Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2008 Element XL, 97,000 mi. Great auto but radio sucks. The radio was Pioneer that looked nice, but had poor reception. Took it to an auto radio shop some distance from home and was sold another Pioneer radio with the same results when I got home. Took it back and it was determined that the OEC antenna was the problem, but they would not attempt to replace it. Has anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions for fixing the problem? My previous vehicle, Mercury Mariner, got great AM reception at home.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone?

I too have this issue. My other cars get much better reception (AM or FM) than my E.

Please let us know. Thanks. : - )

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’ve got a 2003 lost ability to receive radio waves 5 years ago? I replaced the antenna and the head unit didn’t fix. I’m thinking it’s the antenna cable but I have podcasts to listen to and I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To help you guys out, the radio antenna needs to be amplified and with the stock radio, this is done. With an aftermarket, it's not. The AM portion of the stock radio works great because it is feeding power to the antenna. When installing an aftermarket radio, you lose the AM reception because of this. Sadly, most people dont know this, chop off the stock plug and put a standard "Motorola" style plug on it and the FM will work fine if your in a city, but the AM goes bye bye. I for one will not change the stock radio as it is the BEST AM radio of any vehicle I have ever owned. So to answer the OP's question, your right, it's an antenna issue and the issue is the antenna is not getting the power it needs to amplify itself for the radio. I have a 2008 E SC and yours maybe the same if you drop the headliner down where the antenna is, you will see it has several wires coming out. One of those wires carries power from the radio to the antenna, without it, it won't work any better then a 2 inch piece of wire sticking out of the back of the radio. I wish you were in the Phoenix area, I would help you out.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks for your input Radioguy08. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject.

But, I have a completely stock radio and (rated) 270 watt sound system in my 2003 EX, and still get poor reception. AM or FM. : - (

My antenna base was broken and no antenna at all when I first bought the car. It got very little reception that way as expected. Then I replaced the damaged base with a used base from an '04 EX. So with just a base, still no antenna, there was a considerable improvement in the reception; but still weak of course. So. later I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff antenna on that infamous auction site that starts with an e. (It was $7 delivered; I couldn't resist!) It looked pretty much identical to an original antenna, and they said it was made from the finest materials (although they never mentioned what those materials were!). So with said cheap antenna, there was only a slight improvement in reception over just the base! And the reception now is still much worse than any of my other cars.

Now I must admit, I didn't think (and didn't know about) to check for any power to the antenna base when I replaced it. The '04 base looked identical to (at least what was left of) my broken one. I really don't want to tear into replacing or checking that antenna base again! It's rather difficult to remove all those interior pieces and headliner; especially when your E does not have a sunroof! : - (

So, with all that said, what do you think?

Is the cheap antenna the culprit here?

Is there a fuse or something that I can check without removing the antenna base?

Any other possibilities?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! : - )

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is just one data point but i believe that my 2011 E has original radio and antenna/base and rececption on am and fm is noticably weaker than in most other vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased a 2008 Element XL, 97,000 mi. Great auto but radio sucks. The radio was Pioneer that looked nice, but had poor reception. Took it to an auto radio shop some distance from home and was sold another Pioneer radio with the same results when I got home. Took it back and it was determined that the OEC antenna was the problem, but they would not attempt to replace it. Has anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions for fixing the problem? My previous vehicle, Mercury Mariner, got great AM reception at home.
A follow up to the above message: I would like to purchase a used/remanufactured radio for my 2008 LX. Apparently the radio is specific to that year and model or it will not work. I do not have the original radio to determine the model number. 39101-SCV-A310-M1 radio is offered for sale with the indication that it will fit 2007-2011 Elements. However, the listing does not indicate it will fit the LX model. If I order it and it will not work, they charge a re-stock fee of 25% plus cost of shipping. Does anyone have experience with installing a used/remanufactured OME radio? If so, did you have problems, and, how was reception?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts