and changed oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. I havent tried to do 60-65 cause here in Florida they will just run you off the road for going that slow. Thanks for your input and I'll just deal with it cause I love my little truck.

you changed the fuel filter???as far as i know the fuel filter is inside the tank can someone confirm if theres an in-line fuel filter,,,thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
The gas mileage you get from your car depends on how fast you're driving. Gas efficiency increases as your speed increases up to your car's optimal speed. This is because there are functions that require energy no matter how fast you drive. Most cars achieve maximal fuel efficiency when driven between 55 and 60 miles per hour; this is the speed at which the car is traveling when the company records its maximum miles per gallon rating. Efficiency decreases at higher speeds because of the increase in energy required to overcome wind resistance, which increases exponentially--meaning the wind resistance is significantly greater when you're driving 75 miles per hour than at 55 mph. The national speed limit was set to 55 mph n the 1970s. For every five miles per hour you drive over the optimal speed, gas mileage decreases by about seven percent.

I guess to get better MPG, slow down? If you're getting 20mpg with A/C on traveling at or above 70mph in a vehicle that has the shape of a brick, I would say cudos to Honda because that is a great MPG considering all the factors

·
Registered
751 Posts
With this heat, I've been able to get about 20 mpg around town and 23 mpg on the highway.

Here in FL we are handicapped by the 10% ethanol fuel. Honestly, I'm sure who isn't forced to use 10% ethanol in the US. I was under the impression that it was going to be required by the beginning of this year.

You also have the heat working against you, forcing the use of the a/c.

The best I've seen was when I drove some back roads up to Jacksonville during February and I was consistently under 60 mph. That was when I was able to achieve 25 mpg. I have yet to see fuel mileage like that again.

As you know, you can't go that slow on the highway and if you don't accelerate quickly enough, you can get into trouble.

I have an EX so I don't know if the tire pressure thing applies, but I've been able to coax a little better milage out of the E by running "over inflated." However, it's been discussed in detail how Honda might be recommending an under inflated tire pressure for the LX and EX in the name of comfort, sacrificing fuel mileage and tire wear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here in North Carolina I have been keeping pretty tight track of my mpg's.

My Average is 21.002 mpg
Minimum: 18.112 mpg
Maximum: 23.672 mpg

Avg $/gal: $2.620
Total FillUps: 34
Total Gallons: 403.53
Total Miles: 8,475.00

Your results may vary..

-simpson

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just returned from a 1200 mile trip with A/C on, loaded with stuff, 10% ethanol, etc. Almost all Interstate driving at an indicated 70 MPH (GPS says 69 actual). I averaged about 26 MPG. I have averaged almost 28 on same trip once when I only went 65-68. I'm very picky about tire pressure also. Mine is a standard E, so I make sure I run the recommended 3 lbs more pressure in rear to aid stability. Helps a lot in cross winds, etc. SC takes same pressure F/R with it's shorter sidewall tires.

I believe if I ran 75-80, fuel economy would go down like the Titanic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tire pressure can make a noticeable difference. In our 03 EX 5 speed manual, with oversize tires, we averaged 22mpg on a trip from FL to VA and back this month.. Use to get 26mpg before the oversize tires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some of the oversize wheels and tires I see some folks on here putting on their E's add so much rotating weight and aero drag they can really hurt acceleration and braking....which also would not be beneficial for fuel economy. If we had 500 HP or something, maybe it wouldn't matter, but you will always get better fuel economy with skinny, hi pressure, modern tires designed for fuel economy (check out the tires on a Prius).

I don't understand why folks want to mod an Element. Nothing you can do to the suspension, wheels/tires, or engine can make this a performance vehicle. I can understand mods that improve utility, that's the kind of vehicle it is. The only mod I might would consider would be better (maybe adjustable) struts and shocks when my stock units get some miles on them.

If you want a relatively cheap platform that responds well to mods, then get a new V8 Mustang. You can make that have over 500 HP with power adders, improve braking and handling, and improve performance so easy. (and I've done all that before)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Some of the oversize wheels and tires I see some folks on here putting on their E's add so much rotating weight and aero drag they can really hurt acceleration and braking....which also would not be beneficial for fuel economy. If we had 500 HP or something, maybe it wouldn't matter, but you will always get better fuel economy with skinny, hi pressure, modern tires designed for fuel economy (check out the tires on a Prius).

I don't understand why folks want to mod an Element.
People have their reasons... While not a performance vehicle, different tires will have an affect on handling. That's why some people go with the all-terrain tires. Also, some people like more choice and have found that a slight change in tire size opens up more options. Others are mainly concerned about aesthetics and will make choices that appeal to them.

You are right, if you want fuel economy, go with a skinny, hi pressure, hard compound tire. Honda made the compromises they did in an effort to please as many people as possible.

Personally, I prefer a little better rain performance over fuel economy, so when I get new tires, I'll go with something a little different than what Honda used for OEM tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you changed the fuel filter???as far as i know the fuel filter is inside the tank can someone confirm if theres an in-line fuel filter,,,thanks
I screwed that up. I changed the transmission filter not fuel filter. There is no fuel filter on the E. I only use 89 octane cause the higher the octane the more detergents you get in the fuel.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I screwed that up. I changed the transmission filter not fuel filter. There is no fuel filter on the E. I only use 89 octane cause the higher the octane the more detergents you get in the fuel.
oh..that tranny filter..iam still having bad flashbacks from when i did mine..lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts